Transmission Bolt Question

GermanMP3

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
I just pulled my transmission in my 2001 MP3 to change the clutch and replace the rear main seal. My problem is that 2 of the bolts in the rear mount ( between engine and firewall ) galled up with the aluminum from the transmission. Now they wont clean up either. I am curious if there is a heli-coil kit for this or if any one has the specs for these bolts so I can TRY and cut new threads?

Sorry to thread jack here,

Since you have taken ur transmission out I want to ask how hard it is to do and whats involved.

iJay,

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I am not sure which trans you have, mine is the 5 speed manual. I have access to a shop with all the tools needed. You need a support to hold the engine in place as you will have all of the mounts out except for one. I took the lower A frame out with the rotor still attached and the half shafts in them to make it easier for me. I didn't want to tear up the lower ball joints during removal is the biggest reason. You will have to remove the lower engine support and the rear transmission mount. I will tell you this, be careful when you use air tools. The manual transmission is aluminum and the bolts for the rear mount are steel. I have to re-thread or heli-coil mine now because they galled up with the aluminum. I was able to get mine done in a Saurday ( about 10 hours ).

Back