Tie rod or something else?

sarsbars

:
'03 Protege5
The roads out here are so bad, so last night when I was driving home something broke.

I first noticed it when I drove through a bumpy intersection. The bumps looked like ski moguls and my car felt like it was sliding all over the place over them. I figured it was just the shape of the road guiding my car. The rest of the way is pretty straight forward, it's a 50 with no real turns and no stops. I felt like my car was gliding along, but again thought nothing of it because some spots were wet. I also thought that maybe I had some bald spots (had to go from 55-0 in a short amount of time a couple of weeks ago and left some bad skids) and I was feeling that.

I got to the very end of the road and went to take my left and the steering wheel just kept turning but the car went straight. I put it in reverse and backed into a nearby parking lot. I thought it was my power steering, but when I turned the wheel to the right the driver's side wheel turned with it. Then I turned to the left and the wheel didn't budge.

When I got out and looked around I noticed my two front tires were both pointing inward! So my car was pigeon toed! I didn't hear or feel anything break, but I had hit a pot hole about 50 miles earlier. It was one of those ones that made me cringe, but the car drove fine after. I suppose it could have broken then and then jostled loose with all of the other bumps.

I called triple A and had it dropped off at the mechanic down the road. So far the consensus is that it's a tie rod or tie rod end.

Any idea on how much that takes to fix? Or how long it will be? Is it a part that needs to be ordered or is it something standard that most mechanics already have a stash of?

I already have to wait until tomorrow before he even looks at it.

Edit: He just called me and said he'll look at it tomorrow and see if he's something he wants to get into or not. Makes it sound like it's pretty bad :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back