Tire pressure gauge

:
2023 CX-5S Select
I've looked around the forum and may have missed the info, if it exists. Looking for suggestions for an accurate tire gauge. My warning light came on in my 2010 Sport. Part cold, part not checking. I have doubts about my cheap pencil type gauge. Since I expect to keep a better eye on my tires, I want something accurate and durable. Digital or analog ?
Thanks.

The best gauges are usually the round dial type gauges that sell for $30 at auto parts stores. I heard the digital ones to be decent as well, better than the pencil type gauges, but I'm not sure. I use a pencil type gauge myself, cheap bastard. lol.

I have been most happy with the latest digital ones, they seem to be accurate and consistent. I have a digital one I use most, but also have dial, and pencil ones as well. Pencil gauges are decent if you can find one that has an appropriate scale. The analog dial type gauges are nice too, however, I relish the ability to balance and dial all my tires to within a 0.2 psi increment as I can with the digital gauges.

Thanks for the reminder, as with the temp dropping, we ALL need to check, and add air to our tires.

The rule of thumb for tire temp vs. psi change = ~1psi for every ~10 degrees F of ambient temp.

Last edited:
Most pencil gauges you see suck. They weigh about 2 oz and are going to be 5-10% off. If you can find a good 5-6 oz pencil gauge, (usually go up to over 120 psi) then you are in business. They are going to cost $10-$12 at least, but if you don't knock them around, they won't get out of calibration like the dial-types will.

Back