CX-90 PHEV Tow Mode issue

I purchased the factory tow package for our PHEV Preferred (the hitch and complete harness). I also installed the optional Mazda brake controller package. Tow mode does not appear in the Mi Drive selector after hooking up a trailer, yet lights and brakes work on the trailer fine. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue. Any guidance would be helpful as the dealership is clueless as to how to troubleshoot.

According to the Mazda USA webpage, Tow mode is not available on the preferred trim.

You would have to check if the addition of the tow package was supposed to add it, but it is possible that the tow package only adds the hardware but does not change the driving modes.

1704027344032.png

Yes. That is where I turned first, then contacted Mazda customer support assuming that they would tell me since tow mode doesn't show as a option on the Preferred I should use Sport/Normal modes when towing. Their answer was since I got the factory tow package with the harness, that it should show tow mode. https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2024/cx-90/contents/67220100.html
This is what they referenced, yet they and I were still puzzled as to why it doesn't show up in the Mi-Drive.

Mazda manuals are pretty bad when it comes to model specific features, because they write a single manual with no reference to which vehicle trim as it or not. Also, is the referenced manual from a PHEV ? It looks like it is from the inline 6 version since i don’t see EV mode on the Mi-drive menu.

You can see on the Mi-Drive page refered in the link that it says (Towing mode) (Some models). This means that some models would not have it, but doesn’t really say which ones. Based on my experience with Mazda manual I would lean towards the preferred trim not having it. But it does also say that it only show up with a trailer connected and that it can takes time to show up. So maybe it is there and not showing up.

Hopefully someone else with the same trim as yours can chime in with their experience. It would be great if it would show up with the addition of the tow package.

1704221174856.png

i checked and the manual referenced is the wrong manual. But the PHEV manual says the same thing, so no harm done there.

i checked and the manual referenced is the wrong manual. But the PHEV manual says the same thing, so no harm done there.
Yeah. Just checked the PHEV manual and same info. There's no physical issues towing yet, but if I am supposed to have a feature for towing that would interfere with a weight distribution hitch or should be towing in a specific non tow mode Mi Drive setting it would be nice to know.

Tow mode is only on Preferred Plus and higher. Adding the hitch won't activate the option in the software.
Trailer Stability Control is part of the traction control system and operates separate from the Tow Mode drive setting

Tow mode is only on Preferred Plus and higher. Adding the hitch won't activate the option in the software.
Trailer Stability Control is part of the traction control system and operates separate from the Tow Mode drive setting
Yeah, I believe that even though I added the hitch and the harness from the factory order an not at the dealership. My issue is that the manual is incorrect for the PHEV preferred trim, and Mazda support says it should be there because of the factory harness. Finally leading to the question of OK if it's not supposed to be there what Mi drive mode am I supposed to tow in? Or does it not really matter what mode. The irony is there's no drivetrain difference in the trim levels to prevent them from adding it. Probably just software markup.

Back