US Diesel's big splash introduction

I'm expecting an announcement in the next month or two.
Happened to be able to spend some time with some Execs @ MNAO and it sounds like they're excited to finally launch the Diesel.

I'm expecting an announcement in the next month or two.
Happened to be able to spend some time with some Execs @ MNAO and it sounds like they're excited to finally launch the Diesel.

Did they advise why the delays (uhm)

Did they advise why the delays (uhm)

Delays typically mean something is not ready.
To get something ready, changes must be made.
Changes made after deadlines are passed are typically not what engineers originally had in mind , or...it would be done originally.

This chain of logic further sours the idea of the cx5 d to me.

Delays typically mean something is not ready.
To get something ready, changes must be made.
Changes made after deadlines are passed are typically not what engineers originally had in mind , or...it would be done originally.

This chain of logic further sours the idea of the cx5 d to me.
Could also be due to supply issues or government regulations

Supply of what?
Have regulations changed lately?

Color me suspicious.

They sell more diesels in Europe hence supply issues elsewhere (scratch)
No idea but seems its harder to comply in the USA than it is elsewhere (scratch)

I am speculating.. until Mazda comes out and says why there is delays, we can on speculate

Getting a 50 state passenger vehicle diesel OK'd certainly hasn't gotten any easier over the years but I really believe we have Vag to thank (both for its eventuality and its delayed arrival) in the US.

I would not expect a US only announcement to come at the Tokyo show, rather more likely to hear something at the LA or Detroit show.

the delay has zero to do with supply issues.
The short answer to the question is: blame VW.
the approval process for the EPA and C.A.R.B. (CA where MNAO is headquartered) has gotten absolutely ridiculous in the wake of the VW emissions scandal.

Here's a plausible explanation for diesel delay. Originally they'd planned for the diesel to be a 2017 model, but when they realized it wouldn't be finalized for sale until this winter, they decided to make it an 18 model. Now that it is an 18 model, they need to finalize all of the 18 configuration and details for both gas and diesel before they can release the diesel.

Pretty sure its what Jedi said, nothing more..again we may have VW scandal to thank (for Mazda seeing an opportunity and trying again) and almost certainly to blame (for it being delayed)

Last edited:
the delay has zero to do with supply issues.
The short answer to the question is: blame VW.
the approval process for the EPA and C.A.R.B. (CA where MNAO is headquartered) has gotten absolutely ridiculous in the wake of the VW emissions scandal.

Basically USA regulations.

It will be time to worry, if they announce the 2018 model without including the diesel.

they pulled the plug on that Diesel 6 because Mazda was determined (aka stubborn) to somehow make a diesel with great efficiency AND performance without the use of the pisser tank. (DEF)
I mean, if VW can do it... yeahhhh.... about that.

Latest posts

Back