US Diesel's big splash introduction

I was contemplating if to get the diesel or the gas, but decided not to wait and got the gas ... back in 2013, when I got my 2014 ;)
I will be keeping it for at least 2 more years, maybe 3.

Mazda has a track record of making announcements and then failing to deliver. My next new car must offer Android Auto to be considered, preferably a 2nd gen embedded Android Auto. We'll see.

Correct, urea would be for the US. Ultimately they gave up on putting diesel in the 6 for the US because they had been planning to do it without urea and couldn't get it how they wanted. Sounds like they thought there was some magic formula because VW had figured it out. Once the VW scandal broke, they capitulated and decided to use DEF in the US diesel engine for the CX-5.

That brings us to present where they said it was coming in 2017, didn't bring it, gave no update on status other than they are working with the EPA and CARB and are still committed to it, and have left us hanging.

Which, BTW, is almost verbatim what they were saying about the 6 when it was "delayed". Although now, the excuse is a little more plausible after the VW scandal.

As I have said before, a little bit more communication from Mazda NO wouldn't go astray

As I have said before, a little bit more communication from Mazda NO wouldn't go astray

OTOH, contradictory, misleading, vague, or false information can be worse than none.
There may be very good reasons Mazda is not more forthcoming about their plans at any given time.

I'll be shopping for my new vehicle by June
If Mazda can't deliver the cx-5 diesel, I'll go PHEV or EV
My work place will install chargers by that time and I'll get free charging
But it'd be a decision between EV or PHEV
And Tesla is out of the equation as I see them overpriced
I'll compromise and take what Mazda gives if they can't give what I want

OTOH, contradictory, misleading, vague, or false information can be worse than none.
There may be very good reasons Mazda is not more forthcoming about their plans at any given time.
Mazda would be stupid to give that type of information. Opens them up to lawsuits

Mazda would be stupid to give that type of information. Opens them up to lawsuits

Good point. I think they are walking a narrow path right now with the US regulatory agencies. Plus I am assuming the laws and regs are constantly changing due to the VW fiasco so passing the test a few months ago means nothing if new tests are being planned and implemented.
Just like moving the goalposts on the oval Xeler8ing

Exactly. And they're not stupid.
So if they don't know what they're going to do or are not sure, they're better off say nothing.
And if they have "business reasons" to not divulge, they won't say anything.
You can be sure they're thinking about what they want to say and should say, and don't give two craps what we think about it.

Yes but saying nothing leads to people complaining about no information. Catch 22

Good point. I think they are walking a narrow path right now with the US regulatory agencies. Plus I am assuming the laws and regs are constantly changing due to the VW fiasco so passing the test a few months ago means nothing if new tests are being planned and implemented.
Just like moving the goalposts on the oval Xeler8ing
(iagree)

Yes but saying nothing leads to people complaining about no information. Catch 22

You can be sure they're thinking about what they want to say and should say, and don't give two craps what we think about it.
It's only a problem for you.

It's only a problem for you.

Not a problem for me as previously stated Mazda Australia communicate pretty well. They spoke about evaluating the CX-4 & CX-8 publicly and the CX-8 is now coming

My point is the issue lies with the specific country's HQ - case in point Mazda NO.

There should be a mantra from Japan that all local Mazda HQ's communicate as best as they can

Last edited:
Hopefully that will improve as Alabama gets built and open and the CX-X is assembled in the USA.

That CX-8 does look sharp. That might do well in the states as the three row crossover sales continue to grow.

Hopefully that will improve as Alabama gets built and open and the CX-X is assembled in the USA.

That CX-8 does look sharp. That might do well in the states as the three row crossover sales continue to grow.

Apparently Mazda Australia is also looking at the CX-X. Don't know if a diesel engine is in the pipeline for that model

Apparently Mazda Australia is also looking at the CX-X. Don't know if a diesel engine is in the pipeline for that model

I couldn’t imagine it would not be. Diesel engines have good success in your neck of the world. Just like Europe. Isn’t the 2.2 Diesel a twin turbo?

Back