Turbo: nobody home?

The Macan S, at least on Fuelly, averages 17 MPG. That is horrible and I cannot justify that as a daily driver.

What happened to the golf R?

If I was going to trade in my cx-5 today, that would be top of my list. I love my cx-5 but if I could go back in time I would consider the VW way more seriously. Maybe in a couple years I'll look at a trade in for a CPO golf R.

Macan S would be out for me as it's just too much $$, but it's a damn great car.

Golf R - I cannot find one in the entire US listed with the DSG and my wife cannot drive a manual. With there not being enough in stock it would be hard to negotiate a good deal. At near $40K it comes very close to the cost of a used Macan S. I would still consider the Golf R if I could get the DSG because I like the idea of getting it brand new.

The cool thing that is appealing to me is the GTI / Golf R looks very econo car. I love it in one video review the guy said, "This is a car you can buy and your wife thinks you just bought a cheap gas sipping VW Rabbit. She doesn't have to know that with a few mods it can hang with some super cars."

I have been seeing used Macan S on occasion with about 10 to 20K mileage anywhere from $40K at rare moments to quite a few near $45K.

The Golf R will get decent mpg. I almost went with it vs GTI.... but didnt like some of the trade offs. Wish they just offered a AWD GTI!

Edit: felt agree on the understated looks 100%!

Wish they just offered a AWD GTI!

They do. It's called a Golf R.

The wife's car is a 2016 Golf R DSG. The stealth aspect certainly is fun; nothing like walking away from some d-bag tailgating you in an F-150 on the highway. Like most turbo cars, the fuel economy isn't the greatest if you give it the whip.

22knye.jpg

They do. It's called a Golf R.

The wife's car is a 2016 Golf R DSG. The stealth aspect certainly is fun; nothing like walking away from some d-bag tailgating you in an F-150 on the highway. Like most turbo cars, the fuel economy isn't the greatest if you give it the whip.

22knye.jpg

In the US no sunroof and for some reason they lock out the adjustment on the center arm rest. So if it were otherwise like for like yes.

In the US no sunroof and for some reason they lock out the adjustment on the center arm rest. So if it were otherwise like for like yes.

The armrest is due to the cost of making a low-volume car compliant with US/Canada regulations. Same reason we didn't get the LED taillights. There's a DIY fix to the armrest if one is so inclined. BTW, it's not that they removed the "adjustable" part of it; you simply can't open it. Lawyers...

Sunroof, meh. If my RS3 had a sunroof delete option it would of been the first thing I ticked off. But yes, I see your point.

The armrest is due to the cost of making a low-volume car compliant with US/Canada regulations. Same reason we didn't get the LED taillights. There's a DIY fix to the armrest if one is so inclined. BTW, it's not that they removed the "adjustable" part of it; you simply can't open it. Lawyers...

Sunroof, meh. If my RS3 had a sunroof delete option it would of been the first thing I ticked off. But yes, I see your point.

I like Pano, but find myself ignoring the regular sunroof in my GT-R. I might play with it on longer trips maybe, dunno.

I like Pano, but find myself ignoring the regular sunroof in my GT-R. I might play with it on longer trips maybe, dunno.

The glass in the VW is nicer than the Mazda. Blocks heat and glare so well that I pretty much never close the shade.

The glass in the VW is nicer than the Mazda. Blocks heat and glare so well that I pretty much never close the shade.

If I wanted, I'd just ceramic tint mine and I'd put it up against yours for heat any day of the week, glare? I find tint glares, so not so much.

If I wanted, I'd just ceramic tint mine and I'd put it up against yours for heat any day of the week, glare? I find tint glares, so not so much.

I need to do this on our Mazda. Im sure it would do the trick. The heat is what bothers me most but I do notice more glare as well with the Mazda.

This forums obsession with Pano roofs. Oy. From the front seat it really makes no difference. This from a buddy that bought a used Audi with one. I was in the back and all "wow that's kinda nice"....and that's when he told me the above.

This forums obsession with Pano roofs. Oy. From the front seat it really makes no difference. This from a buddy that bought a used Audi with one. I was in the back and all "wow that's kinda nice"....and that's when he told me the above.

We still have rear-heated seats and I'm glad.

And an even smaller sunroof is better? Im not looking up while driving. It helps with ambiance and what not.

I think it's more about the looks of the vehicle, than the function. It also keeps the bird crap from damaging your roof.

I would gladly do a sunroof delete if I could. All they do is create sun glare on interior surfaces and make the car slightly louder inside (more glass surface to reflect sound waves). I opened and closed mine once to make sure it was properly closed/sealed and it's likely the only time it will ever be opened the entire time I own the vehicle.

And an even smaller sunroof is better? Im not looking up while driving. It helps with ambiance and what not.
It's no different is my point. You can't see behind your head. "Ambiance"? I'm driving, not having dinner. [emoji39] This from a sunroof lover, btw. Mine is open most of the summer.

Back