US Diesel's big splash introduction

Going back on topic....

KF Series CX-5 diesel engine bay:

f9jk9e.jpg

yes plz.

My search for alternatives to Mazda's CX-5 diesel continues and then this new Ford caught my eye. I have to say that at first I thought no, but then as I scrolled through the photos it is starting to grow on me and now I think it has a cool factor.

What do you guys think?

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ford-transit-connect-wagon-is-a-diesel-van-for-1822830542

Selling that with both hands..30mpg highway..waat? Hey kids check out my new dorkmobile..it stands out but not in a good way for me.

Ugly, poor mileage for a diesel and low end towing capacity.... May as well just get a better looking, similar mileage/towing and likely far better driving gas CX5 IMO.

A diesel update (of sorts) from my Google Alerts:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-new-skyactiv-technology-in-japan-123399.html

2019 Mazda CX-5 Gets 190 HP Diesel and New Skyactiv Technology in Japan

Even though the CX-5 is practically brand new, Mazda has just announced sweeping engine changes in Japan. They're so good that we just had to put up with Google Translate.

Both gasoline and diesel versions will get stuff under the hood, which Mazda says is trickling down from the more substantial CX-8 model.

On the gasoline front, the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter Skyactiv models have been updated with "edge cut pistons" and "low resistance pistons." You can check out the stepped edge piston in the photo gallery, together with an ultra-light new injector they installed.

2019-mazda-cx-5-gets-190-hp-diesel-and-new-skyactiv-technology-in-japan_11.jpg

So what do they do? Well, Mazda says you will be able to notice slightly lower fuel consumption while cruising at constant speed on a highway. Less wasteful combustion is achieved by reliably vaporizing fuel before it adheres to the cylinder wall surface by high diffusion spraying. Also, by adopting a new PCM (Powertrain Control Module) that can perform more accurate fuel injection control, particulate matter in the exhaust gas can be reduced.

The two Skyactiv-G engines also have better anti-knock performance and better thermal management in the winter through a revised exhaust port and flow rate of cooling water.

We've saved the best until the end: a 2.2-liter diesel with more power. Right now, the CX-5's Skyactiv-D puts out 175 HP and 420 Nm. However, by using new pistons and a variable geometry turbocharger, it now delivers 190 HP and 450 Nm. Matching the VW Tiguan on power, but beating it on torque.

Beyond that, the improvements to the CX-5 include equipment such as a 360-degree view monitor, tweaked fabric trim, speed-sensitive door locks or available powered tailgate on all trims. There's even an SUV for the people with mobility impairments, featuring an awesome-looking remote-control telescopic seat.

We don't know when these changes will be announced in Europe and America, but it shouldn't take too long.

With the reports North America was getting a 'more powerful engine', I assume it will be something like above if/when the EPA ever gets off its duff.

Ugly, poor mileage for a diesel and low end towing capacity.... May as well just get a better looking, similar mileage/towing and likely far better driving gas CX5 IMO.

With the reports North America was getting a 'more powerful engine', I assume it will be something like above if/when the EPA ever gets off its duff.

Can you link/cite such reports?

Sorry, the EPA has essentially been shut down until further notice. But that may actually mean quicker approval....

Maybe this is the [or one] reason for the delay. Maybe they're waiting for this newer diesel to be ready for production.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-new-skyactiv-technology-in-japan-123399.html

That new/updated diesel in Japan which we are apparently getting as well is 140KW 450NM (188HP 332FT/LB) up from 129KW 420NM (173HP 310FT/LB)

Last edited:
Sorry, the EPA has essentially been shut down until further notice. But that may actually mean quicker approval....

Maybe this is the [or one] reason for the delay. Maybe they're waiting for this newer diesel to be ready for production.

I'm pretty sure I've read all of the posts in this thread that talk about the car. There may have been one of the reviews that mention performance or power, but I don't remember anything definitive. I was hopeful when I saw the CX8 was close to 190hp, but the EPA filing post listed something in the 170s and that brought be back down to earth.

I'm pretty sure I've read all of the posts in this thread that talk about the car. There may have been one of the reviews that mention performance or power, but I don't remember anything definitive. I was hopeful when I saw the CX8 was close to 190hp, but the EPA filing post listed something in the 170s and that brought be back down to earth.

The extra torque should make more of a difference (+22ft/lb [30NM]) than the extra power (+15hp [11KW])

Ive been waiting over a year for the diesel here to come....gonna jump on a gas one instead. While the tourqe would be nice, Im not looking forward to any after treatment crap / dpf . I'll sit it out.

Ive been waiting over a year for the diesel here to come....gonna jump on a gas one instead. While the tourqe would be nice, Im not looking forward to any after treatment crap / dpf . I'll sit it out.

I gave up on the diesel and have NO regrets. I have ‘17 GT premium (didn’t want cylinder deactivation - not a fan of complication) and love the driving. I was concerned about power and mpg but there’s plenty of power (flat midwestern terrain). I was previously accustomed to 38 - 47 mpg but I’m slowly accepting the trade off.

Just really liking it.

I gave up on the diesel and have NO regrets. I have ‘17 GT premium (didn’t want cylinder deactivation - not a fan of complication) and love the driving. I was concerned about power and mpg but there’s plenty of power (flat midwestern terrain). I was previously accustomed to 38 - 47 mpg but I’m slowly accepting the trade off.

Just really liking it.

I second everything... although I went from a V6 so MPG is better for me.

Torque of diesel is good but you need to be doing alot of mileage to get the full benefits of a diesel engine

I don't need the full benefits. I want the torque and range. Coming from a V6.

If ones driving is predominately city then diesel doesn't make that much sense.

More for freeway/motorway driving and towing

But as always up to the individual :)

If ones driving is predominately city then diesel doesn't make that much sense.

More for freeway/motorway driving and towing

But as always up to the individual :)

I wanted a diesel for torque thinking I wanted it for towing and maybe acceleration. Then my wife reminded me I rarely tow anything - even my utility trailer never hauls more then a #200 at a time. And then i found out you need to add Urea or some additive per tank, so what does that do to cost per mile?

Anyway, if it had been out, i may have looked at it, but Mazda doesn't have a good track record for coming soon announcements and I was tired of waiting. I am enjoying my 2017 - best car i have had in a long time.

I wanted a diesel for torque thinking I wanted it for towing and maybe acceleration. Then my wife reminded me I rarely tow anything - even my utility trailer never hauls more then a #200 at a time. And then i found out you need to add Urea or some additive per tank, so what does that do to cost per mile?

Anyway, if it had been out, i may have looked at it, but Mazda doesn't have a good track record for coming soon announcements and I was tired of waiting. I am enjoying my 2017 - best car i have had in a long time.

You add urea more like every 10 tanks, and it isn't expensive. Comparable to oil changes in frequency and expense.

I expect the diesel to feel better to drive, effortless acceleration, without all the high revving wind up.

No adding urea here if I am not mistaken

Correct, urea would be for the US. Ultimately they gave up on putting diesel in the 6 for the US because they had been planning to do it without urea and couldn't get it how they wanted. Sounds like they thought there was some magic formula because VW had figured it out. Once the VW scandal broke, they capitulated and decided to use DEF in the US diesel engine for the CX-5.

That brings us to present where they said it was coming in 2017, didn't bring it, gave no update on status other than they are working with the EPA and CARB and are still committed to it, and have left us hanging.

Which, BTW, is almost verbatim what they were saying about the 6 when it was "delayed". Although now, the excuse is a little more plausible after the VW scandal.

Latest posts

Back