Tire recommendations?

Quiksilver05

:
Mazdaspeed3
35k and my stock tires are ready to go!! Can anyone recommend any good tires or at least better than stock?? (killit) I have some 18x8 Rota Torques at the moment and need some advice....Thanks!! (rei)

sumitomo htr z3's. I'm sure there are better tires out there, but I feel that they're better than stock and I got em at $111 a peice.

I have Goodyear Eagle GT's. Can deff. take more wear and tear and have more grip in my opinion. I would recommend them for sure!

How'd you manage that many miles out of the stock tires?
I'm not even going to get 17K out of mine. They have some tread left but not enough to make them safe in the rain and the wear bars are nearly showing.
No more Bridgestones for me.

Consumer Reports rated UHP summer tires:
1. Goodyear EagleF1 Asymmetric
2. Dunlop SP Sportmax GT
3. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
4. Continental Extreme Contact DW
5. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

I'd compare these to what Tire Rack has to say about them and maybe use that as a guide as well.

That's an all season.
Are those really sticky enough for you?
Personally going to run a summer tire, not an AS as this car needs all the stick it can get.
Plus I have winter tires for it anyway.

How'd you manage that many miles out of the stock tires?
I'm not even going to get 17K out of mine. They have some tread left but not enough to make them safe in the rain and the wear bars are nearly showing.
No more Bridgestones for me.

Consumer Reports rated UHP summer tires:
1. Goodyear EagleF1 Asymmetric
2. Dunlop SP Sportmax GT
3. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
4. Continental Extreme Contact DW
5. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

I'd compare these to what Tire Rack has to say about them and maybe use that as a guide as well.

Not sure how I lasted that long on stocks but I did rotate the tires almost every oil change so that might of helped

Not sure how I lasted that long on stocks but I did rotate the tires almost every oil change so that might of helped

The way it worked for me is I suddenly noticed the fronts were really worn at about 7k miles. I was shocked how bad they were. The back looked like new so I swapped them up front and they've been there ever since. They are continuing to wear out back while the fronts are now rapidly wearing down. The tires spin at WOT at the top of second easily and I have recently noticed dramatically reduced cornering speed. If the roads are wet, I have to be extra careful too. Backs are really bad now and all the way down to the wear bars.

I am leaning toward the Goodyears for their performance rating and because they're made in USA but have considered the Hankook and even the Direzza star spec since I suspect almost any summer tire is going to grind off relatively rapidly with this car anyway. It's a tough decision because you have to realize you can't have your cake and eat it too. A really sticky tire is going to wear fast no matter what the wear rating. None of the high performance tires get good ratings for wear. It's either bad or really bad, or don't even bother worrying about it.

The all season tire should wear much better, but I wouldn't expect it to perform the same way either.
It's all about your priorities.

I have toyo proxe 4's on mine for all year (dont have money for winter tires). I have about 4000 or so miles on em and i like em so far. Cost at belle tire for me was like $605 out the door

I am leaning toward the Goodyears for their performance rating and because they're made in USA but have considered the Hankook and even the Direzza star spec since I suspect almost any summer tire is going to grind off relatively rapidly with this car anyway.
Actually, the Goodyears are probably not made in the USA. I was at Discount Tire today waiting on a wheel balance, and to kill time I went around to all of their tires on display and looked at the "MADE IN..." stamp. Almost every tire, including many of the Goodyears, was made outside the US. IIRC, I did find one low-end passenger tire from Goodyear that was made in the USA, and one tire from "Arizonian" (never heard of them).

I got 26,00 miles out of the original tires then switched to Kuhmo ECSTA ASX's in a 225/40/18 and love them. They are nice and quiet on the highway and still perform well in the turns.

Actually, the Goodyears are probably not made in the USA. I was at Discount Tire today waiting on a wheel balance, and to kill time I went around to all of their tires on display and looked at the "MADE IN..." stamp. Almost every tire, including many of the Goodyears, was made outside the US. IIRC, I did find one low-end passenger tire from Goodyear that was made in the USA, and one tire from "Arizonian" (never heard of them).

Arizonian?
LOL!

Dude you're so right. Looks like Goodyears are made all over the world including the USA.
At least it's a USA owned company but honestly I guess if that were a big deal to me, I would be driving a domestic and not a Mazda.

So if Goodyear makes one of the best tires and the price is right, I'll buy one based on those criteria, and not where it's made.
I won't buy a Korean tire or Chinese though.

I am considering the Continental brand right now. This is a German owned company.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=34YR8ECDWXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

My thoughts are, of those three, the Yokohama doesn't really compare. By that I mean it's a higher performance, quicker wearing, more sticky tire than the other two. What are your criteria in looking for a new tire?

Ok I narrowed it down to Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08, or Hankook Ventus V12 evo

For the price it's tough to beat the Evo's. Great wet and dry traction, decent tread life, and fairly quiet. I'm at 12K on mine and they're still running great with the recent rainstorms we've had. Highly recommended.

DT has them for 123 per corner (before $60 rebate) and you can get them price matched w/tax included at the nearest America's Tire shop. They'll just add another $10-12 per corner for installation/disposal:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...nter=1&ar=45&rd=18&vid=015311&sw=false&cs=215

Back