Trailer Hitch?

No luck on the part number. Comes up as "Yeah, right" on the N.Am. parts computers.

I have a call in to Draw-Tite to see if they're going to make anything. They are located only a couple miles from me, so I'm offering my car as guinea pig if they want to make one.

I also e-mailed the guy on cardomain to see where/how he got his.

Quick response from Hitch-Web:

Hello,

Price of this custom weld-on is $225.00 including ballmount, pin and clip,
and ground freight inside the Continental U.S. 1-1/4 Receiver is the size.
Capacity is 2000 lbs gross, 200 tongue. We do offer installation in Van
Nuys, California

So at this time, all we have to offer is a custom weld on. I will add you to
our waitlist, and when a bolt on hitch becomes available in 3 or 4 months,
we will let you know.

There are also some pictures on the www.mazda3forums.com of one we sent out

Hope to help soon.

Tony Hart
http://www.hitch-web.com
http://www.ballmounts.com
800-300-4067

Last edited:
Ok, final word and then I'll stop. :)

Just spoke with Don Rigby of Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch. The hitch has been fitted and designed and is in final testing. He estimates that it should be out and available at your favorite hitch retailer in about a month. (2thumbs)

I'm going to contact him periodically to get status updates.

My kx500 is on order and awaiting shipping once found. I am located in Wilm, DE but work in Westchester PA. The sooner I can get a hitch for this car the better. Hell, A trailer is needed too. I was hoping on getting both at same location. If you know of an installer of hitch and seller of small trailer(aluminum) let me know ASAP. I "should have KX delivered to my area within 2 weeks. The bike is paid for and hitch/trailer is a must pronto.

Thanks,
Eric

Mikey444 said:
DO NOT EVER TOW A TRAILER WITH ANY TYPE OF MAZDA 3!!!

The bike is under250lbs. Aluminum trailer is roughly same maybe 100lbls more. Why would 500 lbls be a problem with a Mazda 3? Four 190lbs men in a Mazda 3(whether 4 or 5 door) is more weight than a dirtbike and aluminum trailer. Christ, the car has 4 whl disc and the weight is not just put on the shocks. We are talking towing(ocassionally) 500 lbs. Again, 4 190lb men in a Mazda3 out weighs the bike and trailer. Not to sound like a jackass, but the Mazda 3 is not a race car and towing 5-600 pounds would not kill the car unless some idiot tries to always redline the car in every gear while towing. This was touched on earlier in thread and this will not be a problem aside from finding a hitch. I may just wind up using the weld on one discussed earlier. Proper equipment and common sense keps cars running for a long time.

neverendingmods said:
The bike is under250lbs. Aluminum trailer is roughly same maybe 100lbls more. Why would 500 lbls be a problem with a Mazda 3? Four 190lbs men in a Mazda 3(whether 4 or 5 door) is more weight than a dirtbike and aluminum trailer. Christ, the car has 4 whl disc and the weight is not just put on the shocks. We are talking towing(ocassionally) 500 lbs. Again, 4 190lb men in a Mazda3 out weighs the bike and trailer. Not to sound like a jackass, but the Mazda 3 is not a race car and towing 5-600 pounds would not kill the car unless some idiot tries to always redline the car in every gear while towing. This was touched on earlier in thread and this will not be a problem aside from finding a hitch. I may just wind up using the weld on one discussed earlier. Proper equipment and common sense keps cars running for a long time.

bicycle things and all is fine, put you should never tow anything with the Mazda 3, it also says so in the manual

Mikey444 said:
bicycle things and all is fine, put you should never tow anything with the Mazda 3, it also says so in the manual

And yet, the same car, available with the same specs in other countries allows towing with no problems ... so, our car is just special and we are not allowed to tow with it because the manual says so. :bs:

As said above, it's not a problem with the vehicle not being able to handle the towing capacity, it's about liability and Mazda USA not wanting to put up with it.

Sometimes one must screw the manual and go with common sense.

