Twiggy Sticks Install, tuning and results thread

remember the cams are designed for top end so you'll lose low end power.

triple check your timing. what cam gears are you using? i know they can cause problems with the cam sensor

try raising you idle a little.

I set mine halfway between NA and FI for a while to calm it down for a while (Closed up the overlap 2 or 3 degrees each cam iirc). The ignition timing had to be advanced a fair bit to get most of the bottom end back, but I never had sudden power surges like yours, just mildly annoying idling/vibration/air con related issues. Electrics, maybe?

I had my Kasmann adj gears adv 5-6 deg on intake and ret 5-6 deg on exhaust before the idle settled down. We used the Idle adjust screw and opened it up a fair bit as well. Once it warms up, the idle would settle down below 900-950 rpms or so. We also adjusted the CPS to move it a little closer (deeper) towards the exh gear pickups and that stopped the signal stutter. My biggest issue was the lack of vacuum at stops causing the misfire codes (we think).

I agree that the cam timing should be double-checked as well. Make sure it is properly setup before diddling with the gear adjustments.

Gah, every time I feel like pulling the trigger and getting the Integral Cams I see the same issues with idling, timing, and misfiring.

I run an automatic, (tiptronic) with no engine management. I'm not sure now if I should go for the Stage 1 Integrals anymore due to the headache it may cause the car....

Gah, every time I feel like pulling the trigger and getting the Integral Cams I see the same issues with idling, timing, and misfiring.

I run an automatic, (tiptronic) with no engine management. I'm not sure now if I should go for the Stage 1 Integrals anymore due to the headache it may cause the car....

the integrals are different than the twiggy's. Inegral cams were designed to be used with the stoc cam gears and timing on a stock engine.

yeah I think what is hapenig is that you need a good set of adjustable gears. To properly run the camseven if you do not have an engine management system.

I'd like to confirm that when people talk about adjusting the cams by X degrees, they are talking in camshaft degrees and not crankshaft degrees. Can anyone please confirm or deny that?

that's true you are changing weather the cam is open longer or closing faster or vis versa.crank is only timing adjusted with light.

its in relation to the crank angle. say a cam wit a duration of 264 will keep the valves open for 264 degrees of crank rotation.

remember cams spin at half the speed of the engine.

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys. They were half-way closed last night with respects to post #160, and the car just came alive! I can only imagine how crazy they will be when I get my AFRs leaned out up top because the car is a beast now! Will be trying it out tomorrow at AutoX but DAMN!

a ton of people have used the jdm cams...i had them in my p5 (bought them from srmotorsports.com)...nice increase in power!

Back