TWM Full Replacement shifter review

Grumpyjap

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
Just a small background on what I've been using first, I started off with the COBB Shortshifter. AMAZINGLY manufactured product with a couple of options, height and throw. I then switched out to the TWM short shifter again very nice craftsmanship, but no options to adjust height or throw, BUT if you bought a TWM shift knob you could adjust the height with that.
Now onto the TWM Full Replacement Shifter, As soon as I took it out of the box I know this thing was the real deal. Craftsmanship on the manufacturing was amazing. you can tell they took their time and design this thing right.
IMG_7738-1.jpg

IMG_7740-1.jpg

Base is a solid piece of 1/4" steel so you can assured that there will be no flexing of the base during aggressive shifting. The entire shifter is mainly composed of steel and aluminum parts so less chance of it flexing in a whole too, plus unless you do something horribly wrong this thing is practically bullet proof. It comes fullt assembled with aluminum base bushings specifically designed for this unit. Comparing it to the COBB sort shifter in the OEM base, the TWM is a tad shorter, even at COBB's lower setting, this is because of the OEM base being thicker. You can also see in the side by side picture, that TWM changed the points where the shifter cables connect to the shifter. On the base the point it raised and on the actual shifter the point is raise and brought back a few degrees compared to the COBB. This significantly reduces the throw taking up any kind of slack on the cables.
IMG_7751.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

The only weak point of the COBB shifter is the OEM base, which is really no fault of COBB. As you can see in the pictures below the OEM base is just well...cheap...TWM saw this and saw it as a problem so they went to work to create something that takes out all the flaws of the entire shifter system. Not only does the base flex when shifting, even with solid base bushings, but the mount points for the cables flex too.
IMG_7747.jpg

Installation of the TWM Full Replacement shifter was a breeze. MUCH easier than any other shortshifter, because everything is put together for you. I did have a tiny bit of trouble getting the shifter cables into the mounting points, but nothing too bad, maybe an extra 30 seconds for each. It's a VERY tight fit, but that's a good thing it shows you the tight tolerances that TWM has on thier product. Overall the install took me about 20 minutes, taking the oem out and putting the Full replacement in and adjusting the cable so not bad at all.
IMG_7755-1.jpg

My first impression, my jaw literally dropped. Completely mechanical feel, no weird noises, just what you would expect shifting to sound like. It was definitely quieter than the shifters with the OEM base. Throw was SHORT. I almost couldn't tell if I was in 1st or 3rd. I'm guessing that the other 2 short shifters I had broke it in beforehand, but it took little effort to get it in gear. Shifting was a dream. When I took the first drive, I normally will go out for a cruise around the block to see if everything is working right, but I was literally out for an hour and a half just driving around, normal shifting and mostly agressive shifting, straight line and in corners. Flat foot and heel toe was so much fun. I just wanted to keep shifting lol
**Final install pictures will be coming soon, including shots of how much of a height adjustment you can do with the twm shift knobs.**
After the initial install I went for a track day about 2 weeks later. It was so much easier to shift and the accuracy of the shifter is just so nice during heel/toe shifting from 6th gear all the way down to 2nd. If you're in the market for a short shifter, take a few extra weeks and save up for this one. This shifter is the pinical of shifters. I have been riding around with this for about 2 months now and I have not 1 complaint about it.

MazdaSpeed 3 Short Throw Shifter

Hi - I have a short shifter in my 2009 MS3 (I honestly can't remember if it was a street unit or cobb), anyway, it works pretty well, but when the motor is cold, I have trouble getting into 2nd gear, sometimes I can't get it in 2nd gear as I go around a turn(again, when the engine is cold). When the motor is warm I have no trouble shifting into 2nd, or any other gear for that matter. I do have the TWM Abrams 1 shift knob, and I love the weight and feel of it. I was thinking switching to the TWM full replacement linkage, but was concerned that I would still have problems getting into 2nd when the motor is cold.(sometimes I have to coast to the side of the road and try again - I never force it into any gear - I use the "three finger shift" method so I don't grind the gears. Do you have any difficulty shifting when your motor is cold? Thanks for the info!

What fluid are you using? Maybe think about switching to redline or ford motorcraft fluid. I have stock shifter with bushings and motorcraft fluid and I've never had problems.

Hey John - Thanks for the info - I guess its worth a try - right now Im using the stock Mazda fluid. (I only have 21,700 miles on my 2009 Speed 3.) The new shift linkage is much better than stock, very well defined gates that work great!

Hi - I have a short shifter in my 2009 MS3 (I honestly can't remember if it was a street unit or cobb), anyway, it works pretty well, but when the motor is cold, I have trouble getting into 2nd gear, sometimes I can't get it in 2nd gear as I go around a turn(again, when the engine is cold). When the motor is warm I have no trouble shifting into 2nd, or any other gear for that matter. I do have the TWM Abrams 1 shift knob, and I love the weight and feel of it. I was thinking switching to the TWM full replacement linkage, but was concerned that I would still have problems getting into 2nd when the motor is cold.(sometimes I have to coast to the side of the road and try again - I never force it into any gear - I use the "three finger shift" method so I don't grind the gears. Do you have any difficulty shifting when your motor is cold? Thanks for the info!

I don;t have any problems with mine whent he engine is cold. Did you adjust the cable when you installed it?

Sorry, IDK - a shop installed it for me - I have physical issues that prevent me from screwing up my car!

My stock shifter (and fluid) also provide a nasty "grind" or "reluctance" to go into 2nd gear when cold. I've read a few stories about that with our cars. Every other gear is fine, just second. Weird!!

Thanks for confirming my 2nd gear problem when the transmission is cold skallen - I just ordered the TWM full replacement shifter, and will also switch to Redline fluid. TWM is backordered, so I will not receive it until mid-November - I can't wait!!

12/23/12 update - Hey Grumpyjap - I Just had my TWM full replacement shift linkage installed, and also installed the adjustable shifter weight, the transmission adaptor, and the upgraded shift boot to go along with the Abrams 1 Pearl Black shift knob - I too had the Cobb short shifter unit, and I can attest to the high quality and fully re-engineered shift linkage by TWM. The car should have come from the factory with this unit! Shifting is precise, short, direct, positive, and bulletproof! Three upgrades should come standard from the factory - 1) The TWM full replacement shift linkage 2) Sure rear motor mount 3) Autotech high pressure fuel pump. After installing those parts, then go for the motor and suspension upgrades.

Back