Thinking of getting a Mazda5....... Babies on the way!

Well still have not purchased anything yet.
Keep going back and forth between this and SUV's and full size vans, but keep coming back to the Mazda5.
I heard that the 2008 had a different transmission, is that correct?

Found a 2008 Sport with 113K for 6500 that looks to be in good shape. :|

Yeah, the 2008 started using a 5 speed. difference in about 2 miles in the highway mpg. In real life though, I found a more significant difference. I own a 2006 5 auto, had a 2009 5 sport manual and 2012 sport manual. Rented a 2012 sport auto. I've driven them all I guess.

TheRed - someone has a Mazda5 addiction. :)

I have a feeling if I do find one I like the wife will want one before to long.
We like the scion xb but I don't think the hatch area is big enough.

C

TheRed - someone has a Mazda5 addiction. :)

I have a feeling if I do find one I like the wife will want one before to long.
We like the scion xb but I don't think the hatch area is big enough.

C

Yes I do :) I just can't seem to find a better value out there for a small family. I looked at a cx-9 and couldn't justify spending an extra $10-$12k for a little wider car, barely more seating (technically 7 seats in the 9 but I'm not always jamming 3 people in the middle) and some fancy gadgets that I don't care for. And I'm losing 7-9 mpg in the cx-9. But the most important thing for someone with kids-- the sliding doors. Life is so much easier with sliding doors.

I looked at the Mazda5 back in 2011 but since the GT's weren't available, we opted to get a 2011 VW Routan. The itch always bugged me though. So I ultimately downsized the cRoutan earlier this year and got myself a 2014 6MT and my wife a Nissan Leaf.

Just do itttt

P1120354 by tuanies, on Flickr

If you think the Mz5 is right for you I wouldn't wait too long since they're not being sold in the USA after 2015 model year. You might find some really good deals on a new 2014 model for the next couple months.

I am really leaning towards the 2008-2010 model but tuanies 2014 looks pretty good!

I like the older model, but for me the interior on the 2014 is better. It's little differences, but I can't stand the green interior lighting of the previous gen. I love red lighting on the 2014.

I like the older model, but for me the interior on the 2014 is better. It's little differences, but I can't stand the green interior lighting of the previous gen. I love red lighting on the 2014.

I actually like the 08-10 interior better but I acknowledge it's cheaper looking. But I like the 08-10's simpler, cleaner layout on the dash. The 2012 dash is over stylized imo.

I actually like the 08-10 interior better but I acknowledge it's cheaper looking. But I like the 08-10's simpler, cleaner layout on the dash. The 2012 dash is over stylized imo.

Over? I find 2012 is plain looking dash, nothing exiting about it. (and nothing terrible so that's a good thing)

Found the one I like 7 hours away in Kansas. Dont know if I want to drive up that far just to be disappointed if something is not right.
What to do....what to do!!!!

14 hours is a hell of a round-trip for a car! I'd get as much info up-front as you can, and make sure the seller knows you're taking a whole day to come see it, just so they don't sell it out from under you while you're en route. But if you have a few months to go before the babies arrive, you have some time to source one more locally.

Just for market comparison, my wife and I picked up a 2006 with the 5-speed manual for $3K last week. It's got a few minor issues, like bad lift struts (broom stick for now), one key fob (functioning, yet busted), and it had bad tires (immediately threw on new snows).

Like others have mentioned, it's a really unique size and layout. We have a toddler, and a greyhound. The dog gets the whole trunk to lounge in, and our son gets the middle row. I think it's a great car for a small family (hell, we did fine in an old Golf for the first year of parenthood....this thing is straight-up luxurious).

Good luck!

Really late to the party here, I have an 06. I bought mine when it was just about a year old, with 20K (miles) on it. It was a rental before I had it. So far, it has 170K on it. The only things I've had to work on was the trans fluid burning every 50-60K (Mine has a 4-speed auto, everything newer has a 5-speed auto that may be more robust) and the brake light switch (lots of the electrical stuff is tied to the brake light switch on these, like the remote start) Everything else has been normal maintenance stuff that wore out, nothing's ever really broken on mine. It's never left us stranded, broke down, etc. It's been fantastically reliable. Plus, the slider doors make EVERYTHING easier to get in and out. THe last time I had work done on the 5, we got a CX-something as a loaner. Getting the girls' car seats in and out of that was a real chore compared to the 5. I believe the 5 is pretty much the perfect car for families with small kids. NOTHING else in this size can take 4 car seats, get 30mpg and actually be pleasant to drive. We have the 5 and a '10 Town and Country, and sure the T&C has more room, but is dead boring to drive, gets 20MPG on a good day and is hard to park in town. Oh and it cost a LOT more than a new 5 would, and there's no way to get a manual trans. So yeah, I really think you can't go wrong with a 5.

