Tuning the Stock Ecu? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a 2L its kind of pointless to do that, a turbo will spool plenty fast enough.

Plus its fwd, a little bit of lag will help with traction. And the trans doesnt like more than 300whp maybe less with the added stress of twin charging it. A t28 is more than enough for that and will spool up pretty quick

A bit of caution for the tweaking of the ECU.

Keep a stock file.

Have good a/f and timing, knock sensor data source. Tweak in small amounts. Don't 'sell' your successful improved base tune - give it away! Free! (but ask for donations on paypal)... (for legal reasons ;) )

Measure the baseline run, MP3, and then your improved base tune...

No - a reflash happens in under five minutes... At least it does for my car...

BIG gains from tuning really only happen to boosted cars and diesel trucks. sry. This will only help the hapless individuals who bought the auto trans and can't use a MP3 tune...

If i spend the money on twin charging i have no problem upgrading other components along the way. For say clutch, drivetrain, obviously forged internals etc. Not gonna slap on a huge setup and leave car stock thats just asking for a disaster.

the idea behind twin charging is not to make stupid HP but to make even distribution of that horsepower. I want car to get up and go but also wanna have top speed.

Ok, I stand by my statement then..

The STOCK GT-25 off of the MSP has literally Zero Lag, run that..

You need to do a lot more research (like go drive a stock MSP) before coming to the conclusion that Twin Charging is the only answer.

How many people do you see on the forum that have done it... NONE... That should tell you that it is not the correct plan of attack to get you to your goals.

(Top Speed in this car stock is about 200 Km/h before it blows up so don't worry about trying for that either)

A bit of caution for the tweaking of the ECU.

Keep a stock file.

Have good a/f and timing, knock sensor data source. Tweak in small amounts. Don't 'sell' your successful improved base tune - give it away! Free! (but ask for donations on paypal)... (for legal reasons ;) )

Measure the baseline run, MP3, and then your improved base tune...

No - a reflash happens in under five minutes... At least it does for my car...

BIG gains from tuning really only happen to boosted cars and diesel trucks. sry. This will only help the hapless individuals who bought the auto trans and can't use a MP3 tune...

A little lost on some of this, dude...

reflashing 'your car'? in 5 minutes...if you're talking about the Mitsubishi in your info, not really relevant, right? completely different computers...Going off of what spicymsp mentioned in his FS thread, whom is the only non-dealership guy flashing these computers to my knowledge, claimed it took over an hour iirc...

Big gains only on FI are subjective...ALL factory tuned EEC-V's are 100% trash in a tuning sense...hopelessly rich in open loop, yet dangerously lean in closed...Just look at the NA dyno threads from years ago...guys banging off 15whp jumps from JUST a stand alone computer properly tuned on an otherwise stock car...of course, there is A LOT more than that for FI guys...but there is plenty of room for improvement on NA cars as well...

the cost involved depends on what is offered...giving away maps should be free...but it takes a $200 cable w/ software to do the flash...so if he is moving reflashed computers with cores or whatever, its actually no different than what spicymsp has done for years...something many members have found completely fair...

as far as twin charging, though...I'm with the other guys, i don't really see the point of twin charging an FS when the engine isn't designed for that...it has plenty of stroke for low-end power no matter what form of FI you need, so has no problem spooling even larger turbochargers...twin charging is reserved for extremely small displacement engines that need to immediately get air stuffed into them to feel 'bigger'...the FS is actually an amazing 4 cylinder engine until about 3,000 rpm, and by then it'll easily be spinning a turbo...adding a super charger for off idle positive displacement is just a s*** ton of work without any real need...imo at least...

if you're worried about low end response...i'd suggest a bump to static compression with a T-25...and a proper tune...compression increase will give more power everywhere...a T25 will have absolutely zero noticeable lag...and together you could be putting down pretty ridiculous numbers...you don't often hear people saying add compression with FI...but when you're able to tune it properly, it gives the most 'NA-Like FI' available...

*Twin Charging" its supercharger and turbo. Turbos are spooled by exhuast so there for typically get gains in higher RPMS where as superchargers are spooled by incomming air which makes them more feasible for lower rpms. There for install both get best of both worlds.

Since when is a supercharger spooled by incoming air. It is driven by a pulley.

As long as we just dreaming about twin-charging and the like :), why not look into a variable-geometry turbocharger.

A little lost on some of this, dude...

reflashing 'your car'? in 5 minutes...if you're talking about the Mitsubishi in your info, not really relevant, right? completely different computers...Going off of what spicymsp mentioned in his FS thread, whom is the only non-dealership guy flashing these computers to my knowledge, claimed it took over an hour iirc...
Yes, bad assumption on my part - i stand corrected.
Big gains only on FI are subjective...ALL factory tuned EEC-V's are 100% trash in a tuning sense...hopelessly rich in open loop, yet dangerously lean in closed...Just look at the NA dyno threads from years ago...guys banging off 15whp jumps from JUST a stand alone computer properly tuned on an otherwise stock car...of course, there is A LOT more than that for FI guys...but there is plenty of room for improvement on NA cars as well...
Agreed. I just meant the gains over the MP3 flash... Which IIRC corrects the pig rich condition at WOT and advances the timing.
the cost involved depends on what is offered...giving away maps should be free...but it takes a $200 cable w/ software to do the flash...so if he is moving reflashed computers with cores or whatever, its actually no different than what spicymsp has done for years...something many members have found completely fair...

True - i guess my assumption was that the developer would provide the basemap free (but to actually flash it meant the recipient would have bought the hardware (or shared ;))...
[snip]...

If its lag youre worried about, buy my vj11 i can get 5 psi at 2500 rpms with a 1.6. The fs would probly see 10-12 by that time if not mored

I personally think a twin turbo setup would be a better waste of money

pfunk...cool man, i didn't know if you knew something i didn't about the time it takes to flash, thats all...

the MP3 computer mildly 'fixes' the AFR problem of the stock ecu...it noticeably smooths it out, but remains very rich for the amount of power being made...

but yes, you're right...the mp3 ecu is surprisingly aggressive with timing when fed the right fuel...coming more in line with Japanese FS-ZE computers for their 170bhp variants...so i'd bet you can't go much higher with timing, but you could definitely play around with the AFRs, and see some gains...just not as drastic as going from the stock ecu...which i'm surprised is even driveable...

Thank you Installsheild for the descriptive definition rather than snide remarks. I will take this into consideration when I get to the point. I plan on building motor first, as stock motors are typically not meant for boosting. And i dont wanna spend a few thousand to pull like 5 lbs boost and get low turn over. Id rather spend the extra and go the extra mile.

Ky tuner - sorry i meant to say super charger uses incomming air where as turbo uses exhaust. Was just at shock how arrogant some people can be.

Brian_MP5T - you have a very nice car, and obviously are abundant in knowledge. There is no reason you could not have replied to my fourm in a way like installshield2 did. The way you came into this was my cars king **** f*** everything else. Do it like mine or its garbage. And many other members have said they feel the same way about you. We are more than willing to hear what you have to share, and learn from your knowledge, but you could be a little kinder when doing so. As I probably would have loved to hear what you had to say if I did not feel you were arrogant upon reading original post.

I say do it,... the only motive should be "because we can".
90% of all modifications serve no practical purpose anyway. They are to show off and put a smile on your face.

I was intrigued by twin charging after seeing it set up on a few different rides. It was insanse what they were able to do with it. It also looked amazing lol.

I say do it,... the only motive should be "because we can".
90% of all modifications serve no practical purpose anyway. They are to show off and put a smile on your face.

All of my mods have had a purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back