2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

The feature of this TPMS Pressure By Location Display says “when tire is in an abnormal situation, you won't be able to identify which tire needs maintenance with your OEM TPMS. Installing TPMS display which works with OEM TPMS, you can see tire temperature and pressure by location.” However what the learning procedure is, the device can figure out the location of each TPMS pressure sensor.

I used my crap Chinese translation filter on the sentence beginning "When tire is in an abnormal situation" to mean that, when it doesn't work on its own (because its not designed to), don't worry, you can still train it.

I wouldn't read that literally. The reviewer's experience seems to indicate training is required. I don't think he had his TPMS sensors in the trunk.

I used my crap Chinese translation filter on the sentence beginning "When tire is in an abnormal situation" to mean that, when it doesn't work on its own (because its not designed to), don't worry, you can still train it.

I wouldn't read that literally. The reviewer's experience seems to indicate training is required. I don't think he had his TPMS sensors in the trunk.

I wasn't inclined to muck around with the tires in the cold weather we have in Canada at a gas station. There is no simple way of any system to know where the tires are located without being told or trained. On a direct sensing system, to have that information would require additional smarts in each wheelwell to determine what's attached there. Its not likely any manufacturer would do that unless it's a very expensive car.

You should check your tires manually anyway. I discovered my tires were all at 31psi. The TPMS wouldn’t pick that up and it didn’t. Now they are at 36.

Using an OBDLink MX Bluetooth and Forscan, I was not able to get tire pressure readings. They're listed as available but always show 0 PSI (temperature also doesn't display). The only advantage over stock with that setup is that it gives you the status of each tire individually instead of a single warning light, but no raw numbers.

As an aside, I also poked around looking for Cylinder Deactivation data and couldn't find it.

It's possible there are different PIDs in my 2018 CX-5 than what was available.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

I wasn't inclined to muck around with the tires in the cold weather we have in Canada at a gas station. There is no simple way of any system to know where the tires are located without being told or trained. On a direct sensing system, to have that information would require additional smarts in each wheelwell to determine what's attached there. Its not likely any manufacturer would do that unless it's a very expensive car.
2 out of top 3 best selling compact CUVs use direct-read TPMS and show each tire pressure by exact location. Toyota RAV4 uses direct-read TPMS but took away a similar graph showing pressure on each tire from previous gen like Rogue and CR-V, but whenever the TPMS light is on a text message will show which tire caused the warning.

It's easy to decide the location of each TPMS pressure sensor which has a unique ID and show the discrete position on a graphic display. Chrysler system positioned 3 receivers in the whee-well area to pickup TPMS pressure sensor signal. With dedicated receiver position and unique IDs, TPMS has the information to decide the exact location of pressure sensor in each tire.

Both 2nd-gen Mazda CX-5 and CX-9 changed to more expensive direct-read TPMS system. But Mazda failed to provide any direct-read tire-pressure display capabilities like Nissan Rogue in instrumental cluster or Honda CR-V in its HondaLink phone app. Thiss something puzzles me why Mazda changed to direct-read TPMS with added cost but didnt untilize its features like everybody else? Its simply a waste of money for both the manufacture and consumers!

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

Am_4AEqrloc5cLIxlIOEEsIXAhJr6XFlvnt-U3p3yESvcja7MQLneH0JSn6oJ6LYeQ=h310

Not really. If you can simply see the tire pressures displayed on your instrument cluster or infotainment screen, why bother to check the tire pressure "manually"? ;)

It's just good practice. Perhaps not as often, but should still verify manually on occasion that the readings actually match.

You should check your tires manually anyway. I discovered my tires were all at 31psi. The TPMS wouldnt pick that up and it didnt. Now they are at 36.
Not really. If you can simply see the tire pressures displayed on your instrument cluster or infotainment screen whenever you like, why bother to check the tire pressure "manually" especially in very cold weather? ;)

Although taking out the spare tire and checking its pressure is pain in the ass on CX-5 but we have to do it from time to time especially before the long road trip. Very few vehicles have TPMS pressure sensor in the spare unless it's a full-sized spare tire.

New and expensive direct-read TPMS on Gen-2 CX-5 performs just like old and cheaper indirect-read TPMS on Gen-1 CX-5. It can't catch tire pressure changes due to sensonal changes. It can't catch over-inflated tires from factory. It can't tell us which tire is the culprit when TPMS warning light is on. Why bother? (uhm)

Plus are you going to get in and check on the dash as you’re trying to adjust? Seems a lot more cumbersome than just using a needle gauge with bleeder valve. Jus a my $0.02

It's just good practice. Perhaps not as often, but should still verify manually on occasion that the readings actually match.
Yes if we had this feature on CX-5 showing tire pressures with discrete position on a graphic display, manual tire pressure check is only needed occasionally just to verify.

Plus are you going to get in and check on the dash as you’re trying to adjust? Seems a lot more cumbersome than just using a needle gauge with bleeder valve. Jus a my $0.02

I never said that in the least.

