Turbo a miata or buy a MSM

jflo

:
03.5 msp
okae...i've been wondering for a while now what it would cost to turbo my '91 miata. the FMI turbo will be the place to start. ~$3500. what i want to know is how much would it cost to: upgrade brakes, suspension, and other various goodies that will need strengthening to counter the additional power from the turbo.

my dad thinks this will cost approximately ~$10000 and would be wiser to get a MSM. MSM would be nice, but that would mean bye bye to the '91 that i grew up in...whatever a miata is a miata !

Flyin Miata stage1 susp. kit ------$590
nice set of 16" wheels/tires-------$1,000
Flyin Miata brake upgrade kit------$600
Flyin Miata 2.5" exhaust------ ----$450
Flyin Miata turbo kit 1-------------$3500
Flyin Miata shock tower brace-----$200
Harddog sport rollbar--------------$290

total-----------------------------$6630

yes, i was bored.(hi)

having both would be priceless, actually it would be about $40K or so, but definately wouldn't have both. probably the MSP will be a trade in if my dad decides to get the MSM.

jared said:
Flyin Miata stage1 susp. kit ------$590
nice set of 16" wheels/tires-------$1,000
Flyin Miata brake upgrade kit------$600
Flyin Miata 2.5" exhaust------ ----$450
Flyin Miata turbo kit 1-------------$3500
Flyin Miata shock tower brace-----$200
Harddog sport rollbar--------------$290

total-----------------------------$6630

yes, i was bored.(hi)
thanks ! now...the estimated time of installing all these components is what to find out. if i took all these down to Brainstorm performance in LA, i wonder how much they would charge me for the labor.

You can pick up a new Greddy kit for $1200. Then get an intercooler kit from www.15psi.com for $300. You'll also need an MSD ignition retarder $130 with a Bipes for $200. With these items for a total of about $1800 + another few hundred for odds and ends (guages, upgraded bolts, heat shielding, MBC) you should be able to run 8psi for up to 170whp (dependent on state of tune). This would be equivalent to around 200hp at the crank versus the 170hp of the Mazdaspeed Miata.

The suspension, brakes, drivetrain, fuel system, etc. are all capable up to 200hp at the crank. Beyond that, and you're talking about an upgraded clutch, a limited slip differential, an upgraded fuel system, and a stand alone system like the Link.

i don't really like the GReddy kit 'cause it starts out incomplete and doesn't manage the engine very well. FM did a lot of research and development when they did their turbo kit, so i trust theirs over the GReddy which is basically a bolt-on manifold and turbo from one of their many kits. if i can get more info on it i might consider it...

lasermp5 said:
if you get the msm, I'll take the 92 :D How about 2k?
that totally depends...we have to fix it still (accident), and just might keep it as a classic car. it was ordered from washington ('cause they had no more BRGs w/ tan interior and black top in CA), and i've been riding it since i was 5, took my girlfriend around in it A LOT...so there's a lot of sentimental value.

Last edited:
I think the MSM is an awesome little car. I got to drive it today at Mazda Rev It Up and all I can say is wow. If you want a fun car with great power, the MSM is the right car for you. I wouldn't change a thing (maybe lower it an inch). Other than that it is completely neutral in it handling.

labor would be a lot.
but it all depends on how much you are willing to do yourself.

if you have some knowlagde of working on car, I would do everything but the turbokit yourself.

also forgot to add a clutch in there

Flyin Miata ACT clutch---$400
you won't want to get a flywheel, on turbocars is won't help that much and the motor won't feel as balanced

I atempted a homemade turbokit on my old miata. It wasn't much fun at all, I do know that if I just saved a little more and got an FM kit I wouldn't have had any issues and my little miata would have been boosted. But complications in the middle of the install (ie: forgetting to order a couple parts and a couple more not showing up) was a HUGE setback. Being that my Miata was my only mode of transportation, I had to put it backtogether bonestock. :(

Last edited:
Mazdaspeed Miata gets your the warranty. I was deciding on MSM or MSP... I went with the MSP cuz of the 4 doors. But i think if u rebuilt a Miata and then put turbo that is still 70k miles on that engine and other parts. Where as a new MSM would be 0 mile on the parts. If u really want keep the other Miata around as a fun car you can work on and take parts out of it... Much more useful that way.

jflo said:
i don't really like the GReddy kit 'cause it starts out incomplete and doesn't manage the engine very well. FM did a lot of research and development when they did their turbo kit, so i trust theirs over the GReddy which is basically a bolt-on manifold and turbo from one of their many kits. if i can get more info on it i might consider it...

http://www.greddyturbofaqs.com/

The kit is more than a turbo and manifold. It's complete, it's just not a complete 15psi monster like the FMII kit.

If you stay at the base boost level of 5psi and do a couple small modifications (relief cuts on manifold, upgraded bolts, cheap crossover pipe, heat shielding) you'd have a very reliable lightly boosted car that would make around 130whp versus the stock 90whp.

The great thing about the Greddy kit is that you can start small and then add boost a couple psi w/supporting mods at a time.

In any case, I don't think I'd be adding either kit myself if the Miata was my only mode of transport. Installation can take quite a bit of time and problems can always arise no matter how complete the kit was.

