Torque App Issue?

i12drivemyMP5

<<<<<<< >>>>>>>
Contributor
:
-- 03 P5 / 23 CX-5 --
If our cars are OBDII the why won't the ELM 327 bluetooth OBDII reader talk to my P5 ecu? My autotap wired OBDII reader works just fine on the car but not the bluetooth. It works fine on my truck, wife's car & every other obdii car I've tried it on, just not the P5. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this setup out on our cars and had it work. The reader does all obdii protocols. Am I missing some simple setting? I've tried the ones in Torque that say something about using this if slow or no response. (dunno)

Mine works fine, make sure when you plug it in the lights come on, and I know it faces the wrong way so you'll have to climb under there to see it

Mine works fine for me... and I got a cheap one off eBay. I assume that the scanner is paired with your phone within Torque since you say you've successfully used it in other vehicles.

Make sure that it's getting power. The bluetooth->ELM327 adapter I got off ebay has a really crap connector that only works if it's 3/4 of the way plugged in.

Keep in mind that the "ELM327" chip found in almost all ebay adapters are knockoffs. I've written code to work with my bad ebay adapter using the API document provided by ELM electronics (the real manufacturer of the ELM327 chip) and I had to work around a lot of little bugs in the firmware of the device. It could simply be that the ELM327 knockoff you have is producing output that isn't understood by the torque app when it's plugged into your P5. I've seen this happen myself when testing on different cars, the output can change based on the type of car or type of communication bus.

Go back to ebay and throw down another $20 for a different-looking ELM327->bluetooth interface, hopefully you'll get lucky with that one :(

OK, I have the ELM327. I'm pretty sure it is the updated version...1.5. It is paired as it works fine with my truck and other people's cars too. Good to know it's supposed to work on our cars. I will futz around with it some more. It is getting power and lights are lighting up on it, I did look back there while it was plugged in. This is the unit I have.............

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Running torque app on my Casio Gzone Commando with 2.3 Gingerbread

Last edited:
OK, I have the ELM327. I'm pretty sure it is the updated version...1.5. It is paired as it works fine with my truck and other people's cars too. Good to know it's supposed to work on our cars. I will futz around with it some more. It is getting power and lights are lighting up on it, I did look back there while it was plugged in. This is the unit I have.............

See here: http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

Please note:
There is no ELM327 v1.4a, or v1.5, or v1.5a !
Some clone makers have introduced what they call a 'v1.4a', or
a 'v1.5', or a 'v1.5a' but Elm Electronics has never made one.

So it's most likely just really 1.4b or 1.3a? I may try a different one because it has acted goofy in other ways too.

So it's most likely just really 1.4b or 1.3a? I may try a different one because it has acted goofy in other ways too.

It's neither, I highly doubt the knock-offs are using the same code as the real ELM327. They just used the documentation provided by ELM electronics to develop their own version of the software that has a similar API. Chip makers do this kind of crap all the time, someone makes a good product with really good documentation then some sleazy company creates their own "close enough" version of the chip and sells it for half the cost. They can do this because they don't have to pay for very much R&D and the documentation is already written for them by the original company.

Running torque app on my Casio Gzone Commando with 2.3 Gingerbread

I have this very same one, i noticed when swapping from different vehicles it wont read, so what i did was basically redo the whole setup on any other car, for example, you would first have to force stop torque, not close the app, then turn your bluetooth off, plug the obdII reader into the p5, then turn on the bluetooth scan device, enter the code (1234) and pair, then start the torque app and it should work, this is what i did....hope it helps

I have this very same one, i noticed when swapping from different vehicles it wont read, so what i did was basically redo the whole setup on any other car, for example, you would first have to force stop torque, not close the app, then turn your bluetooth off, plug the obdII reader into the p5, then turn on the bluetooth scan device, enter the code (1234) and pair, then start the torque app and it should work, this is what i did....hope it helps
See, this is one of the weird things....it has never asked me for code to pr with the phone. I'll try it like you said after work tho.........

Yup, thats the same one I have, but the BT code was 6789... not sure why it would be different.

Yup, thats the same one I have, but the BT code was 6789... not sure why it would be different.

I have the same-looking one and the code is 1234, they vary based on where you get it from.

Fresco's idea about deleting the saved bluetooth pairing might actually work, as you can probably guess the bluetooth transceivers used in these devices aren't exactly of the best quality...

Bumping an old thread, but I got here by way of searching for solutions on this issue. For the benefit of others also searching for a solution, try this:

- I found plugging in ELM327 Mini Bluetooth OBDII adapter into vehicle after having bluetooth enabled and Torque app opened on phone. If I connected adapter before opening app or enabling bluetooth on Android device, it wouldnt' detect the adapter.
- Try editing the vehicle profile in Torque app, in the 'Very Advanced' option, enter the following custom configuration string:
ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8213F0 \n ATSP4 \n 0100

The above custom config string made things work well for my 1998 Mazda Protege SE. This config string was posted as a comment by Abdul Chachar on a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp2j3vl-kG4 and went on to mention vehicles made in Japan may have JOBD protocol.

Apologies for bumping a stale thread, but hoping this helps others if they encounter "no connection to ECU" issue with their knock-off ELM327 OBDII bluetooth adapter.

/BTV

I had to power off my other Bluetooth device on the car (a speakerphone) before pairing my Nexus 6 with the OBD II. With my old S3, I did not have to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back