Not really. If you can simply see the tire pressures displayed on your instrument cluster or infotainment screen whenever you like, why bother to check the tire pressure "manually" especially in very cold weather? ;)

Although taking out the spare tire and checking its pressure is pain in the ass on CX-5 but we have to do it from time to time especially before the long road trip. Very few vehicles have TPMS pressure sensor in the spare unless it's a full-sized spare tire.

New and expensive direct-read TPMS on Gen-2 CX-5 performs just like old and cheaper indirect-read TPMS on Gen-1 CX-5. It can't catch tire pressure changes due to sensonal changes. It can't catch over-inflated tires from factory. It can't tell us which tire is the culprit when TPMS warning light is on. Why bother? (uhm)

This has been gone over so many times here. There is no use telling us why other cars have a advanced system. The CX5 does not. It is what it is. The current system is good for flat tires if the driver doesn’t know they have one.

Just like the oil pressure idiot light. Generally when it comes on, your engine is already toast. Some cars have electronic dipsticks. I prefer to pull mine myself to check.

It’s a generational thing I think

Plus are you going to get in and check on the dash as youre trying to adjust? Seems a lot more cumbersome than just using a needle gauge with bleeder valve. Jus a my $0.02
No, it should be a reverse process. You check the tire pressures on dash first and see if they're all within range. If any of them is out of range, you then go out adjusting the tire pressure accordingly with your digital tire pressure gauge. You definitely don't go back and forth checking the tire pressures on dash while adjusting the tire pressure. Besides, most TPMS pressure sensors won't be sending any signals unless the tire is rolling to save battery. Direct-read TPMS usually needs a few minutes of learning process to update the information if the system has noticed any changes.

I personally don't prefer direct-read TPMS due to its added cost. But if Mazda has decided to go this route, why didn't they try to fully use its potentials? It will promote drivers checking tire pressure more often if he/she can conveniently do it on all 4 road tires simultaneously with a push of a button. This should improve the safety greatly for all of us. How many people want to check tire pressure "manually" out in the cold winter weather? But that's the most needed time to check as the tire pressure most likely will be low due to the lower temperature.

So I researched this and it sounds like industry had initially gone to direct read when the early gen abs/indirect systems were not good enough to meet regs. Then it seems around 2011ish a better indirect system was developed (better software and processing basically) that was sufficient to meeting regs and a few larger auto makers switched (VW/Audi, Honda, Mazda to name a few). Not sure why Mazda is now going back to direct which costs more while not taking advantage of it in anyway over what they could already do with indirect. VW/Audi setup will tell you which tire is off (just not actual psi) and alert with any number including all tires being off. So it’s definitely possible for Mazda to do the same if they wanted too.

So I researched this and it sounds like industry had initially gone to direct read when the early gen abs/indirect systems were not good enough to meet regs. Then it seems around 2011ish a better indirect system was developed (better software and processing basically) that was sufficient to meeting regs and a few larger auto makers switched (VW/Audi, Honda, Mazda to name a few). Not sure why Mazda is now going back to direct which costs more while not taking advantage of it in anyway over what they could already do with indirect. VW/Audi setup will tell you which tire is off (just not actual psi) and alert with any number including all tires being off. So it’s definitely possible for Mazda to do the same if they wanted too.

My guess is because it didn't behave the way people wanted if they didn't follow the directions and do the reset when required.

The new, direct read, requires no training or reset.

I'd prefer, discrete, direct read by position, but that would be more expensive to deliver and/or require training and intervention - so I can also understand why Mazda didn't do it that way.

Here's why - I was surprised to find today, in dealership a walk in with a complaint:
"I have a new light showing up in dashboard"
"Ok"
"Your tire pressure is low, Sir"
"That'll be $20. Have a nice day. We had to reset the pressure for you. Also, you might want to avail the on-going offer 4 tires for 3. This is the 2nd. time your pressure went down. Its not normal, within 3 months"

Dealer said to Mazda Corp: Please help us make a little bit of $$.

My guess is because it didn't behave the way people wanted if they didn't follow the directions and do the reset when required.

The new, direct read, requires no training or reset.

I'd prefer, discrete, direct read by position, but that would be more expensive to deliver and/or require training and intervention - so I can also understand why Mazda didn't do it that way.

It's sad that so many things are designed for the lowest common denominator, the clueless ones.

You should check your tires manually anyway. I discovered my tires were all at 31psi. The TPMS wouldnt pick that up and it didnt. Now they are at 36.

TRUE.
My car was delivered from the dealer with 31 psi all around [no doubt to make the test drive feel cushier].
When I raised pressure to 35, the ride improved [I prefer it firmer], resistance to crosswinds increased, and gas mileage increased slightly [maybe it was just breaking in!].
But there is no doubt that I could feel a significant difference from an only 4 psi increase.

Back