Tom Tom Traffic Disappeared from Nav screen

snadboy

I used to have Traffic delays showing up on the right hand side of my TomTom navigation display and it is no longer there.

Is there a setting that turns this off and on?

I have looked under services and it lists the traffic notifications as being on and when stopped, I can check traffic conditions home to work and work to home, which gives audio information on delays, but there is no visual display.

If anyone has experienced this or knows how to turn it back on that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

I used to have Traffic delays showing up on the right hand side of my TomTom navigation display and it is no longer there.

Is there a setting that turns this off and on?

I have looked under services and it lists the traffic notifications as being on and when stopped, I can check traffic conditions home to work and work to home, which gives audio information on delays, but there is no visual display.

If anyone has experienced this or knows how to turn it back on that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

It's funny...I specifically came out to the forum this morning to ask a similar question....I was looking through my navigation system manual the other night and didn't realize I could get traffic information on my system. I went into Services, clicked Traffic, entered my Home/Work address info, etc. However, the manul refers to a traffic "sidebar" that is supposed to show on my main display and I don't ever see that. Do I have to have subscription to a traffic service in order for that sidebar to show up? I have only had my CX 5 for about a month and I don't think I have ever had that sidebar thing?

thats weird, mine was there from the beginning

have you guys done the most recent firmware update from tomtom?

I also have a more basic question...what type of traffic information does the NB1 support? Is this something I have to pay for? Maybe I missed something when I did the firmware update for the map.

no the traffic service is included, no subscription needed from what i could find

there was only a map update? not a system update?

thats weird, mine was there from the beginning

have you guys done the most recent firmware update from tomtom?

I had updated the software and maps about a month ago. I am thinking my wife may have turned it off.
(I remember if you tapped something on the screen like the traffic bar you had the option to turn it off)
She may have done it accidentally due to the slight delay of response from the nav from a previous selection.
She can't remember...

no the traffic service is included, no subscription needed from what i could find

there was only a map update? not a system update?

No, there was a system update as I well. I had it update everything it found when it searched for updates. Like snadboy, unless I did something wrong during the update, maybe there is just a setting that I hit by accident but I sure can't find anything in any of the menus.

If I remember correctly, there is an icon on the far right of the nav screen and that will pull out the traffic bar (a waving blk/wht flag that is transparent).

Maybe try (from the Nav Manual):

You can check for updates for your maps, services and for a whole range of other free items
or items for purchase. The instructions below describe how to update the TomTom application
on your device.
To check for an updated application version do the following:
1. Insert your MAP SD card into the card reader connected to your computer.
2. Wait for TomTom HOME to start.
3. If HOME does not automatically check for updates, click Update my device in the HOME
menu. Note: if you would like to install an application you downloaded previously, click Add
Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. > Items on my computer.

4. If a new application is available, it is listed on the next screen.
5. Make sure the new application is selected, then click Download updates.
HOME downloads the selected items...
6. HOME then installs the selected items on your MAP SD card.
7. Click Done.
8. Click Device > Disconnect Device in the HOME menu. You can then disconnect your card
from your computer.

clicking on 'add traffic' as katmar suggested or anything in tomtom home software didn't do anything for me in my situation. i'm not sure if everyone has the same thing going on in preventing the traffic conditions from showing.

i've gone through the tomtom site a few weeks back and looked at the traffic sidebar and realtime traffic documentations. when you click on the sidebar, it's supposed to go into a settings menu. sometimes it doesn't work or you have to click the far right edge of the screen. but, if you dig around in the settings somewhere there's an alternative way to the same settings menu.

in there they have an option to change traffic frequencies. i've never touched those settings before or seen it prior... so i can't say whether the channel changed or what happened to alter traffic for me. i dug around on the web a bit and found info for my region by clear channel. navteq has a similar service i hear but clear channel had more choices in my area:
http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

in my case, the frequency was already pre-set at 88.1 fm but i could not find any information regarding traffic data coming from such a frequency. so, i picked a different frequency in my area and didn't see any immediate difference.

i read somewhere that if it cannot find data in that frequency, the navigation is supposed to flip around until it finds a suitable frequency automatically. however, i don't know how reliable or fast that behind-the-scenes action is since it's supposed to be transparent to the user/driver, who cannot see the details or status of it. it could have been stuck at 88.1 receiving nothing.

this issue left my mind after that, but a few weeks later i noticed i'm receiving traffic data again. it's traffic data, but doesn't seem like it was before. any difference why that is could just be psychological or maybe actual, but since i wasn't paying attention at the time it originally worked, it's tough to say.

so, i would suggest to pick a frequency for your area and wait a bit to see if something happens. if it doesn't then change to another channel and go from there.

this realtime traffic seems so casually passive in implementation, not seeing all the nooks and crannies of traffic data retrieval.

On a related note, does anyone know how to turn Traffic OFF?
as a possible workaround, try switching to a non-working frequency. let us know if that works or if the nav system auto-changes until it finds a working one.

edited for clarification.
tomtom nb-1 has two versions: the live version and the non-live version.

with the live version, overseas owners are able to subscribe to traffic services, weather forecasts and other information in addition to an rds-tmc option -if the country or region supports such a service.

in the u.s. and perhaps canada, our nav systems are non-live versions(unfortunately) - so, no live subscription option. we only receive data via radio frequency. the underlying tech is rds-tmc, which i assume this discussion involves.

Last edited:
I know that if you don't have a destination set then the traffic bar won't show up (if you're only driving around in map view). The only other reason is you're not tuned into the proper frequency (but the bar should still be there, your just not getting any traffic details).

I somehow "fixed" it. I don't know which solved it or it was a combination of things. 1st I opened and closed the SD slot cover for the TomTom. I then went into services and selected traffic. Several options were greyed out. I exited out and then re-entered again and then I had the ability to select Traffic from the upper right. It worked for a bit then went away again.

Next I powered off removed the card and replaced the card and repeated the same above procedures. This time the traffic notification now stays on all the time.

Hey guys, I had posted on this topic a few months ago when I was having issues getting traffic to show up. After I had installed my free map update and all the other TomTom updates on my SD card, my traffic functionality had come back. Well, sad to report that I noticed over the last couple of days that the sidebar is gone again (without changing anything on my GPS). Tried setting a route from work to home and that didn't work either. Really strange. I guess I can try changing the radio frequency but it was working with the default before and I would assume I would still see the sidebar. The traffic settings are greyed out under Services for whatever reason.

I had that one time and just inserted the SD card in my computer to check for updates. There was something, I can't recall what, but when I put it back in the car the traffic was back. I haven't lost it again, yet.

Hey guys, I had posted on this topic a few months ago when I was having issues getting traffic to show up. After I had installed my free map update and all the other TomTom updates on my SD card, my traffic functionality had come back. Well, sad to report that I noticed over the last couple of days that the sidebar is gone again (without changing anything on my GPS). Tried setting a route from work to home and that didn't work either. Really strange. I guess I can try changing the radio frequency but it was working with the default before and I would assume I would still see the sidebar. The traffic settings are greyed out under Services for whatever reason.

Maybe you are on the fringe of your traffic station, do you live in a rural area? Does it come back when near the station?

Latest posts

Back