Tinted tail lights, how to?

JokerFMJ

Hey, y'all. A while back I found a how to to tint the tail lights like this:

TintedTail.jpg

Does anyone have any idea where that how to is?

Thanks...

Same way i did mine. If u notice on the tails that there is a small indention like a scratch that follows the outline of the circles. Just tape that off and then use a can of niteshades to smoke it to the tint u like. I did 3 coast on mine.

100_5589.gif

100_5571.gif

Last edited:
wow that looks perfect dude!!! i was going to tint the whole tail lamp assembly itself but i might just do it this way now instead.

Only if you sand it off. You might be able to pull it off with some black vinyl.

Only if you sand it off. You might be able to pull it off with some black vinyl.

Did you do the whole process of scratching it up, spraying it on, wet sanding it and then buffing it out?

Or did you just take them off, tape it up and spray it on and call it good?

Did you do the whole process of scratching it up, spraying it on, wet sanding it and then buffing it out?

Or did you just take them off, tape it up and spray it on and call it good?

I wish i took pictures when i did this to explain it better.

Remove the tail lights

Once the tails are out lay them on a large flat surface free of dust.

I used alcohol to clean the outisde of them before paint.

OK this is where its tricky and takes some time.
-Look closely at the tail lights. Notice the 2 oval scratches?? Tape these off.

I actually covered one part of the tail at a time with tape so i could see exactly where these indentations were.
Pressing my finger nail in helped.
And just use a razor blade to cut it away.

So when you are done it will resemble a peanut.

Once both sides are completed use alcohol again.

This paint is kinda hard to use so you have to use light even coats. Dont get too excited and make it too dark too soon or u will end up with runs.

After your first light coat you wont even notice it is tinted. I waited about 5-10 minutes between coats.

Keep adding coats until you get it where you want it. In my case the one light coat followed by 3 more coats.

I have heard of some people using a clear coat after all this but i didnt. The finish isnt high gloss but it was good enough.

Hope this helped.

you could also go the vinyl route.

contact andy at bluebatmobile.net, he might be able to help you out

I just remembered ebay had some tail light covers that you can paint but only fits over the jdm style tails(no bulge)

Remove the tail lights

I actually covered one part of the tail at a time with tape so i could see exactly where these indentations were.

This paint is kinda hard to use so you have to use light even coats. Dont get too excited and make it too dark too soon or u will end up with runs.

After your first light coat you wont even notice it is tinted. I waited about 5-10 minutes between coats.

Keep adding coats until you get it where you want it. In my case the one light coat followed by 3 more coats.

I have heard of some people using a clear coat after all this but i didnt. The finish isnt high gloss but it was good enough.

Hope this helped.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.

Remove the tail lights

Hope this helped.
nice job man looks great. couple questions where can i get the paint u used? and what u use to tape it off with? just like regular painters tape?

I bought the niteshades from summit racing. One can should do ya. And I just used regular 3m masking tape.

Back