US$70 for black lug nut? (Discount Tire)

Heat

I just ordered some new tires and rims for my '09 Mazda5 - I think I got a good deal but the only thing I'm questioning after the fact is the price for blackened lug nuts. US$70 total, or $17.50 per wheel.

Here are the wheels, Drag DR-34. My Mazda5 is red, I think that the red ring on the wheel will look sharp once it's installed.

drad34.fbr.large.jpg

and the tire, 205 55 R16, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Yes, I downsized to 16" wheels - I still have my OEM rims which I will probably just keep in the garage. We don't get a ton of snow where I live (central Illinois) so I don't really need snow tires. If you want to search for 16" tires at Discounttire.com, enter your vehicle as a 2009 MAZDA 3 S-SPORT 4-DOOR (TPMS).

mmihhi.ang.jpg

The price for these is a little hard to figure out since I also bought two new tires for my other car, but probably about $1,150 after a $60 rebate, and nine months of no interest on their credit card. Total price was $1,400 with two Michelin Destiny tires for my other car (195 65R15). Road hazard warranty on all six tires.

I'll post some pictures in the the tire thread once I get them installed which will be in a week or so (the wheels / lug nuts were special order).

But back to the lug nuts - $70 seems really high for a set of nuts. Are there Mazda OEM black nuts or another source, and if so how much? Their price for the silver nuts was $50 (it's $45 online, the "wheel kit" or whatever they call it). The extra $20 was because it was powdercoated nuts (black).

Had another question - my Yokohama OEM tires had 3/16" tread left except for the inside edge of all four tires, which was worn bare on all four tires. Why would all four tires be worn on the inside? Do I need an alignment or an adjustment on the camber? I don't think I have a toe problem, I thought that that was fixed for the '08s (I have an '09).

For what it's worth, the Yokohama's made it 27,500 miles.

Last edited:
I think those rims and tires are a nice choice would look quite nice on a cooper red Mz5.

$70 for lug nuts? Jeebus!! Not sure what the prices are now-a-days but Google Gorilla (Taiwan made $) or McGuard (US made $$) for the best bang for the buck.

Are you on lowering springs by chance?

Last edited:
Hmm... I checked out the McGuards - they are $50 to $60 for a set of 20. The Gorillas were a little cheaper.

OEM lug nuts are about $6.50 each, so about $140 for a set. I guess $70 isn't completely out of line.

Had another question though - should I be using black, or silver, lug nuts? If silver I could just use the ones I currently have. I'm not really sure how the style is supposed to look.

Note the silver fake lug nuts:

drad34.fbr.xl.jpg

Back