transmission swap possible??

CrzySmitty

:
2003 Mazda Protege LX
I have an 0'3 sedan lx non-turbo 5-speed manual ... I have been trying to look into a swap for an automatic but noone want to trade cars .. so I was thinking about just swapping the tranny .. is it possible and if so about how much would it run?

good luck with that. it would be easier and cheaper to sell your car and buy an automatic version.

I've been trying to find someone to trade with me but no takers at all .. I'm about a hair from puttin up on craigslist or checkin out a buy-her-pay-here .. but, I do love my car and fi'd I would ask about a tranny swap first

there's more to it than just putting a different transmission in. you'd have to get a new computer (therefore a new harness), and get custom mounts, custom fit the gear selector and even then I don't know how well it'd work.
1. you're nuts for wanting an auto over a manual
2. It is definitely more worth your while to buy an auto instead of trying to swap.

there's more to it than just putting a different transmission in. you'd have to get a new computer (therefore a new harness), and get custom mounts, custom fit the gear selector and even then I don't know how well it'd work.
1. you're nuts for wanting an auto over a manual
2. It is definitely more worth your while to buy an auto instead of trying to swap.

A swap is definitely expensive for ecu and transmission pricing, and probably not worth doing. However custom motor mounts are not needed considering there are mounts for the automatic transmission already produced. And any other "custom" things are not needed...its a swap that is already made for this car and everything needed is already fabricated as there is an automatic transmission made and sold with this car...also to each their own. Maybe OP doesn't like driving a stick due to traffic situations or what not...Still not my cup of tea. Anywho, just google auto transmissions and try to find an automatic ecu and price it out. Or even call the dealership. either way, it's pricey...

ok, so my reply disappeared lol the short of it is I work nights now, the wife works days, we only have one car and she can't drive stick ... I don't have the money to buy a new/different car and noone want to do a trade .. I was just exploring options :)

i understand your reason but the cost to go manual to automatic isnt worth it. maybe take her out to learn to drive it...its not that hard to learn. gotta do what you gotta do.

If only you were closer, I've actually put ads wanting to trade my auto for a 5spd

Last edited:
Im wanting to do an auto to 5speed swap pretty soon idk id you would be interested in the cv axles and transmission. you would also need the automatic engine harness, auto ecu, and the shifter

Back