Transmission shifting behavior AWD

Amen to that brother! In my "idle moments" behind the wheel I often take pleasure in "playing" the throttle and brake (particularly up and down hills) to get the trans into the gear I think it should be in without resorting to manual mode (which I find I use less and less over time). Yet I see posts on this forum time and again that clearly indicate many owners don't have a clue how the SkyActiv 6AT works and what its capabilities are. Pity.

I'm glad some are capable of figuring it out. And yes, the brake comes into play. If I'm descending a hill or approaching a red light I generally tap the brakes lightly which is what it takes to downshift a gear. This saves fuel and brake wear without resorting to manual mode.

I think most people are stuck in la-la land when behind the wheel. It's like a disease.

I'm glad some are capable of figuring it out. And yes, the brake comes into play. If I'm descending a hill or approaching a red light I generally tap the brakes lightly which is what it takes to downshift a gear. This saves fuel and brake wear without resorting to manual mode.
I have to say, having the auto gear selector dash display actually call out which gear is in use would make these exercises one helluva lot easier/more fun. Don't understand why Mazda cheaped out on this simple feature! Somebody in Hiroshima still needs to learn that the devil is indeed in the details!

Mine does what I'll call a whip lash when accelerating hard. If I am slowing down, say approaching a light or an-on ramp, and I slow right down, but not quite make a stop (still rolling, say less than 15 km/h (9~10 mph) and I mash the pedal hard (3/4 to the floor) the engine revs way up and then the tranny seems to kick in and it jolts forward. There is a definitely delay as the engine and tranny aren't in sync. I've observed that the tach goes way up and then jumps down as the tranny engages and then climbs back up again.

It's annoying as you are expecting instant power and its like the tranny is deciding which gear to jump into. If I know that I'm going to need to jump on the gas hard, I almost always will shift into manual mode, the auto is just too slow for my liking at times.

If I repeat the above in manual mode, there is almost no delay and almost instant forward motion. I'm going to test drive another to see if they behave the same or its just mine. From reading the above, sounds like its just a "feature" that I'll have to live with.

That said, the CX5 is a beautiful car to drive at high speeds on the highway...I just never get the chance.

I have to say, having the auto gear selector dash display actually call out which gear is in use would make these exercises one helluva lot easier/more fun. Don't understand why Mazda cheaped out on this simple feature! Somebody in Hiroshima still needs to learn that the devil is indeed in the details!

I agree. Sometimes I resort to moving the selector into manual mode if I'm not sure which gear it's in. On the other hand, none of my 6 speed motorcycles tell me that info either. I don't think Mazda "cheaper out" (cost would be nothing once implemented) rather they are following the 'KISS' principal. Keep it simple stupid! But I don't like the way Apple has dumbed down computer and cell phone interfaces. To play devil's advocate, Apple has been very successful with this approach so I think they are simply meeting market needs. Most people are more interested in their latest text message than what gear they are in.

wt r u doing?

hw r u?

wts up?

Mine does what I'll call a whip lash when accelerating hard. If I am slowing down, say approaching a light or an-on ramp, and I slow right down, but not quite make a stop (still rolling, say less than 15 km/h (9~10 mph) and I mash the pedal hard (3/4 to the floor) the engine revs way up and then the tranny seems to kick in and it jolts forward. There is a definitely delay as the engine and tranny aren't in sync. I've observed that the tach goes way up and then jumps down as the tranny engages and then climbs back up again.

It's annoying as you are expecting instant power and its like the tranny is deciding which gear to jump into. If I know that I'm going to need to jump on the gas hard, I almost always will shift into manual mode, the auto is just too slow for my liking at times.

If I repeat the above in manual mode, there is almost no delay and almost instant forward motion. I'm going to test drive another to see if they behave the same or its just mine. From reading the above, sounds like its just a "feature" that I'll have to live with.

That said, the CX5 is a beautiful car to drive at high speeds on the highway...I just never get the chance.

I've had that happen twice on my 2013 AWD. I imagine there is a "hole" in the shift logic programming of the early models. I bet there is a software update for this, I just haven't bothered.

I agree. Sometimes I resort to moving the selector into manual mode if I'm not sure which gear it's in. On the other hand, none of my 6 speed motorcycles tell me that info either. I don't think Mazda "cheaper out" (cost would be nothing once implemented) rather they are following the 'KISS' principal. Keep it simple stupid! Most people are more interested in their latest text message than what gear they are in.
On the other hand, BMW owners, in the main, are just as interested in tech as CX-5 owners and yet they include the gear # on their dash readout in both auto and manual modes. It comes in handy on my wife's recently-acquired used Z4 when you switch from comfort to sport mode and you can actually verify that the DCT is holding gears longer in the latter. I don't think Mazda has changed this on newer CX-5s with sport mode feature.

On the other hand, BMW owners, in the main, are just as interested in tech as CX-5 owners and yet they include the gear # on their dash readout in both auto and manual modes.

That's very German and I like it. I just think most Americans are not so interested in the details. In other words, we are in the minority on this issue but I would welcome a gear indicator for auto mode. What's worse is my 2010 F-150 comes with a six speed auto but only the first 3 gears are manually selectable! And following the KISS principle, there is no indication of what gear it's actually in when in full auto mode.

