Tire Question

Nic-P5

:
2002 Protege 5 & 2010 3 iTouring
I have a 2010 3 iTouring with factory Bridgestone Turanza tires that are starting to cup on the insides of both left side tires. I have 40K mostly highway miles and there is still enough tread left for another 15k+ miles but the noise and vibration is not going to allow me to get many more miles from these tires. My question is this common with these cheap factory tires as i have not encountered any thing that would have caused an alignment issue. Thanks for any input...

How has the alignment turned up?
Just because it's a new car doesn't necessarily mean that the alignment is still good. It can be thrown off due to any bump in the road hit the wrong way.
Also, Turanzas aren't the cheapest tires out there for sure. Esp if they're the Serenitys.
But have you had an alignment done or checked?

Ive had 3 3's in my life and 3 5's, rotate the crap out of the tires, even with good alignments the inside of the rears will cup on you if you dont rotate as the negative camber takes its toll. Find an oil change place that rotates free and rotate them on every oil change. PS a cheap tire I highly recommend for performance AND winter snow driving is this tire

http://www.belletire.com/TireDetail.aspx?id=106429

This is my third Mazda, they are tough on tires. My 2007 is on it's third set -- headed for it's fourth. Make sure you rotate them every 3,000 to 5,000 miles and get wheel alignments regularly ... the tires last longer that way.

After shredding through a set of Toyo Proxes and a set of Toyo Proxes 4's, I finally settled on these: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/energy-mxv4-plus-tires? and they have lasted the longest for me.

Last edited:

I have had no cupping issues w/my '04, but inside rear wear, yes.
W/only 65k on my car I am on my 4th set of tires. I burned through the first 3 sets in 57k miles.
This last set seems to be wearing much better, but not w/o some modification to the car. Four words: Adjustable Upper Camber Links/arms.
Spend the +/-$170 on them, have them installed and the car aligned with your next set of tires. Have the shop set the camber @ -1* and the toe @ zero".

I am currently running Continental DWS series tires and love 'em, as long as I keep pressures @ 38F/35R. Best traction I've had in this car. And the first time I made it to work in the snow too.

Back