Thudding, Inconsistent Idle Rev, Musty Wet Air Smell (2016 CX-5)

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring 153k mi

My rpm normally sits around 500 when I am either idle, at a stop light, or in park. As of recently, it has begin to drop below the 500 then essentially knock or thump and then raise up to 1500 or so for a second or more then settle back down to repeat the process. The issue does not happen when I am in motion driving. When I put it in reverse and idle backwards (without pressing gas pedal) it will jerk, jerk, jerk while rolling backwards. The issue seems to diminish greatly (although not entirely (rpm jumping around is less intense than the <500->1500) when the AC unit is turned off. When the ac is turned off I start to smell a musty wet and somewhat warm air.

When I drive for a long period (day or more) without the ac on, the knocking is less and the check engine light goes off. When I turn on ac for extended period, the engine will again knock and the check engine light comes on. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Not without knowing what code(s) the computer has thrown.
The first few engine lights had no codes offered. The codes I got today are P0171 (System Too Lean Bank 1) and U0452-86 Invalid data received from restraints control module - signal invalid. The technician says his computer recommends: power train system and reinstall intake air duct though he check the air intake and said it was all good.

Try cleaning your MAF sensor with an appropriate safe cleaner. On other model cars, the idle control sensor or ICV could have something to do with it.

Latest posts

Back