I have a 2010 MZ5 sport and bought brand new in 2010. Had lots of warranty repairs done including the sliders freezing in cold weather. All shocks and bushings replaced. Have a rattle that never goes away and dealer cannot fix. Have 50k miles on it now. Burns tranny fluid every 30k. The space is the only good think about it. All else is cheap on car. Recently one of the HVac cluster lights burned out on a knob. What the hell is that? Never had that happen on any car. I recommend that new Kia Van. It looks cool and has 5 year warranty. If you can afford to for Honda vehicle. My wife always had Hondas and never one problem. Mazda is cheap and crappy and if I could do it over I would run away. Sorry. Everybody in neighborhood asks me what that ugly thing is. Now I see that I could have gotten a lot nicer for a couple grand more and been happier.

Last edited:
If you can do your own work, the Mazda5 is an excellent value. They do tend to go through struts (I swapped to Koni) and a periodic drain and fill on the transmission fluid is recommended.

Edit: It is also common to replace the motor mounts and sway bar bushings. Again, easy to do yourself, but dissatisfiers for people who cannot.

Last edited:
Pros:
-Bargains can be had
-Fun to drive
-Versatile interior
-Small exterior dimensions so easier to park
-Relatively fuel efficient compared to other mini-vans
-You can buy a manual transmission
-Available with many creature comforts (e.g. heated seats, HIDs, sunroof, parking sensors). Even the sport model has nice options (e.g. cruise control, steering wheel mounted controls).
-No stupid infotainment system that becomes outdated after two years
-Sliding doors

Cons:
-Smaller interior than other vans but should be fine for a family of four
-Trunk is smaller than other mini vans (becomes mini-cooper sized when all six seats are being used).
-Not as safe as full sized minivans (probably a factor of being smaller)
-Interior lighting could be more plentiful
-Watch for power steering and camber issues on 1st gen models - they are known to eat tires
-No power sliding doors (unlike many other mini vans)

Note: the fact that it is smaller is both a pro/con depending on how you look at it.

Late to the party as well, and Miami pretty much nailed everything, except for one or two things- so I will throw in my 2c.
Wife and I just had twins too. Plus we already have a 3 year old, so knew we needed an upgrade from our Jetta.
And what actually fits 3 car seats right is a short list. We really should have gone with an Odyssey or Sienna, truck space is too limited with three seats.
But our budget ruled them out. Even a quality used one (2011+ under 40k miles) goes for $20k. we got our 2013 Mazda 5 sport with 6k miles for $14500.
Other than the tight squeeze for strollers and gear when we are all packed in (it is volumeous once you put all the seats down)- I have loved it, save for 3 points.
1. Road noise.
Mazda are notorious for this, and now I know why. Have to crack up the radio so loud just to drown it out.
2. Gas mileage/Power.
Power is fine- if it's just you. Add people and it starts to struggle. Mileage, while great for a mini-van, was hoping for better. Initally held off buying, hoping the 2015 came with a skyactive, but when I saw no skyactive for the U.S., looked for the best deal I could.
3. Outdated dash.
Did not think I would mind this as much as I would, but I do. At least it has a usb/aux input.

If you are on a budget, the 5 can't be beat.
If you can spend more and staying at just two kids, my advice is to get the Mazda CX-5 or Mazda 6 with the 2.5 skyactive. Better gas mileage, more powerful engine. Both will hold two car seats and gear fine.

Last edited:
Thank Un_Plug (and everyone for the info.) Unplug did you have boys or girls.

So the last month or so I have started more looking at what I want. Have not found a lot of Mazda5's that have caught my eye.
I did drive a couple Quest that were nice on the inside but both have had issues (Does that say something about them.)
Also checked out a could 2004-2005 MPV's and I have to say I really like those. They don't look bad at all with the fogs and I even found one with remote open doors.

At this time I am still looking but the MPV is the current fav in the hunt. But who knows what could happen.

Thanks again!

I'm in the same boat as the original poster and a local dealer has a good price on a used 2012 automatic.

Can anyone tell me what the year to year changes were on these cars from 2012 to current? The wikipedia page is confusing because it is international..

They added backup sensors, integrated turn signal for the site mirrors, and USB in 2013. Also, the piping of the leather seats changed from red to purple. I believe the cloth fabric changed design as well. In 2014, they added Deep Crystal Blue as a color.

Latest posts

Back