Tokico HP Install Help

Onatrum

:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
I plan on upgrading the struts in the spring, but I thought I'd ask now if anybody has the experience/tools to do this? My college budget is very limited, so I'm looking for "cheap" labor in the Ohio or nearby surrounding states. Obviously, I'd be willing to pay for help if needs be, but I'm really look'n to save as much money as possible...anybody do it for dinner or a case of beer??? (thumb) Just play'n, but please let me know if anybody can assist at all, thanks in advance!

Air Gun (Impact) would help for the top bolts... Asside from that it's real plain.

Make sure the paint Dots on the top of the strut go back into the car the same place.

Onatrum said:
I plan on upgrading the struts in the spring, but I thought I'd ask now if anybody has the experience/tools to do this? My college budget is very limited, so I'm looking for "cheap" labor in the Ohio or nearby surrounding states. Obviously, I'd be willing to pay for help if needs be, but I'm really look'n to save as much money as possible...anybody do it for dinner or a case of beer??? (thumb) Just play'n, but please let me know if anybody can assist at all, thanks in advance!

if you wanna come up to cleveland i can help.

if you are getting the adjustables, make sure you use a deep well socket on the top nut or you'll **** up the dial for adjusting the shock

Shawn,

Ive got a compressor and tools, i can hook you up. I did this upgrade last April.. Please, PLEASE WD-40 the Endlink bolts, they are a biatch!!!.
Onatrum said:

I'm actually willing to travel if I have to so I'll go anywhere in Ohio really. And since this isn't til the spring, maybe this could turn into a spring meet/install day...others can come with things to do to their car or if they're like me, learn a thing or two about installing struts.

For those willing to help, it'll probably during Ohio State's spring break, which is in mid-March.

And these won't be adjustables, just the HP...blues...I think thats what they're called.

Centless, do you have all these tools here in Columbus? Columbus is pretty central location if we decide to make a meet out of this. Plus (obviously) I live here (2thumbs)

Last edited:
yeah, the tools fly between Columbus and Wheeling, WV constantly. I can load them in the car with no problem. The compressor is a 30 Gallon. I have the 250lbs impact, torque wrench and all kinda sockets and crap. So no biggy on that.
They are the Tokico Blues, its the same thing i have, you will like it once its installed, esspecially with the Tein springs. It took me about 6-8 hours to install all four, about 2 hours was dancing with the freking endlink bolts, which eventually two had to be cut off..

Take care
-Denham
Onatrum said:
I'm actually willing to travel if I have to so I'll go anywhere in Ohio really. And since this isn't til the spring, maybe this could turn into a spring meet/install day...others can come with things to do to their car or if they're like me, learn a thing or two about installing struts.

For those willing to help, it'll probably during Ohio State's spring break, which is in mid-March.

And these won't be adjustables, just the HP...blues...I think thats what they're called.

Centless, do you have all these tools here in Columbus? Columbus is pretty central location if we decide to make a meet out of this.

I say just get new endlinks now and don't worry about the old ones when you have to cut them. You can wd-40 them or PB Blast them all you want, it won't do s***.

cbcbd said:
I say just get new endlinks now and don't worry about the old ones when you have to cut them. You can wd-40 them or PB Blast them all you want, it won't do s***.
well yeah, thats the most painless way to go. by wd-40 them i managed to break two loose, but, the other two just kept rotating, so the good ole' cut off tool was employed. Endlinks are about 35 a piece from the stealership, isn't it?

centsless said:
well yeah, thats the most painless way to go. by wd-40 them i managed to break two loose, but, the other two just kept rotating, so the good ole' cut off tool was employed. Endlinks are about 35 a piece from the stealership, isn't it?

are the end links from awr? Or am I thinking of something else...I've swear I read that somewhere. but then again, I don't race or autocross, so no real need for these things I guess.

Onatrum said:
are the end links from awr? Or am I thinking of something else...I've swear I read that somewhere. but then again, I don't race or autocross, so no real need for these things I guess.
you can get them from AWR, i think they have the standard and the fully adjustable ones so that you can set your preload. If you are not going to do anything like that, you might as well replace them with the stockers, thats only if removing them becomes a challenge. (which sadly is going to be).

Oh man... worst job I have ever done on a car. I had to replace all 4 of my endlinks :(. It took me roughly 2 days to do it myself. :( DEFINATLY get an impact wrench.

I have installed springs on 3 MSP's now so it cant be much different hehe. I will be up for helping, and yes it would make a good idea for a spring meet :)

oh yeah I have the AWR adjustable rear endlinks and they drive me nuts, always making noise. I need to get the spacers for them hehe. I bought them used and they didnt come with them..

Last edited:
MSPRO said:
I have installed springs on 3 MSP's now so it cant be much different hehe. I will be up for helping, and yes it would make a good idea for a spring meet :)

oh yeah I have the AWR adjustable rear endlinks and they drive me nuts, always making noise. I need to get the spacers for them hehe. I bought them used and they didnt come with them..

Okay, so I have to admit that I really don't know what these endlinks are that everyone keeps talking about. I'd like to take a good look at my future enemy so I get a good idea of what to expect. Anybody got a pic or point me in the right direction? I'll take a look when all this snow melts! :)

Onatrum said:
Okay, so I have to admit that I really don't know what these endlinks are that everyone keeps talking about. I'd like to take a good look at my future enemy so I get a good idea of what to expect. Anybody got a pic or point me in the right direction? I'll take a look when all this snow melts! :)

little metal bar that connects the sway bar (the bar that braces the bottom of the car) to the struts. i'm sure theres pics on here somewhere...hang on a second, i'll find them.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10111

that shows one for the rear.

Last edited:
iv done the MSP shocks and springs on my p5, and now im running stock p5 shocks and skunk2 coilovers... the MSP tokico blues had a longer shock tube and thus wount lower to much without riding on the bump stops.. so now my stock p5 shocks and the coilovers... you will be removing all of the plastic interior in the back that covers the sides, so if you have subs,amps, junk,etc, its a good idea to go ahead and remove it the day before.. if the endlinks are hard to remove, first unbolt the bar from the car this will take alot of tension of the bolts, makeing it easyer to remove the bolts, and removing the nut from the bolt is a problem, thers and allen key that will fit in the bolt that will alow you to hold it still so that you may loosen the nut.. that dosnt always work, so try vise grips and box/ratching wrench.. if this fails you will be cutting the endlinks most likely..
MOST IMPORTANTLY>> a week before the work is to take place spray everything that will be removed down in PB blaster every day.. this will greatly help you in removing nuts and bolts and ALWAYS antisize every bolt when installing,, this will help you in the long run from headaches and broken bolts if things should ever need removed changed or fixed..

Thanks for all the great advice so far! I'll be sure to remove all the audio stuff ahead of time and tear apart the car. It already looks like crap anyway with no side skirts and interior piece's missing so I can paint them lol But this sounds like a great learning experience!! I can't wait to curse at these infamous endlinks...

ive done and my suspension 3 times and no trouble with my endlinks. did another p5 twice and no trouble with her endlinks either. took the bar off a 2001 pro and no trouble his his endlinks either.

mp5smuggler said:
ive done and my suspension 3 times and no trouble with my endlinks. did another p5 twice and no trouble with her endlinks either. took the bar off a 2001 pro and no trouble his his endlinks either.

your also not in rust bucket ohio...

Back