This would suck

Potvin

:
2002 Protege5
I don't know if this is a repost or not. I wouldn't want to be in that plane or any plane when this happens, at least not without a fresh pair of boxers to change into.
airplanelightning.gif

you know, planes are made to withstand that
i don't know excatly how it is made to conduct and redistribute the charge
but it seems from the video, that the plane is just a conducter for the path of the lightening

but going back to the original note
Nobody wants to be in that plane

Yeah, planes can take a lightning strike no problem. I'll be the first to say that I would love to be in that plane...I want to see what lightning looks like up close.

1) plane isn't grounded
2) the body acts as a faraday's cage just like a car.
3) If the lightning hits the right part of a plane (low chance...I think it's in the 100,000:1 range at least) you can still have bad stuff happen. You could lose and engine or ignite fuel...but those are rare cases and other parameters factor into whether that'll happen or not.
4) I wonder if the passengers would even notice? Depending On how high they are...and if it hit the central core of the air craft, they may not. The sound is really the only thing I think that would alarm them.

My coworker is a programmer, but has a degree in meteorology (we work for an internet weather forecasting company). During one of his elective "Storm Chasing" classes, the van they were in was struck by lightning. He said it was blinding bright, hot, but silent, being that the sound travels outwards from the point of impact. Pretty cool. I'm sure it was just very bright in the plane.

Chris

My dad's been piloting for years.. he's got several stories about being struck by lightning. Planes really are built to take it.. which is hella cool.

Back