Turn my rotors??

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
Ok....I have just received the rear pad replacements from tirerack (Satisfied Pro brand). My front pads should get here by the end of the week. How important is it for me to get my rotors turned?

Personally I don't feel like taking them off and having to run down to a shop and get it done. But I'm trying to take special care of this car.......I want it to last.

Thats what I'm telling myself. I'm not sure if the rotors are warped. It brakes fine.....no surging. A couple of weeks ago I hit the brakes and locked up the wheels (55 to zero). Since then, it seems to feel like I'm hitting small speed bumps at low speeds (under 10 mph). I don't think its warped rotors. I think its because I might have worn a flat area on my tires from stopping so fast. We will see in a few days when I replace the tires.

how many miles on the rotors, when replacing break pads might as well get them turned, its cheap and easy since you are already replacing the pads

just get new rotors. brembo oem replacements. you rotors WILL warp on you. so just replace them now.

when you put the new pads on, they will grip tighter then with the old ones. if you rotors are a little warped, they will be more noticable with the new pads and probably will get worse quickly. Just get some new rotors and change then when you due your pads. Save you time........You can get rotors ranging from $18.99 and up at local autopart stores.

Just spend the money and turn the rotors. Pep Boys (as well as most other places of the like) perform the work for $7 per rotor. Doing so will allow the pads and rotors do properly "mate" (for lack of a better term). If you desire, I can go into detail, but just spend the money. Results yeild increased life expectancy of the pads.

If the rotors are warped, replace them. Skip the nonsense.

Last edited:
I'm sure the bumping you've felt is flat spots on the tires.

I tried to have my rotors turned (a bit warped at 40K) and was told by O'reilley's that they could NOT turn the stock rotors, as they are "composite". the guy behind the counter claims more and more small cars use "composite" rotors, esp. Chevy. So I bought a whole new set of replacements (like $20 each, and yes they'll turn them) but I've been wonding what's up with the stock rotors!!??(boom01)

Getting stock discs from mazdaformance (Mazdaspeed of Houston) costs the same as getting rotors turned... so if you ever have warped rotors, just get new ones!

told by O'reilley's that they could NOT turn the stock rotors, as they are "composite". the guy behind the counter claims more and more small cars use "composite" rotors, esp. Chevy
This is weird b/c when I took the car into Mazda to get the trans. fluid changed they checked the brakes and gave me a price on changing the pads and turning the rotors. Are they lying about needing the rotors to be turned?

NSNMotorsports said:
Getting stock discs from mazdaformance (Mazdaspeed of Houston) costs the same as getting rotors turned... so if you ever have warped rotors, just get new ones!
Is this true? I have only briefly looked at rotors (brembo) and have only seen them run about $50 a piece. I wouldn't mind to replace mine with oem rotors but I don't really know where to get them. I know that I'm not buying rotors from autozone or advanced auto.

davco said:
This is weird b/c when I took the car into Mazda to get the trans. fluid changed they checked the brakes and gave me a price on changing the pads and turning the rotors. Are they lying about needing the rotors to be turned?
they can definitely be turned... and every dealer tries to make you turn the rotors when you get brake pads... I think the guy telling the other dude that they are composite spends a little too much time at 420 :) For some reaons as well, turning rotors "supposedly" makes them tend to warp quicker as well... so it's typically not real desireable.

Is this true? I have only briefly looked at rotors (brembo) and have only seen them run about $50 a piece. I wouldn't mind to replace mine with oem rotors but I don't really know where to get them. I know that I'm not buying rotors from autozone or advanced auto.
Well most of the places around here charge about 40 bucks a corner for turning... sooo... paying 50 a piece for brembo blanks is obviously not a lot more... but I believe I got my OEM blanks from Mazdaformance for 45 each.

Later.

Steve

Just turn them once

Turning them does thin them out a little. It is my general practice to have them resurfaced once, then replace them the next time.

TurfBurn said:
they can definitely be turned... and every dealer tries to make you turn the rotors when you get brake pads... I think the guy telling the other dude that they are composite spends a little too much time at 420 :) For some reaons as well, turning rotors "supposedly" makes them tend to warp quicker as well... so it's typically not real desireable.

Well most of the places around here charge about 40 bucks a corner for turning... sooo... paying 50 a piece for brembo blanks is obviously not a lot more... but I believe I got my OEM blanks from Mazdaformance for 45 each.

Later.

Steve
Not sue of the 420, but this was a guy who has been very good in the past. $40/corner for turning seems very high, that must be if you take the car somewhere and let the mechanic have all the fun. Any shop around here will do it for $5-8 per rotor if you bring them in. The $30+ price difference is what you're paying to have the car jacked up and the wheel taken off.

Now more
(blah)

There is often a minimum thickenss the manufacturer specifies for the rotors. Rotors warp if they are abused, undersized, or just plain poor quality. I have had a new set of rotors warp big-time by 10k and then go 30k after turning, or in this case we went 40k on the original rotors before they warped a little. There doesn't seem to be much of a rule.

Keep in mind that torquing your lugs is also VERY imporant in preventing warping/reducing the likelihood... if they aren't evenly torqued the rotors will warp. The minimum thickness is also very important as you said, as well as proper cool downs and the like if you auto-x or do mountain driving. There is a lot of car that goes into keeping rotors live. I've done plenty of auto-x and some high speed stuff on my rotors and had no problems ever, which I'd like to think is due to taking good care of things.

The turning cost was for the removal etc... which definitely would add cost overall...

I have a set of extra front blanks that I could sell for 25 bucks if someone wants them.. but they do need to be turned.

Later!

Steve

Well, I know that I can get them turned for around 5-10 bucks. I'm changing the brakes myself (no problem) but was just wondering about the headache of taking off the rotors and running them down the street to a mechanic.

The car has 47k on it. We bought it at 27k. The previous owner was a rental company (We bought it from a dealership that bought it at an auction). I think the rental company would have possibly had them turned?!? Well, maybe not seeing as this might be the first brake change of my car's life.

We drive it like a normal car. It is actually my wife's car. I am leaning towards not turning the rotors and replacing them at the next brake change. Opinions?

Removing the brakes isn't that bad or hard... depends on what you want to do as far as longevity. If you plan to keep the car, doing a new set and taking care of them may be the way to go. If you think you'll sell it in a year or two I'd just turn em and call it good.

If they aren't too badly warped you can just leave them.. it's not a MAJOR deal, but not the best situation either.

Later!

Steve

Back