Unexplainable Rattle in my Pro5

Donas - even though it's good to hear that someone is experiencing the same issue as I am, it still sucks to hear that you are as well. LOL. So from what I have so far, it may be the heat sheild;

to answer a question, I do not have a short shifter installed. It takes away from the feel of actually shifting a car, and that's why I got a stick shift to begin with :D

I've been running 87 octane for a few, what i'll do is bump it up to high grade 92 octane for a week or two and see if that will help with some smooth operation. right now I still have 1/2 a tank, so i'm not going to do it right away :D

He's talking about early detonation, aka "pinging". Try switching to a higher octane of gas and see if it goes away. Also check your ignition timing to see if it may be overly retarded/advanced. This can cause pinging also.

but detonation is not picky and chose what gears it does it in.....

just try putting your car in 1st gear and hit down on the shifter and see if it makes the noise

I have the same sound (i think...) and it is not the down pipe heat shield (i have the header which eliminated it).

I don't think it is pre-detonation (pinging) because it does not get worse under load - like he says only when RPMs are climbing or dropping through 1400 to 1200-ish...

I am not too concerned about the noise - but it is new and kinda' irritating.

i have a very simialar sound around the same rpm range but it sounds like something is creaking from my engine bay or around there

from pro5turbo's description it sounds to me like a similiar sound that i had in my 99 jetta. same exact thing would happen to me. it turned out that it was my catalyltic converter. the metal bits had broken of in there and would rattle under light accelaration and when slowing down. had to replace it and cats are not cheap. looking back on it i should have just bought a catless mid pipe. would have been cheaper and wouldnt have thrown an CEL's

Hey everyone, here's the scoop.

While in motion, in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear - usually around 3k rpm, I have been hearing an unexplainable rattle/grinding.

Pro5turbo

for this reason i cant be detonation ...it could be Maybe be a cat problem,or else its a tranny problem ,or the sifter hitting something

ok, so this is what I have so far;

Exhaust J-Pipe Heat Shield: I would assume this would make a hollow tapping or pinging, which doesn't add up with the noise that i'm hearing. But i'll check it anyways.

Exhaust Catalyltic Converter Fragments: This might explain it, because it's only at certain RPM's, and it does make a grinding/rattling noise which is only really hearable when the windows are down. And when I speed up, the noise is suppressed.

Transmission/Flywheel/Clutch Plate: As much as I would like to think that it's not my transmission, my wrecklessness over the years could have toasted a gear or two.

Transmission throw-rod ping: Unlikely, unless it's a factory defect. I don't have a short shifter or anything like that....but it wouldn't surprise me.

These are some great ideas everyone, i think with what we have, i might be able to narrow down the solution. I will check them ALL out and let you know what I find. Most of my hunting will be done this Saturday, so I may be posting about it on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks, and "Keep'em Comin!"

Pro5turbo

Exhaust J-Pipe Heat Shield: I would assume this would make a hollow tapping or pinging, which doesn't add up with the noise that i'm hearing. But i'll check it anyways.

Pro5turbo

Now that I think of it, a few years ago I did have a problem with this. Everytime I revved up to ~3500 RPM it would rattle. It sounded more like a spun bearing than anything, more of a high-pitched metallic clanging or tapping. Turned out to be the heat shield.

Exhaust J-Pipe Heat Shield: I would assume this would make a hollow tapping or pinging, which doesn't add up with the noise that i'm hearing. But i'll check it anyways

Pro5turbo

not the j pipe heat heat its the heat shield right under the shifter...if you jack up your car you will understand what im talking about

well if it were something as simple as it rattling every time I rev up the engine, I could see this, but my noise is only while the car is in motion. I have yet to notice it sitting still.

you have a catless exhaust i see have modified. if you have cats hit the with a rubber mallet if u hear a rattle you need a new cat. thats if you have a cat and also checke ur exhaust system for anything loose and the weld joints for the hangers

edit: i would really recommend checking blinker fluid

Last edited:
MIne is fixed~! It was a heat shield that fell off and only the clamp remained to spin around randomly...

Yeah me! [fist pump]

took evilman's advice and banged on the cat that's located under the car with a rubber mallet and Voila!! the rattle was reproduced(not exactly the same noise but close enough.) Now off to find a new catalytic...

Quick question: Is there a difference between the cat for a manual tranny and one for an automatic?

took evilman's advice and banged on the cat that's located under the car with a rubber mallet and Voila!! the rattle was reproduced(not exactly the same noise but close enough.) Now off to find a new catalytic...

Quick question: Is there a difference between the cat for a manual tranny and one for an automatic?

I think mine might be the cat also. There was some gravel wedged in the heat shield that I blew out but they all seemed tight. How much do new cats go for anyway?

I'm also interested in knowing if there is a difference in the manual/auto P5 cats.

Here's another example - when the car's warmed up, this is only when it happens. When I accellerate slowly, it starts to grind/rattle, but when I "get on it", the noise goes away, and when i slow down (mind you, my foot is still applying pressure to the gas pedal), the noise will return.

It's not loud, but significant enough to drive you NUTS!

That is exactly what happen to my P5 between 2000 to 2500 RPM, except that I have a slush-box instead of a manual so I don't think it is the matter of the transmission.
It drives me nuts!
Mine sounded like some ringing bells under the hood.

Anyone have a cure for this so far?!(freak)

well if it were something as simple as it rattling every time I rev up the engine, I could see this, but my noise is only while the car is in motion. I have yet to notice it sitting still.

Same.

Only have the noise when accelerating.
The noise gets especially louder when I am climbing uphill.

Back