Unexplainable Rattle in my Pro5

Here's another example - when the car's warmed up, this is only when it happens. When I accellerate slowly, it starts to grind/rattle, but when I "get on it", the noise goes away, and when i slow down (mind you, my foot is still applying pressure to the gas pedal), the noise will return.

It's not loud, but significant enough to drive you NUTS!

The same thing was happening to my car, then 2 months later my engine blew.... have it looked at. It only gets worse after time. But to be sure its the same thing i would have to hear it myself

I have the same noise I think. The higher the rpms, the louder it gets in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. God I hope it's not my engine. I just bought the thing!

I have the same noise I think. The higher the rpms, the louder it gets in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. God I hope it's not my engine. I just bought the thing!

Mine was feint at idle and kicked up significantly around 2200rpm. At first I though it was a valve, but then one day driving down road the car stalled and broke a piston and cracked. But from wat I'm reading in this thread doesn't sound like my engine, mine bacame loud and very very annoying

Ok guys, sorry to keep you waiting, it's been a long week. I had taken the liberty of changing my oil, and i made sure i had no metal shavings in my oil - I changed my sparkplugs, wires, air filter and blinker fluid (that's for ya'll that aren't paying attention).

I have TRIED to make the noise I was hearing come back, and I have not heard it as of recent. Maybe I had some part of the aluminum frame of my cold air intake come loose inside my intake. I can't explain it, but so far so good. I forgot to check the J-Pipe exhaust shield, i'll have to do that this weekend.

To be honest, if my engine goes, then it's all the reason I need to explain to my wife that I need a new 09 speed 3. LOL

Last edited:
Ok guys, sorry to keep you waiting, it's been a long week. I had taken the liberty of changing my oil, and i made sure i had no metal shavings in my oil - I changed my sparkplugs, wires, air filter and blinker fluid (that's for ya'll that aren't paying attention).

I have TRIED to make the noise I was hearing come back, and I have not heard it as of recent. Maybe I had some part of the aluminum frame of my cold air intake come loose inside my intake. I can't explain it, but so far so good. I forgot to check the J-Pipe exhaust shield, i'll have to do that this weekend.

To be honest, if my engine goes, then it's all the reason I need to explain to my wife that I need a new 09 speed 3. LOL

So the rattle is gone but you didn't check exhaust or catcon or anything.... interesting... I still have to look at mine.

mine is gone to i rerouted my intake tubing (cheap oreillys one until i can afford a good one) took it completely apart...noise is gone....i too tried to get the noise to come back i was rough on it today....its gone hopefully for good

mine is gone to i rerouted my intake tubing (cheap oreillys one until i can afford a good one) took it completely apart...noise is gone....i too tried to get the noise to come back i was rough on it today....its gone hopefully for good

Can you explain a little more about what you did to the intake to make the noise away?(uhm)

ill post a pic here soon....all i did is added another bend....been super rough on it too hasnt come back...

i have same noise, when the car is warm. 1, 2, and 3 gear, at 2000 to 3500 RPM. In neutral, no noise. So, what did you do to solve the problem.

I don't know how true this is but I have heard from other posts a long time ago that the P5 has a defect with its throttle structure in the sense that after a while 1 of the screws that hold in place or is just located around the are falls in and once that happens it a bi*ch n half to take out but that little screw will make that rattling sound.

but if its the screw, why i have the noise just when the car move. When i push the gaz in neutral, i hear nothing.

Here's another example - when the car's warmed up, this is only when it happens. When I accellerate slowly, it starts to grind/rattle, but when I "get on it", the noise goes away, and when i slow down (mind you, my foot is still applying pressure to the gas pedal), the noise will return.

It's not loud, but significant enough to drive you NUTS!

Got EXACTLY the same problem here. It's like putting microscopic ball-bearings in a glass jar and shaming it...That's the sound.

I finally found the problem. Alternator bearings are shot. I don't have the $$$ for that right now so it will wait..

Noise...Not in idle...Rarely in 1st gear, but when I accelerate moderately it goes on. And when decelerating too...Very weird.

At first, I tought it was in the clutch system, but listening closely it was more of a "rolling" sound. So I got a stetoscope with a metal pin at the end. At idle I put the metal pin on everything that moves. Every pump and other things that the belts are turning. I can hear the bearings turning in the casings. When I touched the alternator. Sound was SO harsh and it was like sand was moving instead of bearings inside the casing.

So maybe check that out too!

Monkeybone, now that you mention it - I didn't hear this noise until I had my engine belts changed. Maybe the new belts are putting more stress on the belt driven utilities that it's making that noise, or was. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the noise went away....maybe the belts had loosened/stretched more to provide more ease of operation.

So it's the alternator bearings for sure that causes this stupid rattle? talking the car in to the shop today.

Noise is louder when engine is cold, because the bearing's casing and it's components are...cold, so they "shrink" and causes friction. When engine is warm everything goes, well, better.

When I apply light force on accelerator it does it, and when I downshift, if I don't press a little bit on the acceleretor, it does it too.

Weird, strange, anoying, why don't I got more money to spend on that freaking machine?(pissed)

P.S. Did a 15hp free mod today, i've put a mazdas247.com sticker on the lower passenger portion of my windshield. Silver on 22V...At least 15hp!(drinks)

Hello all, can anyone tell me if the catalytic for a manual tranny protege5 is any different from the catalytic on an automatic pro5?

Back