Transmission clunk, thud and jolt

Interesting to read all this.

I tested the CX-5 automatic and enjoyed the test drive in manual mode. The shift was smooth and better than my '08 bimmer in manual mode. But I guess for day to day drive, driving in manual mode doesn't really make a lot of sense - if one wants to shift all the time, might as well get a real manual. It sounds to me that the automatic shifts to high gears too soon too often, so various situations often demands multiple downshift, and in some cars the downshift may be harsh.

I'd certainly wait for the 2.5 unit to see how things turn out. My '02 CR-V has 160HP with a 4 spd auto and handles traffic quite well, so the CX-5 should get a bit more power for the American roads. An eco mode would be helpful too.

Waiting for the 2.5 unit probably wont help because of the number of gears in newer transmissions. Multiple gear downshifts will be the norm. I expect because of folks like the OP the norm will soon be CVT's because of how hard some people are on their transmissions. They expect to crawl down the onramp then hit lightspeed right at the merge. Notice it was mentioned how many cars the OP owned... 200?? Comeon that's a warning sign right there.

This is a very interesting issue. My transmission is behaving as Mazda designed it and on the D.C. streets, it performs poorly. I almost have it down to a precise calculation of how much force I need on the pedal at a certain speed to downshift (that's if I haven't already done it in manual mode). I have a light foot and don't accelerate too quickly. In my girlfriends Elantra GT this is fine because the gears shift at appropriate times and there's more of a power band (6 speed auto). The CX-5 upshifts waaaay too early. If I need to goose it just a little bit, the tranny is often times 500 rpm below the beginning of the band.

Oh well. I noticed it during the test drive and I'll live with it. I still love this vehicle, but I feel for those of you who are having severe problems. That's a bummer.

UPDATE. Met with a Mazda rep at the selling dealer on 9/12, and the shifting problem was acknowledged. Reflashed the tranny software with the "most recent updates" four (4) times. No improvement. Pending Lemon Law Arbitration.

It's been a month, how's the pending Lemon Law Arbitration thing going?

Thank you for your interest. The CX-5 was returned to me last Friday. Under arbitration Mazda acknowledged that issues existed with my vehicle and agreed to correct the problem. Several driveline components were replaced with a new 3/36 warranty and the car now drives as it should have from the git-go. I have been forced to utilize the AZ Lemon Law three times: #1 1998 VW New Beetle. #2 2001 Acura RSX and then the CX-5. Each time it worked as intended...to protect the consumer. I must say that once I did get Mazda's attention they were cooperative and pro-active to find a fix for the shifting defect. Also, the new Mazda6 loaner car they provided was an absolutely delightful auto and was close in quality and ride to my Lexus 350. For any fellow Arizonans with auto issues do not hesitate to utilize the AZ Lemon Law process...it does work. God Bless the Lemon Law and SB1070

Thanks for report. Good outcome actually resulting from arbitration as expected.

Btw - what driveline components were changed?

Last edited:
Gone...like a bad dream. The CX-5 was the first and last Mazda I will ever own. Out of a couple of hundred cars in my sixty-six years this was in the top three of the poorest purchase decisions I have ever made. FYI, numero uno was a '98 VW New Beetle...#2 a 2000 Acura. I am back in a BMW...the X5 and lovin' it. Adios zoom-zoom.

Gone...like a bad dream. The CX-5 was the first and last Mazda I will ever own. Out of a couple of hundred cars in my sixty-six years this was in the top three of the poorest purchase decisions I have ever made. FYI, numero uno was a '98 VW New Beetle...#2 a 2000 Acura. I am back in a BMW...the X5 and lovin' it. Adios zoom-zoom.

Are you saying this wasn't fixed?

I had the exact think happen to me this weekend. I was doing about 70 mph, giving the car a little bit of gas when it rev'ed really high then felt a severe jolt, almost like we ran over something. My son was in the car and even asked "What was that?" It was about a 400 mile round trip and the first time I had every really done much HW driving with it.

Wow, an X5 as cure for reliability concerns, lol. Good luck with that.

LOL and Lovin' It!

Wow, an X5 as cure for reliability concerns, lol. Good luck with that.

10k on the X5 and not an issue...vast improvement over the CX-5. Granted I gave up 3mpg in town and 2 on the interstate but it was well worth it.
The new RAV4 looks interesting...I may try one of those in the future, but one thing for certain...No Mas Mazda's. Merry Christmas and adios'.

