Under powered Engine?

cburrell

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, 2016 Mazda 6 Sport
A have read a lot people complain about the 2.3 motors in these vans. I have found that in automatic mode it can indeed be sluggish sometimes when it is weighed down with a heavy load. In sports mode though it is more than adequate. I pretty much exclusively drive my 2010 5 in manual sports mode. Learning when to shift between gears and where the most torque is in between the power band takes sometime to get use to, but when you do , the difference is remarkable. I feel the computer doesn't do anything to maximize the full potential that the engine does have, it is always seeking to hit the highest gear possible to maximize fuel efficiency, regardless of what the driver wants to do. I recently took my 5 to the blueridge mountains and going over several mountains with 2 adults, 2 kids, and our luggage, using the soprts mode, the 5 handled the moutains with no problem, nor did it feel sluggish ( granted my rpms where around 3000 to 3500 going up some of those mountains). Even with my rpms hovering around 3000 to 3500 for those ascends up, I still averaged 25 mpg's. I think the problem lies more with the way the computer controls the auto tranny, than with the engine( not saying that 15hp or 20hp more would be nice). I have switch from auto to sports mode and the computer had the it in 5th gear at 40mphs. There is no torque whatsoever from that engine in 5th gear at 40mphs. 5th gear should be hit at 50mphs or 60mphs.

Well I can state from personal experience that my manual trans Mz5 feels way more peppier and powerful then my old auto Mz5. I think the biggest power leaches on the MZR23 is the auto trans and the A/C.

this:
...I think the biggest power leaches on the MZR23 is the auto trans and the A/C.

even though our mazda5 has the auto-tragic transmission, i still find it to be a metric TONNE of fun to drive :D

I totally agree that the auto tranny and the ac are the big problems. Consider the fact that the first generation Mazda 3's curb weight ranged from 2600lbs to 2900lbs and came with the base 2.0 MZR, the 2.3 was the upgraded motor. The 2.0 handled the 3's curb weight just fine, and the more powerful 2.3 gave the first generation 3 some really nice pickup. The first generation Mazda 5 curbs weight was around 3200lbs to 3500lbs. That is only a difference of 600lbs between a Mazda 3 GT and a Mazda 5 GT. Considering that the 2.0 got the job done in the 3 and that the 2.3 gave the 3 a lot more get up and go, I would say that the same is true for the 5. The extra 600lbs of weight makes the 2.3 adequate for the 5, but just like the 2.0 in the 3, it has no extra hp on reserve. I don't believe it is under powered, but it isn't overpowered either. The V6 Duratec 3.0 that are offered in the Mazda 6's would have been nice in the 5 for extra hp, but it is clear that because of the way that Mazda tunes their transmissions and engines for that Zoom-Zoom feel, that they wouldn't put the 3.0 in a mini-mini-van that would get the same highway E.P.A rating that a larger Odyssey or Sienna would get. People already knock on the MZR motors enough about fuel economy. I think the fuel economy is just a result of Mazda's zoom-zoom philosophy, because Ford is still using and has no plans of discontinuing turbo-charged MZR motors for their line of Eco-Boost fuel efficient cars. Ford has been using Mazda's MZR platform for several years in their cars and has had better E.P.A. ratings for their cars than Mazda. Yet, most enthusiast would drive Mazda cars over most Ford cars, hands down. The thing is when talking about the 5, most people who buy family haulers, just drive in a straight line and wouldn't know what great driving dynamics are and really don't care about suspensions and handling. So, Mazda won't offer an upgraded engine which would yield lower E.P.A ratings because then they would sell even less 5 than they already do, because people would not even give the 5 a chance with it smaller size and lower E.P.A. ratings. They would be fine driving those horrible space ship looking, ho hum driving appliances called Odyssey and Sienna.

Gotta agree with cburrell... or as Scotty would say, "You canno' change the laws o' physics". It's all about weight, power, and driving dynamics. Mazda engineers these things so tight that there's no room for that "little bit extra". One could argue that they engineer these things a little too tight. I'm thinking this is one reason why they've gone to the 2.5L for 2012. If anything that should make up the difference from the energy-sapping automatic vs. the manual that the rest of the world typically uses. Is the Mazda 5 underpowered? I don't think so. But as cburrell also states, neither is it over-powered. In other words, when you over-load it, it's going to be sluggish.

