Trading my 2013 For a 2014?

How do the taxes work? Would I just pay taxes on the difference? So let's say for estimates, I get 26,000 for my car and want to buy a car that is 29,000, the 3000 difference would be taxed at my local tax rate?

Not if you still owe money on your current CX-5.

Let's say you owe 24,500 on your current CX-5.
You buy a new one for $29k.
They give you $26k for your current CX-5.

The $24,500 payoff goes to the car, and you lose that money.
It would be like you made a $1500 down payment on your new car.
So you would be taxed on $27,500.

If your current CX-5 was fully paid off, then yes, you would only be paying taxes on the $3000 difference between the two vehicles.

If it were me, I would wait until the diesel was available, or closer to the end of the year when there are better incentives available on the 2.5 Touring you want.

BC.

Fortunately my car is fully paid off. I am only going to trade up if the hit isn't too large. It all depends on the two quotes. I am in no rush. However my car is due for service lol

Please excuse my ignorance but why is everybody so excited about a diesel CX-5? IMO diesel cars have loud engines.

Not if you still owe money on your current CX-5.

Let's say you owe 24,500 on your current CX-5.
You buy a new one for $29k.
They give you $26k for your current CX-5.

The $24,500 payoff goes to the car, and you lose that money.
It would be like you made a $1500 down payment on your new car.
So you would be taxed on $27,500.

If your current CX-5 was fully paid off, then yes, you would only be paying taxes on the $3000 difference between the two vehicles.

If it were me, I would wait until the diesel was available, or closer to the end of the year when there are better incentives available on the 2.5 Touring you want.

BC.

That is not how it works in any of the States that I have lived in. You simply pay taxes on the difference between the trade and the new car price. What you get from the trade-in goes toward the loan, if there is one. These are State taxes so the rules could vary from State to State.
John

^ Yes, varies state to state. In California sales tax is paid based on new car purchase price, trade is not factored in.

Looks like New York is exempt from sales tax when trading a vehicle, meaning I would only pay tax on the difference.

Please excuse my ignorance but why is everybody so excited about a diesel CX-5? IMO diesel cars have loud engines.
You will get better MPGs and the motor will last a lot longer. Neither of those arguments is enough to compensate for the louder motor, horrendous smell/emissions, and higher price per gallon, IMO.

Modern diesels are almost as quiet as gas engines these days and have very good emissions and have very flat power bands (which is less advantageous with modern transmissions with 6-10 gears). In any case, some people spend a lot of money on replacement exhausts for their gas engines that do nothing but make the engine sound louder and cost a lot of money up front.

Personally, I like my engines to do their work quietly - and modern diesels can achieve this.

Do you guys think it is worth it to trade up for the 14 for the engine, Pandora, no squeaks that I have now, tech package and a more desirable color? What would be your limit $ wise for the trade?

The SkyActiv-D is a very different diesel engine than what you are used to.
There is some clanking at idle but it is not very much different from a gas engine. When revved, it sounds more like a gas engine.
Furthermore, it is probably the only diesel engine to qualify for California emissions without after-treatment and no urea. With this, you get an incredible amount of torque and pretty high red-line for a diesel.
http://youtu.be/CM2yDg_2-f4?t=6s

Until late 2013 some owners had engine oil rise, caused by diesel diluting the oil. This is related to DPF filter cleanup cycle. It seems Mazda has addressed this issue, but this engine might not be suitable for predominantly short trips as a result of how this application of the DPF filter cleanup works.

Except for this, the diesel option might be an excellent choice. Based on reports from owners from Australia, I estimated 15% better MPG compared with the 2L engine. In my area, diesel prices are ~7% more expensive, so overall still better $ per gallon.

Purchase price premium for diesel in US market still TBD (how many thousands of dollars)...

Does manufacturing a diesel engine really cost them that much more than a gas one?

kia ronda/carens diesel, noisy yes like a bag of nails when idling but quietens down when up to speed. The cx-5 diesel is a low compression, it's very refined.

You should educate yourself instead of being ignorant on the subject.

Diesel engines in cars are considerably less noisy than they are in trucks.
They also, if not molested by the owner, don't smell bad, and don't put out big clouds of black smoke.

Unfortunately, most owners of diesel engined pickups can't seem to leave their vehicles alone, and MUST have their trucks spew out the black cloud of death from their Dirty Dodge Diesel Dumb Trucks, here in Colorado. I have literally watched owners of brand new diesel trucks, right after signing the papers, hook up the flash units, and remove the emissions equipment, just so that they can spew out the black cloud on their brand new trucks, with temp tags.

Anyway, the diesel engine in the CX-5 isn't a loud obnoxious diesel engine.
It also makes over 300 ft-lbs of torque, and will get 40+ mpg highway here in the US, when it arrives.

The real questions remaining are:

How much will Mazda charge us for it?
What trim level(s) will it be offered in?
Will Mazda allow US market owners to have one with a manual transmission? How about with AWD at the same time?

I can't wait to find out, but, alas, I have to.

BC.

Going to dealerships tomorrow. Will see what they offer, but I am pretty set on upgrading. I am also going to give the new 6 a good look!

Spoke to two dealerships, only offered me 21,500-22,000 for my '13 Touring AWD with Moonroof and added Navi with 5,200 miles. I thought this was very low. KBB lists mine in very good condition at 25000. A bit disappointed that I could not trade up. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I guess ill hang onto my '13 and get the issues fixed.

Last edited:
I know your car is paid for but if you would have been making payments the balance will be around there. Now, what kind of discount are you getting on the new car

Spoke to two dealerships, only offered me 21,500-22,000 for my '13 Touring AWD with Moonroof and added Navi with 5,200 miles. I thought this was very low. KBB lists mine in very good condition at 25000. A bit disappointed that I could not trade up. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I guess ill hang onto my '13 and get the issues fixed.

Keep it for another 2 years, sell it then if you're still wanting to upgrade. Way to big of a hit selling it now.

Back