In "SPORT" mode the transmission holds gears longer and it's more aggressive but it's actually TOO aggressive and shifting out back into NORMAL mode needs to be done when on the highway.

I agree with that: it would be simple and cheap to turn that red D into 7-segment LED display. Not really a big deal, but a nice touch for those drivers who like to feel connected to their car and Mazda's 'zoom-zoom' slogan makes it at least appear they market to that segment.

On the other hand, BMW owners, in the main, are just as interested in tech as CX-5 owners and yet they include the gear # on their dash readout in both auto and manual modes. It comes in handy on my wife's recently-acquired used Z4 when you switch from comfort to sport mode and you can actually verify that the DCT is holding gears longer in the latter. I don't think Mazda has changed this on newer CX-5s with sport mode feature.

My '06 3 had the gear number displayed. I did miss it when I first got the cx-5 which for some reason just tells you its in D... Note that if you switch to manual mode, it does in fact show the gear.

My '06 3 had the gear number displayed. I did miss it when I first got the cx-5 which for some reason just tells you its in D... Note that if you switch to manual mode, it does in fact show the gear.
Right, but the discussion here is about auto mode.

From what I have gathered I am not the only one experiencing this. I am used to automatics shifting without any fluctaution in the RPM's after that. I guess Mazda has it programmed in a such a way to increase the smoothness of the shift but also something with fuel economy in mind. The shfting from 2nd and up doesn't have this, so the difference in gear ratio and the trans having to catch up also makes sense.

From what I have gathered I am not the only one experiencing this. I am used to automatics shifting without any fluctaution in the RPM's after that. I guess Mazda has it programmed in a such a way to increase the smoothness of the shift but also something with fuel economy in mind. The shfting from 2nd and up doesn't have this, so the difference in gear ratio and the trans having to catch up also makes sense.

Actually, no one here has said they had a "one second delay" on a 1st-2nd upshift (except for you). A small pause is normal but not a full second.

If yours pauses a full second you should take it in and have it looked at.

1 second is a bit of exaggeration, it is probably a split second. However, when the car is rolling and you mash on the throttle it will rev up, move forward, and a second later the appropriate gear kicks in. Just seems that the trans is programmed this way.

I have this going on too, and my opinion is that I *believe* it may be the torque converter shifting first before the normal shifts. Its not all the time, but just cruising it seems to do it. Its not thrilling me as I've driven manuals for my last 3 cars due to automatics doing these things, and though this would be different as it was pretty smooth when brand new. I'm debating on taking it to the dealer and having it checked out but thinking that I'm going to get the "thats normal" runaround.

Also I agree it feels just about a second. Not sure if its the actual trans, or if perhaps the ECM is actually closing the throttle body. I went through this with my last car (GTI) and it drove me NUTS as it would fall on its face for a split second after taking off from say, a toll booth or having to slow down in traffic.

This is my first automatic car that I have purchased without intentions of flipping it, all of my previous vehicles that I have purchased were manuals for the exact same reason, modern automatics are programmed weird and have odd behavior. The torque converter creating the odd behavior is definitely a big possibility. I am glad someone else notices exactly what I am referring to, and I too have considered going to the dealer and have them check it out but I will definitely get "its normal" response. Heck, I went to the dealer with my drivers seat having the rocking issue and they told me that is normal.

My girlfriend has a 15' Jetta TSI and it too has an odd behavior when it shifts into 2nd, almost like it wants to fall on its face but then it takes off. Happens in a matter of seconds, and her 15' rental Jetta did the same thing. Really annoying.

I have this going on too, and my opinion is that I *believe* it may be the torque converter shifting first before the normal shifts. Its not all the time, but just cruising it seems to do it. Its not thrilling me as I've driven manuals for my last 3 cars due to automatics doing these things, and though this would be different as it was pretty smooth when brand new. I'm debating on taking it to the dealer and having it checked out but thinking that I'm going to get the "thats normal" runaround.

Also I agree it feels just about a second. Not sure if its the actual trans, or if perhaps the ECM is actually closing the throttle body. I went through this with my last car (GTI) and it drove me NUTS as it would fall on its face for a split second after taking off from say, a toll booth or having to slow down in traffic.
The torque converter is inoperative from five mph on. It's there only to smooth out low speed operation.

I pretty much shift all my gear until I'm cruising. I have found a noticeable delay in the shifting on the 2.5. It is greater than when I had the 2.p0op (it wasn't even something that came to mind on the 2.p0op until I bought the 2.5 and immediately noticed it, both AWD). In fact, if I want to get a nice WOT, red line shift that will give me no loss in power, and a nice hollow pop I have to time it just right or the delay from pushing the selector and the gear making it's movement will cause me to get fuel cut off. It sounds cool but of course power loss as the gear changes...

The shifting is definitely delayed. First time I used the manual mode, it took a second to shift. I had reached the rev limiter before it shifted. I did notice that if you shift just right it will go into 2nd gear at redline pretty hard.

Back