throttle body coolant bypass

colder air burns better than hotter air.
doesn't burn better as a matter of fact. It burns better because there is more reactants crammed in a smaller area, resulting in higher compression which leads to better fuel economy or/and increase in explosive force. Sorry to be a word bug.

I personally wouldn't do this mod as my pro has enough trouble running at 40 below. But here's another coolant related thought. Say you have no AC system. Get 2 heater cores, one for air intake to your cab, and one for placement in the front of your car. Run lines and a pump between the two, and you have a sub $100 AC system. Just a thought..

Equinox said:
The reason we don't have more horsepower is so we don't out power the ford focus sold the same year.QUOTE]

:rolleyes: What? :rolleyes:
We have more power than the Ford Focus!

Well if it prevents power loss then it would show on a dyno! It would keep most of the runs consistant, right.
There are alot of cars with the coolant running thru the TB and hardly any of them do this mod. Why cause it does nothing and is a waste of time. But if you are bored, wanna touch and get to know your car then be my guess. Placebo(sp) effect.

--Herb--

Ah my favorite person to argue with :).

AzMz3,

It DOES show up on the dyno...but not as a gain. If you run a stock car, without the TB bypass and go 5-8 runs and take the average...then run a TB bypassed car, and go 5-8 runs on the dyno, the TB bypassed car will have a higher average dyno run.

Its not something you'd see in a single dyno, but over a multiple # of runs. I honestly don't see how it could give you a gain of power, as when you run the car the first time, there isn't any heatsoak, so being TB bypassed wouldn't do anything.

But on the 10th run....there will be a definite power difference between the two cars.

crossbow said:
Ah my favorite person to argue with :).

AzMz3,

It DOES show up on the dyno...but not as a gain. If you run a stock car, without the TB bypass and go 5-8 runs and take the average...then run a TB bypassed car, and go 5-8 runs on the dyno, the TB bypassed car will have a higher average dyno run.

Its not something you'd see in a single dyno, but over a multiple # of runs. I honestly don't see how it could give you a gain of power, as when you run the car the first time, there isn't any heatsoak, so being TB bypassed wouldn't do anything.

But on the 10th run....there will be a definite power difference between the two cars.

LOL.
Thats what I meant by showing a gain.
And we don't argue..LOL (poke)

So wait, now everyone is sayin the TB bypass is a bad mod? I live in 100+F weather and i would think that doing the mod would actually HELP??? Should I just got ahead and reconnect them? I drive my car a lot daily, so any help would be appriciated.

you should be fine....once it gets cold as in the colder seasons i'd go back stock.

Do whatever the hell you want. I liek how serious people take some of these posts.

Just to clarify my previous posts here...

I certainly don't see any gains in performance just from doing the ETB bypass Mod.

All of the gains I saw were from the ETB Ground mod. The coolant bypass for me, is a way of combatting the prolonged effects of heatsoak, which will never create more HP or Tq, but will (IMO) help maintain HP and Tq levels for long trips.

I hope that make sense. Great thread anyways :)

there are mods that add hp and mods that maintains or free up hp lost. grounding is neither...kinda like stiffer MM's are considered a perfomance mod but not hp perfomance.

as for seriousnes of post...

how long does it take for a metal tb that sits above the engine bay with engine coolant that already went thru the block circulating thru it will get affected by heatsoak? I had to wear gloves to remove my filter and heat shield cause the heat is that unbearable to the touch. if there was a shield to block the cooling fan heat from radiating in the direction of the intake that would help out even more. I seriously beleve the reason Iceman doesn't make a intake for us is it woudln't last long :)

Last edited:
i just did the mod, i live in michgan, i read that some one had it done to there car in 10F and still everything was fine! i suggest using 3/8 inch hose clamps (2 of them), 5/16 caps (2 of them), 3/8 barb! if you live in hotter weather, definitely do it!

Just to clarify my previous posts here...

I certainly don't see any gains in performance just from doing the ETB bypass Mod.

All of the gains I saw were from the ETB Ground mod. The coolant bypass for me, is a way of combatting the prolonged effects of heatsoak, which will never create more HP or Tq, but will (IMO) help maintain HP and Tq levels for long trips.

I hope that make sense. Great thread anyways :)

The throttle body is mounted to a metal intake, which is bolted to the block, which is connected to the frame by a cable. How does adding a direct cable make any difference? (uhm)

The TB bypass is a waste of time and produce minimal or no gain in hp at all.u The mod used to be a big thing with GM vehicles some years back, but actually had no performance value at all.

Back