I don't it would cost 10 grand to get everything up to par.

1st of all do you have the miata with the BP or the B6.

If you have the BP , then you more than likely have bigger brakes already .. If not you can source bigger brakes off another BP powered miata.. boom 50x2 100 bucks ... your set with bigger brakes for 100 bucks...

as for suspension kyb agx, and some good springs. -- your set again
You can get a good set of lightweight wheels for about 400 to 500 and a good set of tires for about 250 to 300 .. that puts you at 800 for a rim and tire set 15" inch wheels.
boom you just saved 200 bucks on wheels.

It won't cost you anywhere near 10 grand to put the whole set up together...
just make sure you visit the junkyard.
Bruce

noclue119 said:
Mazdaspeed Miata gets your the warranty. I was deciding on MSM or MSP... I went with the MSP cuz of the 4 doors. But i think if u rebuilt a Miata and then put turbo that is still 70k miles on that engine and other parts. Where as a new MSM would be 0 mile on the parts. If u really want keep the other Miata around as a fun car you can work on and take parts out of it... Much more useful that way.
that's also true about the warranty...but then again, the '91 is really old, so there would be no point in having a warranty on this car. there's also a lot of wrecked 1.6 engine powered cars i can take the engine out of. but the MSM is very appealing. i didn't really expect Mazda to come out with anything great, but they had the MSP. it came time to get a new car since the '91 was getting old and damaged, so i got the MSP w/o knowledge of the MSM coming soon. and now that it's almost here, i'm lusting for it. the '91 has about 106K miles...the FM kit would let the engine keep going for about until 250K i think (i've seen many FM turbo'd cars go past that as well).

cthomp21 said:
http://www.greddyturbofaqs.com/

The kit is more than a turbo and manifold. It's complete, it's just not a complete 15psi monster like the FMII kit.

If you stay at the base boost level of 5psi and do a couple small modifications (relief cuts on manifold, upgraded bolts, cheap crossover pipe, heat shielding) you'd have a very reliable lightly boosted car that would make around 130whp versus the stock 90whp.

The great thing about the Greddy kit is that you can start small and then add boost a couple psi w/supporting mods at a time.

In any case, I don't think I'd be adding either kit myself if the Miata was my only mode of transport. Installation can take quite a bit of time and problems can always arise no matter how complete the kit was.
wow thanks for giving me that link. lots of info about the GReddy kit. i'm not really aiming for high power like the FMII provides, but just more oomph to kick ass on the street/drifting. adding on parts going along sounds interesting, but since i'm going to college, it might put a hindrance in putting it together. if i turbo the '91, the MSP will still be here. if the MSP is traded in, there might be two miatas in the house.

the FMI provides the Link controller and other electronics and accessories to help make the care more reliable and safer...but ya never know what can happen...makes choosing the MSM over a turbo kit a lot more difficult

bruce95fmla said:
I don't it would cost 10 grand to get everything up to par.

1st of all do you have the miata with the BP or the B6.

If you have the BP , then you more than likely have bigger brakes already .. If not you can source bigger brakes off another BP powered miata.. boom 50x2 100 bucks ... your set with bigger brakes for 100 bucks...

as for suspension kyb agx, and some good springs. -- your set again
You can get a good set of lightweight wheels for about 400 to 500 and a good set of tires for about 250 to 300 .. that puts you at 800 for a rim and tire set 15" inch wheels.
boom you just saved 200 bucks on wheels.

It won't cost you anywhere near 10 grand to put the whole set up together...
just make sure you visit the junkyard.
Bruce
i think i have the miata w/ the BP. it's a '91 BRG w/ leather interior, and the VIN was 236XXX or something higher so i'm guessing it's BP. as of its current state, the clutch needs replacing, and the rotors and pads are really bad. the pedal feel is really vague almost...i think it's cause the pads are worn down. the suspension shouldn't cost too much...proabably around $600-700 minus installation (which can be done by MOCC members w/ their infinite amount of tools and skills). might go w/ a combo from FM for wheel/tire package 'cause those Kosei K1s are nice and they come with sticky tires as well. i'm probably also going to make a visit to the junkyard

bruce95fmla said:
Also you know that it tends to be cheaper to put your own turbo kit together than to buy a kit ..
it does tend to be cheaper, but research and development done by a reputable company is also priceless.

*that's why i'm hoping the MSM will be good and turbo-ing the '91 will be good, too

It's all a matter of personal preference. You have to weigh the pros and cons. Everyone is giving great advice here. :)

Here's my advice: find someone that has an M1 that is similar to your ideal setup (turbo, susp., brakes, ect.) Ask them if you can test drive it. Then test drive the MS MX-5 (when they are available). Then make your decision based on how each car makes you feel.

Reason for my theory: Some people say the M1 (once modded) feels the tightest in the turns and quicker when turbo'ed.
Then other say that the M2 feels more set and stable like a true sports car and that the suspension changes/added weight (as compared to the M1) are well founded and worth it.

it all depends on your preference. It's a big step to buy a new car or dedicate your current one to modification. Just see how you feel in each one so you will not regret having made a decision without experiencing each first. :)

Good luck in your quest for mo' powa! :p

Back