Mikey444 said:
DO NOT EVER TOW A TRAILER WITH ANY TYPE OF MAZDA 3!!!

(blah)

Yeah, and DO NOT EVER DO ANY KIND OF MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR CAR. It says so in your owner's manual, so it must be true.

Mikey, go to www.mazda.au, look up the mazda3, look up exterior accessories and then scroll to the bottom of the page. Tell us what you find. Mm-kay?

Anyway, I should have posted this earlier but I forgot. The Draw-Tite hitch should be available by now. When I last spoke with them, it was supposed to be out at the end of May. I haven't called them back but somebody else can or I will on Monday-ish.

There is a company in Cali who can make them for $225 which includes shipping, but its a weld-on. There was a post on another 3 forum a few months ago, and the poster there had his Lava 5-door listed on Cardomain with pics. Very helpful guy. May do a Cardomain search. Sorry, I don't remember his name nor EM addie.
Jeff, Ohio

goldwing2000 said:
The Draw-Tite should be about half that price (and will be removable).

Well I went ahead last week and ordered the weld on hitch. ETA of arrival is the 21st. I found 2 places so far willing to do it after seeing the setup. Very nice guys at hitch-web(I spoke to Tony twice). I don't have instant messanger but would e-mail a pic when it comes if someone wants to host them. Then off for a load rite trailer. (yippy)

per draw-tite on 6/14/04, none available and none in the works for the MZ3 hatch....
?????????????

Jeff, Ohio

3Zoom3 said:
per draw-tite on 6/14/04, none available and none in the works for the MZ3 hatch....
?????????????

Jeff, Ohio

Hmmm... interesting. Was that a phone call, e-mail or what? The guy I talked to was Don Rigby. I'll call him back and see what's up.

TW-Tech@cequentgroup.com is the EM addie that the response came from.

Body of EM:
>>Sorry no application available for this vehicle.

Thanks<<

Thats all. My bad, it doesn't say "none in the works", thats they way I remembered it.
Jeff, Ohio

I just called Don and he concurred that there's still no listing. He's going to look into it and call me back.

goldwing2000 said:
I just called Don and he concurred that there's still no listing. He's going to look into it and call me back.

First place I checked was u-haul. They have a bolt on hitch for everything except both models of the M3. They estimate 3-4 mos like the others. I will let you guys know how my weld on hitch goes for my 4-door.

My extended warranty(yes, I plan on doing nothing but a hitch to this car after my REX obsession) says any receiver capable of 2k lbs will void most motor warranty. Since the weld on is a 2k lb receiver but my trailer will only be capable of hauling 500lbs, I will leave trailer on if a problem needs to be looked at. So far, this Mazda seems bullet proof. Yet, I'm not dumping clutch or speed shifting either. Zoom Zoom(twisties!) Warranty also states hitch must be a mazda approved receiver. So, I will have my dealer(if needed a few other locals) decide before welding. Even then I would still like a lag bolt to ensure safety. If a NO is stated clearly, then I will then buy(again) a receiver that is bolt on. Having a bike and no way to haul it is killing me. I am not a truck/SUV driver!

If its warranty that you/ we are worried about (and rightfully so), maybe a group buy from Australia, for the true OEM recievers would be a good idea. The receivers weren't terribly expensive, but shipping might be high. Any thoughts?? I'm VERY hesitant to offer anything else for sale on this board due to prior reactions, but hey... Maybe we can get someone from Oz to help us out.
Jeff, Ohio

I just checked a prior EM from my Oz friend. The OEM hitch is A$227 (A= Australian). He gets 10% more for his help, so goes to A$250. Right now, $1US = A$1.45, so its only $US172.41 for the hitch and his commission. Of course the Aus government taxes it, also, but I'm not sure of the rate. Also, don't know what the shipping would be.
Not positive, but I imagine this is a bolt-on.
If there are any interested parties, lemme know via this board, or PM me. By the time you buy the weld-on, and pay to have it welded-on, you may actually come out cheaper with the Oz version.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back