In the UK comparing a X5 to a CX5 would be laughed at.

To spec a X3 to our sport version would cost around 39K, while the CX5 is around 29K.

I haven't priced or driven a X5 as the cost would be around 49K, and the car is way too big and heavy for my needs.

The X3 can be compared however, at lest on power, but only with the 2l diesel.

10K on a X5 with zero issues, that's very good (for a X5).

I'm pleased...it's 9500 more trouble free miles than I experienced with the CX-5 in the first 10K. Maybe Mazda will correct all of the CX-5's problem with a re-engineering for the 2.5L edition...don't hold your breath though as it appears that problems just continue to appear one after another. Look out Mazda here comes the '13 RAV4.

i'm pleased...it's 9500 more trouble free miles than i experienced with the cx-5 in the first 10k. Maybe mazda will correct all of the cx-5's problem with a re-engineering for the 2.5l edition...don't hold your breath though as it appears that problems just continue to appear one after another. Look out mazda here comes the '13 rav4.

2013 RAV4 = boring

I'm pleased...it's 9500 more trouble free miles than I experienced with the CX-5 in the first 10K. Maybe Mazda will correct all of the CX-5's problem with a re-engineering for the 2.5L edition...don't hold your breath though as it appears that problems just continue to appear one after another. Look out Mazda here comes the '13 RAV4.

That's great (for an X5), might be a record but they have had 6 years to re-engineer the 2006-launched product that had so many years of dismal reliabilty.

Not worried about boring '13 Rav4. Have you seen that thing?

That's great (for an X5), might be a record but they have had 6 years to re-engineer the 2006-launched product that had so many years of dismal reliabilty.

Not worried about boring '13 Rav4. Have you seen that thing?

Yes I have seen it. Reminds me of the Escape. Toyota makes realiable cars but I still prefer the look and styling of the CX5

While I like the CX-5 better handling and better fuel-economy, I am still open to the RAV-4 2013. In a perfect world, I'd get a wagon AWD with superior handling and fuel economy at $20K. In the real world, I need a CUV.
The current gen RAV-4 was unappealing because it (i) had an antiquated 4AT (ii) Spare on rear door (iii) behind on fuel-economy. All of these were addressed by Toyota: new 6AT, hatch on the rear and improved fuel-economy, which I estimate will be only 1.5 MPGs less than the CX-5, only a little more than $100/year for my mileage.
I also believe the RAV-4 2013 will drive better than current gen, not as good as the CX-5. I drove the current gen RAV-4 for a few days and thought it can be acceptable (not great) for my needs.
However, I trust Toyota's quality better than Mazda's and because they sell far more vehicles, the chance of a defect not being addressed because it affects "only few hundred" vehicles, is not possible. Toyota is now extra careful with quality because of the unintended acceleration, which was a PR issue not a technical issue IMHO.
In addition, the RAV-4 should be better for mild off-road because it has better angle of approach and diff lock at low speed.
Finally, since I would be happy with a base model with AWD, Toyota may offer a 2.5L engine at a lower price than a CX-5 AWD 2.5L which can only be had in >= Touring trim.

Many people equate Toyota with boring mostly because it is ubiquitous. I could not car less if there are thousands of replicas. Most of us are not doing track days and a CUV is not the right vehicle for it anyway, 'boring' to drive.

Last edited:
Very well stated ALafya and I am shocked that the know it all from "northern CA" hasn't berated your very accurate assessment of the Mazda vs. Toyota debate...if there really even is one. I tried a Mazda and won't make the mistake again. Yes, the CX-5 is better than most American made vehicles but far short of my current and former Toyota's including those assembled in the U.S. and Mexico. I'll take a ubiquitious, boring, well engineered and smooth shifting RAV4 over a CX-5 anytime. Although, I dumped the CX-5 for a BMW X5 the '13 RAV4 will probably be my next SUV type ride.

Or that the "know it all" from AZ selection for reliability was....lol.

I've owned 2 Toyotas personally (unlike some) and find that Alafya's opinion on Toyotas has merit.

So many postings by the "know it all" from "northern CA"...but so little time. God help those who may have a sensible, valid and unbiased statement or request for information on this site, only to encounter this doubting thomas mentality and demeaning commentary from the forums wizard.

Back