When I first got this car I was planning to put on a trailer hitch to tow my single personal water craft. After a few year and a few long drives, however, it became clear that this was an extra load that it wouldn't be happy pulling, and that perhaps it wasn't a good idea. So I bought a 10 year old Ford Explorer to do the occasional heavy lifting, and leave the zoom-zoom to my Mazda. Bottom line... it is what it is... and if it wasn't what it is, I don't think we'd like them so much.

We have a pair of his-n-hers 2006 Mazda 5's, both MT. I think the engine has plenty of power. My only complaint is that it needs a sixth speed with a lower drive ratio, so that highway gas mileage would be a lot better. As it stands, the engine whirs at 3K RPM at 65mph, far too high.

We have a pair of his-n-hers 2006 Mazda 5's, both MT. I think the engine has plenty of power. My only complaint is that it needs a sixth speed with a lower drive ratio, so that highway gas mileage would be a lot better. As it stands, the engine whirs at 3K RPM at 65mph, far too high.

I totally agree. It needs a 6th gear ! I would love one on my 08

When I first got this car I was planning to put on a trailer hitch to tow my single personal water craft. After a few year and a few long drives, however, it became clear that this was an extra load that it wouldn't be happy pulling, and that perhaps it wasn't a good idea. So I bought a 10 year old Ford Explorer to do the occasional heavy lifting, and leave the zoom-zoom to my Mazda..

Agree with everything you've said, except the note about towing. Unless your personal watercraft weighs more than 1000 pounds, the 5 will easily handle it. I load our 5 up to the gills with 2 adults (320 lbs), 2 18 month old kids (70 lbs), their car seats, double stroller, tons'o'luggage (260 lbs) in the car, then tow a small 4' x 4' trailer packed full of camping gear + 2 bikes on top (350 lbs) + the weight of the trailer (200 lbs) = 1200 lbs of gear inside and towed. I take all of this from Vancouver through the mountains to the Okanagan and back. I do this a few times a year with no issues. Sure you can't blast up the hills like it has nothing inside it, but it does just fine.

I also routinely run dump runs, soil and/or mulch runs with that little trailer and it works just fine. In fact, in the UK, the exact same 2.3 litre gas engined Mazda 5 is rated to tow 1322 lbs.

I might add that in the US, the 5's are not rated to tow anything at all. That said I did install a tow-hitch, required drilling out the mount holes...

Mazda purposely tunes the transmission for shorter throw in between gears, which makes for a quicker build up of maximum torque from gear to gear, so that from first to second and second to third and so on, you reach redline very quickly. It is all about the zoom-zoom philosophy, shorter throws from the transmission provide the driver with more torque at a quicker pace, which translates to feeling very zippy, and handling corners with more power and torque( especially in lower gears), and this is the trade off. Of course Mazda could tune their transmission for longer throws which would help their engines acheive better gas mileage. Mazda could easily have the 5th gear run at 2000rpm at 65mph or 70mph, instead of at 55mph., but that would go against everything that Mazda is. If you want to drive a vehicle that has the versatility of a mini-van with great gas mileage, they make those, i.e. : The Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey, but most of us here drive the 5 because it has the versatility of a mini-van, but drives like a car. My 5 has better driving dynamics, than a lot of cars on the market. I won't say that it handles as well as my 2012 Mazda 3, but it isn't far behind it. Every time I drive the 3 and then the 5, I am always more amazed at how well the 5 drives for it's size. I guess I expect the 3 to handle good. It is truly impressive to me how well the 5 drives. My 5 is what persuaded me to buy the 3. My decision was mainly based on how fun the 5 was to drive. To me, that is saying a lot seeing that the 5 is classified as a mini-van. No other mini-van on the market as well as any other crossover can offer the driving dynamics that the 5 offers. That is why I love my 5 and Mazda, they put performance first. I don't want them to change, let companies like hyundai, honda, and toyota focus solely on fuel economy at the cost of performance. For their appliance driving vehicles speaks for themselves when it comes to driving dynamics. Zoom-Zoom is what I love about Mazda, and at the end of the day do I want to get 3mi to 5 mi mph or do i want to drive something that makes me excited to get in it day in and day out. I will pay the few extra dollars it cost in gas to have that than to drive a uninspiring toaster that the competitors offer. Besides, with SKY-Activ you can have the best of both worlds, but who know when the 5 will get it.

