Tire flat spots with long term storage?

RockerPro5

:
Midnight Blue Protege 5
I've gone through the numerous tire threads and could not find anything regarding this possible issue of flat spots.

A while back when I was looking for a P5, I test drove one that had a new set of (stock size) Falken tires (don't remember the series) and the owner said it had sat for a while. So when I took it for a test drive and it had horrible vibrations from all corners at highway speeds, and the owner claimed that it didn't do that when they had just gotten the tires prior to letting it sit there.

A friend of mine had this issue when he stored his Porsche over the winter (he now puts it on jack stands when in storage, good set of Pirelli's wasted).

I plan on getting a new set of (stock size) Toyo Proxies 4, or perhaps something else, and I was wondering if anyone had this issue with a certain brand of tire because they let their car sit too long?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just sounds like dry rot to me...I had that happen to a set of tires sitting for a while in the shed once...

I know with truck tires they tend to do that. It got worse teh higher the ply of titer However they smoothed out when the tires got warm.

Also dont waste your money on those toyos! Those were the worse tires I've ever owned. I'vehad bald tires that road better in the rain then those things.

any tire if it sits long enough will get a flat spot, how old the tire is and the amount of air will also determine how bad/fast the flat spot sets in. And don't waste your time with the Toyo's. Falken, Nitto, BF Goodrich look in that direction

yup let it sit too long and you'll get flat spots no matter what tires you get... thats why they store tires on there sides.... and i agree with not getting Toyo's high price tires and they don't last too long and suck in the rain especially when there wearing down.

i went through 6 toyo's and finally decided to try a different brand... any brand that has z-rated tires should be fine... its not like your constantly driving at 100MPH

Like everybody else said if you let your tires sit to long they will get flat spots. I had this happen on my Integra and which had 195/55/R15 on it. Definitely do not get Proxes 4 tires. On my P5 I had them on the front and I recently put them in the back and moved the Kumho ASX up front. The Proxes 4 are not that great in the rain.

Ouch.....I bought my car 2 months ago & it has a brand new set of Toyo Proxes 4's on it. Sounds like nobody liked them! I have no complaints so far but I have no other reference point besides the Proxes either.

OK, I might not get the Toyo's but on the majority of the threads I read, they got decent reviews... I'm still on the stock Dumflops btw... (headshake

I don't plan on driving much during the winter, but just in case I need to, I want some good all season tires that can handle a little snow.

I was considering the Michelin Pilot series, or some Falken's. The Toyo Proxies 4 seem to be available so that's why I was leaning towards them (in addition to many positive reviews).

EDIT: I'm not an agressive driver, (at least not with today's gas prices).

Last edited:
honestly the toyo tires are ok but if you drive aggressive then you might want to look else where. Would I buy then again nope

Damn. There's been lots of hating on the Proxes4's lately. I loved mine for the 50,000 km that I had them. They never hydroplaned and had a great balance of ride/handling.

Damn. There's been lots of hating on the Proxes4's lately. I loved mine for the 50,000 km that I had them. They never hydroplaned and had a great balance of ride/handling.

Did you use them in any type of snow? If I was able to manage a winter with the Dunlops on 4/32nd of tread I'm sure the Proxies will do :)

I had the misfortune of driving them in snow once. They were TERRIBLE. Seriously, if you plan on driving your summer tires in the winter, get something with a more "knobby" tread. Like the BFG Traction T/A.

Back