time for tires any recommendations

Nice and wide...can you get a rear shot strait on where you can really catch a glimpse of how wide those tires really are in relation to the 7?

Nitto pics

Here are a few more.

Attachments

• Nitto_tires6.jpg
    Nitto_tires6.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 883
  • Nitto_tires5.jpg
    Nitto_tires5.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 848
  • Nitto_tires7.jpg
    Nitto_tires7.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
Any follow up reviews on the Nittos? They look like excellent dry tires but how's the wet performance holding up?

My wife's CX has probably another 5k miles left on the stock GY RSAs and I've been looking at nothing but the OEM size, not considering the 255/55 sizes. There's difinetly a lot more choices with the 255/55 but I'm concerned with sidewall flex, loss stability and response.

Any follow up reviews on the Nittos? They look like excellent dry tires but how's the wet performance holding up?

My wife's CX has probably another 5k miles left on the stock GY RSAs and I've been looking at nothing but the OEM size, not considering the 255/55 sizes. There's difinetly a lot more choices with the 255/55 but I'm concerned with sidewall flex, loss stability and response.

The larger Nittos are by far superior to the stock tires, these truly are the tires that should have been stock. Wet performance is excellent as is dry and on snow. The car handles way better now with the Nittos, probably corners 5-10 mph faster in most cornering. The car feels more stable on these tires hands down. The tires appear stiff to me and very well built, I don't notice any flex at all. It really feels like a better crossover with these tires on, not to mention looks better. I feel more confident pushing it in the corners with these Nittos, it handles like a much sportier car with these tires. No problem at all going with the bigger size, the aspect ratio or whatever it's called is nearly identical to stock, these are just wider.

Update

Well, I am a few weeks into the tires and I am still very happy with their performance. I have noticed that I am feeling the tires and bit more on take off and when dropping it at highway speeds. I guess this is understandable with the amount of additional rubber placed on the road, comes additional resistance.

I spoke with Derrick at Corksport and my pedders springs should be here the third week of august. He is having significant issues with their shipments from Pedders overseas. I can't wait to put this combination together. I will provide an additional update with pics once everything is in place.

and another CX with Nitto 420s

Ordered the Nitto 420s in 255/55 size from Onlinetires.com which even with the high shipping cost, came out $80 cheaper then Discount Tire.

Initial impressions (80 deg F, dry, 64% Humidity):

Much quiter and much smoother, but pretty much what would expect, even from the stock GY RSAs if they're brand new.

Turn in is still very crisp and sharp, with just a slight feeling of "lag" which I was expecting with the nearly 1" wider section width compared to the stock 235/60 RSAs. When I say slight, I mean very little, not like what I've experienced on my MS3 with going from the stock RE050s 215/45s to a 225/40 Sumitomo HTR Z III.

The car feels much more grounded and firm, but still soaking up bumps and bad pavement exceptionally well. The RSAs were deceptive in this area with their brick feel, which often meant a nervous and unsettled feedback on anything but the smoothest surfaces and low speeds.

Where these tires really make the impression is at speeds 50+. WOW, very well planted, and very confidence inspiring. They actually feel more agile and sharper with speed.

Grip is astounding. I really cannot believe there can be that much difference in grip on a car this size and weight. It reminds me of when I went from stock RE92s on my WRX to Falken Azenis. That much of a difference. No exaggeration.

They do look very cool. I'm usually one to not care for what a tire actually looks like, but I must say these tires look the business. The tread pattern is hard to ignore and can't help but be noticed even as my wife was driving up and down in front of the house.

If you're like me and was finding it hard to find a tire that wasn't a cheap "Highway" tire or a UHP $250 Continetal or Good Year, these seemed to be the ultimate fit, with performance, safety, luxury and of course value.

Once we get more miles on them and hit some rainy/wet weather, I'll update the review

Pics (pardon the dirty Mazdas)

IMG00208.jpg

IMG00207.jpg

IMG00209.jpg

IMG00210.jpg

IMG00212.jpg

IMG00213.jpg

nice i have same tire on same color 7 also got from onlinetires an i like mine way more than the turanza's which were on mine no complains so far

looks like I'm in need of ties as well..

I'm lookin at the Hankook Ventus AS tires. Has anyone purchased these or know anything about these tires?

Taranza's

surely you jest.......this thread is chock FULL of all the unhappy owners whose cars came with taranza's only to have to replace them in 20k or less. There are MUCH better choices, do your DD and read this thread from page one and you should narrow down your choices to the 3 fav's of the board members. Another excellent resource is tirerackdotcom where you can read owners opinions as well.

Well, after many hours of research I think I'm going with Hankook Ventus AS RH07's. Reason being is I originally wanted General Grabber HTS's but they are and have been on national back order since last summer and no one seems to know when they're coming in. Then I decided on Kumho Solus KL21's but no one around here has those either because everyone is going to that tire since the Generals are on back order. I finally decided on Yoko ADVAN ENVigor's but even if I go online to get them, the shops around here want to charge a serious mint to mount and balance them. Its just not worth it since I wanted the General's all along. I finally decided on the Hankook's because the local tire shop here has them in stock and can get me out the door for $565. Since those tires have a 65k warranty and part of my deal to get the Hancooks so cheap was to get the shop's road hazard, I figure I can't go wrong for a few years. Anyway, I'm going with 255/55 and will do it on Monday. I will throw some pics up when I'm done.

Well, they had time today so I did it. $694.79 out the door including an alignment (needed it since I was pulling left), their road hazard warranty, the typical valve stems, tire disposal fee and all applicable taxes.

...and wow, are they so much quieter than the OEM tires I had (which I got 49k miles out of) and they were the Bridgestone Turanza's.

Last edited:
Nitto's and Kumho

So I see lots of recommendations for the S models with the 18's but not many for the i (I have a 2010 i sport). I want to keep the stock rims, so looking at 215/40 17's and I'm slowly narrowing it down to Nitto NeoGens 87W's but also looking at Kumho's Ecsta AST 87H's.

Any recommendations on the tires above or any other rec's for the non-turbo CX-7's in general?

Also, I'm in CA so dry/wet (no snow) is what I'm looking at for use.

Thanks guys.

Quick Update - I ended up going with Kumho Solus KR21's in 235/64/17 size. Just got them put on today so we'll see how they go. They look super nice on the stock rims, much better than the duelers.

Last edited:
Back