I might add that in the US, the 5's are not rated to tow anything at all. That said I did install a tow-hitch, required drilling out the mount holes...

It's not in Canada either... still haven't figured out why that is. Think it may just be the nature of what gets towed in the UK vs. NA and the general knowledge levels as well. Basically Mazda NA doesn't want to deal with a whole bunch of idiots who have killed their engines/transmissions trying to tow their 5000 lbs boats! :)

Anyway... you had to drill holes to install your hitch?? Why didn't you just buy the U-haul, Hidden Hitch, Curt or Draw Tite hitches made specifically for the 5? They all just bolt onto/into existing holes, very quick and easy to install. This is a great site to find hitches, ball mounts etc... based on your vehicle - http://www.etrailer.com

That's pretty standard for a four-banger is it not? My last 3 four-bangers all hung around 3000rpm at 65.

@cburrell All fine and true, but the 5 could use a sixth speed in the gearbox without changing the zoom-zoom close-ratio mantra. Which they delivered eventually in 2011...

Last edited:
I didn't know front drives had axle ratios, you never hear them talked about like the Rear wheel drive cars. Maybe that is because you cannot swap them out.
The axle ratio or final drive ratio is the ratio of the number of turns of the engine to the number of turns of the driven wheels in the highest gear. You can lower the axle ratio by buying larger diameter tires. On the mazda 5 using 215/55/17 instead of the OEM 205/55/17 lowers the drive ratio by 5% since the tire circumference is 5% larger. (upto 5% variation is DOT kosher.) I tried these on both our 5's and got about 10% higher gas mileage overall, with no change in driveability. But the tires are wider too, hence suffer excessive wear on the inside front so switched back to the OEM size on the latest batch.

In the 2006 models, the Mazda 5 with 2.3L engines have an axle ratio of 4.39 while the Mazda 3 with 2.3L engines have an axle ratio of 4.11. Consequently, the Mazda3 have better gas mileage, 32MPG hwy vs 27 on the Mazda 5. For the same engine, a lower axle ratio results in a higher throttle opening, so the engine operates under higher cylinder pressure and higher efficiency.

The high gear ratio is cause the Mazda 5 sold in North America has the same gearbox as 5's sold elsewhere, despite the larger engine. Likewise, the plastic cowling under the engine has the oil filter hole in the wrong place!

Last edited:
No doubt they could use a 6th gear, which Mazda has addressed with the auto tranny in the Mazda 3. Yet they choose to keep the same 5 speed auto tranny for the new 2012 Mazda 5, but at least they do now offer the manual with a 6th gear. Corolla's and Civics are four bangers and don't run at 3000 rpm's at 65 mph's, that is probably why they feel so underpowered, sluggish, and uninspiring, but until sky-activ, they got better gas than the 3.

No doubt they could use a 6th gear, which Mazda has addressed with the auto tranny in the Mazda 3. Yet they choose to keep the same 5 speed auto tranny for the new 2012 Mazda 5, but at least they do now offer the manual with a 6th gear. Corolla's and Civics are four bangers and don't run at 3000 rpm's at 65 mph's, that is probably why they feel so underpowered, sluggish, and uninspiring, but until sky-activ, they got better gas than the 3.

I bought two mazda 5's so my vote is clear :)

El Toro, so what you are saying is that Mazda used a global platform for the 5 in the U.S. and other countries, and just modified what engines they put in them, depending on what country they where selling them in?

El Toro, so what you are saying is that Mazda used a global platform for the 5 in the U.S. and other countries, and just modified what engines they put in them, depending on what country they where selling them in?

Yep..In Europe they run with 1.6D, 1.8 and 2.0 engines. And 7 seats rather than six.

Back