tranny went pooooooo

Pez

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
so of course right when i start getting money together to start getting parts for my MSP my tranny craps out on me. I was leaving work yesterday and while driving down the road the car kinda felt like it was "missing" on a cylinder or something. I got to the stop sign put it in first gear took off and was moving, then heard a grinding noise and then lost all power to the wheels. I didnt' see any of the drive shafts broken, but i haven't jacked it up yet to get a better look. So it still goes into all gears but nothing happens. when you let off the clutch the engine revs a little bit. So with that said i'm not thinking it's the clutch.....i'm thinking it's probably the LSD.... SO if anyone has one or knows where i can get one on a budget let me know. I won't be able to yank the tranny out till next week when i'm off. Thank GOD i have my good old dodge ram thats still kicking. If you have any "insight" in what may be wrong please feel free to let me know.

yep. chances are it probably is the LSD. if your stockish, you can find a stock LSD and get it welded or go m-factory and never worry about the LSD breaking again.

is there any information on what to weld in the LSD. I work with a lot of welders who can do a good job on welding it. I'll look at both options. I'm still pondering the idea of fixing the car and keeping it, or fixing it and moving on to something else. Or i may pull the whole shabang and forge everything and fix the tranny.

BUILD IT lol. and look on protegegarage.com im prettys sure they have a picture of a welded LSD on their site.

It's not worth getting rid of the whole car over a common repair. No one has any problems with the LSD after it is replaced the first time.

I know its not "worth" getting rid of the car. But ive been pondering getting something else anyways. But now, I do kinda have an excuse to build the motor too. I dont know if I have to pull them both together. Ill be doing this in my garage with just jackstands. So if I can get just the tranny out I might do just that. If the motor comes out too then ill just forge it. Gotta find the money. And a sponsor. Lol

Hey horns fan, I just noticed your a mazda tech... you got any advice for takin care of this issue.

When my LSD failed I purchased a factory revised LSD for about $450, a new MSP clutch and installed it myself at work. I would never pull a trans with jack stands but that is me being spoiled with lift access.

Yea im in the oilfield now. Used to be a dodge tech then military for 8 years. So with that I gained tons of diesel experience and got pulled Into the oilfield. Ill go back to auto one day.

Well if you are experienced these transmissions are about as easy to pull as any I have ever worked on.

Thanks for the info. i did a little research during my luch break and seen a couple threads of ppl doing them in a regular garage and they had minimum exp...(just from reading there info) so i should be good to go. Thanks for all the responses and help;

Back