Throttle response delay in mazda 2 (2009)

:
2015 Mazda 2 Sedan
HI Guys,
I'm experiencing a throttle response delay in my mazda 2.

when starting to move from a stop, it does not response to accelerator paddle until I push it down bit more than necessary, and then car suddenly jerks off and begin to move.
this does not occur when car is moving, but has a delay in kick down. and I had 3 random engine cutoffs at low speeds.

I did some research on net and saw one guy has same problem as mine,(I'll quote it here as he has explained the issue way better than I am.)

Hi all,

I'm getting pretty significant throttle response delay in my 2013 Elantra w/ Tech. It's pretty egregious in stop-and-go traffic when I attempt to accelerate, wait a second before my car responds, and then get jerked forward, only to stop a second later.

I emailed Hyundai and was told to speak to the dealership. I called up the dealership and they had no idea what I was talking about. I emailed another local dealership, and they didn't get back to me. Pretty annoyed at this point.

I did a search on this forum and found some threads discussing resetting the throttle system by resetting the ECM. Wasn't too confident in doing that myself and I didn't want to mess up my car's computer system at all. I'd like the dealership to take care of this under warranty, but if they haven't heard anything about this, then I'm not sure how to proceed.

Anybody have any idea of what my next move should be?

furthermore some has respond him and advice him to do a soft reset on ECU. some advice him to clean MAF sensor and throttle body.

I have very little knowledge in automobile stuff so didnt quite understand what they were talking about.

Can you guys please advice me on what to do on this?

Thanks

I believe the 2009 models has a cable throttle, so resetting the ECU won't make a difference. You will need to remove the MAF(Mass AirFlow sensor) and clean it with MAF cleaner. Check the air filter and make sure it's clean, make sure there is not excessive slack in the throttle cable, and a worst case scenario is take the entire throttle body off and clean it. If you do not know what these are, take it to a professional as these parts are easily damaged(and expensive) and will prevent your car from running if broken.

I believe the 2009 models has a cable throttle, so resetting the ECU won't make a difference. You will need to remove the MAF(Mass AirFlow sensor) and clean it with MAF cleaner. Check the air filter and make sure it's clean, make sure there is not excessive slack in the throttle cable, and a worst case scenario is take the entire throttle body off and clean it. If you do not know what these are, take it to a professional as these parts are easily damaged(and expensive) and will prevent your car from running if broken.

Hi utmorpheus,
Thanks for the answer

I have replaced the air filter about one month back so that might not be the problem.

So I have to take it to a repair center, Do you have an idea about how expensive this repair is going to be?

As long as there is nothing broken it should be about an hour, maybe two of labor time. Depends on the local shop rate, here in NY, USA it's about $75/hr, but some private garages are half that.

As long as there is nothing broken it should be about an hour, maybe two of labor time. Depends on the local shop rate, here in NY, USA it's about $75/hr, but some private garages are half that.

Hi utmorpheus,
Sorry for the late reply. finally had time to do it last night. cost was $20 (for cleaners), I had some help from a friend with knowladge in automobile repairs.

Now the issue is solved but strangely I'm experiencing increased fuel consumption.( though this should not be the case).

any idea on this? do I have to reset ECU?

by the way demio 2009 has an electric throttle and no cables.

A ECU reset may help by resetting the long-term fuel trim. Also be sure all the vacuum hoses and other connectors are secured from the parts that were removed. It's very possible the increase in fuel consumption is normal and what you were experiencing was a lean condition from whatever the problem's original cause was.

Not sure when the Demio went from cable to electronic as USDM has always been electronic.

Back