Totally weird logic on the auto headlight and auto wiper functions

pdlpsher

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech & I-Active Sense
Today in Denver we have had rain all day. I was driving on the freeway in the morning and I noticed that my headlights were off despite the heavy rain and poor visibility. I checked the headlight setting and it was on 'Auto'. My wipers were working very hard and its setting was on 'Auto' too. Then it occurred to me that why wouldn't the headlight come on automatically whenever the wipers are on. Makes sense? Then I proceeded to turn the headlights on manually. Once the headlights were on my interior instrument and multimedia display backlight went out. This is about 10am in the morning so it's too bright to view the multimedia display without any backlighting. So then I had to manually turn on the instrument backlight. What a series of logic mistakes made by Mazda. Here's what I would suggest to Mazda.

- When the wipers are on the headlights should turn on automatically when the headlight is set to 'Auto'. The only exception would be when the driver is misting the windshield to wash off bugs.
- The instrument cluster backlight should be on full brightness during the hours between sunrise and sunset regardless of the on/off state of the headlights.
- When the headlights are on during the night the instrument cluster can be turned to a dimmed setting.

You make a good point. But the car does have DRLs for this reason.

Yes. On local roads it's fine. On the freeway the visibility is horrible with the water spray. Perhaps some states have laws that headlights/taillights must be on when the wipers are on? I seem to recall that.

Yes. I think NC has a law that requires headlights to be on when your windshield wipers are turned on, but a lot of states do not.

You can submit that to them and they will pass it on to whatever supplier actually makes the parts.

Yes. On local roads it's fine. On the freeway the visibility is horrible with the water spray. Perhaps some states have laws that headlights/taillights must be on when the wipers are on? I seem to recall that.

Yes. But DRL satisfy this requirement. PA is the same. I personally turn my light on, as I'm thinking you do too.

DRL does not satisfy the MN headlights-on-in-rain law because the taillights are not illuminated with just DRL.

When the wipers are on the headlights should turn on automatically when the headlight is set to 'Auto'.
Would that mean the headlights go on and off when the wipers are in auto setting too?

The instrument cluster backlight should be on full brightness during the hours between sunrise and sunset regardless of the on/off state of the headlights.
When the headlights are on during the night the instrument cluster can be turned to a dimmed setting.

Personally, I drive with the display on full brightness at night when I drive in town otherwise it is too dim for me to see clearly. So basing brightness by time of day would not be a good option. Also, time of day is not necessarily a good indicator of outside lighting conditions.

Yes. I think NC has a law that requires headlights to be on when your windshield wipers are turned on, but a lot of states do not.
California has this same law. So if the wipers are on, you are required to have your headlights on as well.

The problem with the dash lights being set to a time, rather than a lighting condition is what if it's mid-day but stormy and dark out? The only way for the system to deal with all conditions would be for it to compensate for time of day, lighting levels, wiper condition (on/off) all at the same time. Although, this does sound possible, I think the system would be very difficult to program and thus just become a pain to deal with. (just more junk to go wrong).

California has this same law. So if the wipers are on, you are required to have your headlights on as well.
Ditto in Oregon, sort of...

from http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/safety-laws.php
Oregon state law requires you to have your headlights turned on:

-From sunset to sunrise.
-Any time visibility is reduced to less than 1,000 feet.
-While it is not required by law, it is a good idea to have your headlights on whenever you need to have your windshield wipers on due to the weather.​

NJ has the same law and I have experienced the same issue at times. Not sure about the 2016's, but I just turn the trip meter stalk and full brightness returns to the nav screen. I have also experienced the auto night day changing when passing under trees or clouds! Additional sometimes the lights don't go off after the sun has been up a while in the mornings. Very quirky feature, some times good old fashion manual control is actually more efficient!

NJ has the same law and I have experienced the same issue at times. Not sure about the 2016's, but I just turn the trip meter stalk and full brightness returns to the nav screen. I have also experienced the auto night day changing when passing under trees or clouds! Additional sometimes the lights don't go off after the sun has been up a while in the mornings. Very quirky feature, some times good old fashion manual control is actually more efficient!

New York State requires headlights and tail lights to be on when the windshield wipers are on. This led to a most bizarre traffic stop I ever had. I was pulled over quite early one morning and the officer asked why I didn't have my headlights on. I didn't catch why he was asking and I answered Its day time, I can see. He looked frustrated and told me they needed to be on any time my windshield wipers were on. Still confused I answered OK but my windshield wipers are not on. Why Not! Because I can see. (There was a very light mist, about one step up from fog) Now clearly frustrated the officer looked at my windshield and saw that there were no marks from windshield wipers. He also noticed my inspection sticker and said Do you realize that your inspection expires today? I better not see you here tomorrow. Me. Yes, I have less then a block to go to get to my 7AM appointment for my inspection. He just walked away.

Sitting there waiting for my car and getting my caffeine I realized I was lucky he didn't put me in jail

New York State requires headlights and tail lights to be on when the windshield wipers are on. This led to a most bizarre traffic stop I ever had. I was pulled over quite early one morning and the officer asked why I didn't have my headlights on. I didn't catch why he was asking and I answered Its day time, I can see. He looked frustrated and told me they needed to be on any time my windshield wipers were on. Still confused I answered OK but my windshield wipers are not on. Why Not! Because I can see. (There was a very light mist, about one step up from fog) Now clearly frustrated the officer looked at my windshield and saw that there were no marks from windshield wipers. He also noticed my inspection sticker and said Do you realize that your inspection expires today? I better not see you here tomorrow. Me. Yes, I have less then a block to go to get to my 7AM appointment for my inspection. He just walked away.

Excellent story, I love it!

Sitting there waiting for my car and getting my caffeine I realized I was lucky he didn't put me in jail

I'm confused. What do you think the charge would have been?

Latest posts

Back