Turbo a miata or buy a MSM

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
It's all a matter of personal preference. You have to weigh the pros and cons. Everyone is giving great advice here. :)

Here's my advice: find someone that has an M1 that is similar to your ideal setup (turbo, susp., brakes, ect.) Ask them if you can test drive it. Then test drive the MS MX-5 (when they are available). Then make your decision based on how each car makes you feel.

Reason for my theory: Some people say the M1 (once modded) feels the tightest in the turns and quicker when turbo'ed.
Then other say that the M2 feels more set and stable like a true sports car and that the suspension changes/added weight (as compared to the M1) are well founded and worth it.

it all depends on your preference. It's a big step to buy a new car or dedicate your current one to modification. Just see how you feel in each one so you will not regret having made a decision without experiencing each first. :)

Good luck in your quest for mo' powa! :p
mm ! good idea ! hopefully the MS MX-5 will be released soon and by that time i should be able to have found someone that would elt me test drive their turbo'd miata. thanks diane !

jflo said:
i think i have the miata w/ the BP. it's a '91 BRG w/ leather interior, and the VIN was 236XXX or something higher so i'm guessing it's BP. as of its current state, the clutch needs replacing, and the rotors and pads are really bad. the pedal feel is really vague almost...i think it's cause the pads are worn down. the suspension shouldn't cost too much...proabably around $600-700 minus installation (which can be done by MOCC members w/ their infinite amount of tools and skills). might go w/ a combo from FM for wheel/tire package 'cause those Kosei K1s are nice and they come with sticky tires as well. i'm probably also going to make a visit to the junkyard
If you've got a 1991, it's the B6P. The BP is the 1.8 that was introduced in 1994.

It's fairly obvious which I'd choose :) We'll install our own products as well - Brainstorm would probably try to sell you an AVO.

Keith
Flyin' Miata

mmm thanks for clearing that up Keith. still deciding at this point tho...mar 20 i'm supposed to go to Rev it up w/ my dad in san diego ('cause we missed the one in orange county), and i'm gonna be the first in line for the MSM to see what it's like. one big advantage the MSM has over the '91 is the 6-speed, which i'm dying to have.

Last edited:
Did I miss something here, what's wrong with the AVO turbo kits?

Keith@FP said:
If you've got a 1991, it's the B6P. The BP is the 1.8 that was introduced in 1994.

It's fairly obvious which I'd choose :) We'll install our own products as well - Brainstorm would probably try to sell you an AVO.

Keith
Flyin' Miata

msm comes with alot more than what the regular miata has...plus it maybe the last miata, if you can get the msm, go for it

APEXistud said:
Did I miss something here, what's wrong with the AVO turbo kits?
they're from australia that's what ! haha j/k :p i don't think there's anything wrong, but if i have problems with it, i'm gonna have to special order stuff through BSP from AVO in Australia just to get it fixed.

BlueWolfCry said:
msm comes with alot more than what the regular miata has...plus it maybe the last miata, if you can get the msm, go for it
much more than a regular miata, but not much more than a modded one...except for all those cosmetic differences...which are quite sexy. i'm allured to both options

AVO turbo kits don't really come with any instructions or any support in the US. The downpipe is a little constricted, the intercooler pipes are formed silicone hose - but most importantly, the engine management software are definitely not up to the standards of what we supply. Brainstorm doesn't have a solid grasp on what's involved in designing and tuning a turbo kit - this is apparent if you read the marketing material on their website - and have quoted some questionable "facts" while trying to make a sale.

BlueWolfCry, the MSM will not be the last Miata. Not by any stretch of the imagination. It's the swan song of the NB model, yes. But there will definitely be an NC.

jflo, you might not be excited about the 6-speed after you've tried it. It's not as nice a box as the 5-speed, and the top gear is basically the same in both boxes so you simply end up with more tightly spaced gears. Not what you're looking for with a turbo car...

Keith

Keith@FP said:
AVO turbo kits don't really come with any instructions or any support in the US. The downpipe is a little constricted, the intercooler pipes are formed silicone hose - but most importantly, the engine management software are definitely not up to the standards of what we supply. Brainstorm doesn't have a solid grasp on what's involved in designing and tuning a turbo kit - this is apparent if you read the marketing material on their website - and have quoted some questionable "facts" while trying to make a sale.

BlueWolfCry, the MSM will not be the last Miata. Not by any stretch of the imagination. It's the swan song of the NB model, yes. But there will definitely be an NC.

jflo, you might not be excited about the 6-speed after you've tried it. It's not as nice a box as the 5-speed, and the top gear is basically the same in both boxes so you simply end up with more tightly spaced gears. Not what you're looking for with a turbo car...

Keith
i read somewhere it will be the last..um..it was in AutoWeek march 8

Keith@FP said:

Keith
I prefer my 6 speed for autocross over both 5 speed miatas I have had in the past just for the gearing. Some guys say it's better for it, some say it's a curse. (dunno)
I'd just like to drive a MSM myself to see what it's like. (scratch)

Aside from autocrossing, I am curious about your comment. How will my 6speed car behave differently than a 5 speed car once boosted? Other than running through the each gear a bit faster, what other aspects are affected?

(a side note that may or may not affect your answer, I am going with the Ubercharger)

With the turbo, you've got lots of torque. You can rip through a gear much faster than on a 5-speed and the amount of shifting will actually slow you down. A 1-second shift becomes much more obvious when it only takes a couple of seconds to get through a gear instead of 5 seconds :) The extra shifting is not a problem with a naturally aspirated car because you're getting more of an advantage from the gearing due to the lower torque available.

We've had a couple of customers swap in 5-speeds after putting on the turbo because the car just gets too manic. On the autox course, it would depend on the course itself. One of the Ubercharger prototypes is a dedicated autox car (Dan) and he's looking to put taller gearing on the car so he doesn't have to waste as much time shifting. He's sure got the torque to deal with it now.

Keith

ok, I'm a mazdaspeed guy, and looking hard at continueing this car as the autoX car, and the amount of shifting actually concerns me...

I dunno about how much I'm gonna get screwed on classing, but that 3.6 AUS diff is looking better and better...

Back