Stress tested the Mazda5

MazdaVelo

2003 P5, 2016 Mazda6, 2001 Protege, 2012 Mazda5
Finally put the 5 through it's paces. Recent weekend trip that had me carting around 6people and some gear, the largest of which was a arctic cooler sitting on a receiver mounted gear rack, and my best guess on that weight was maybe 80lbs. It did the job without complaint, and at least NOW i have an idea of what needs to be done as far as load carrying capacity. It might have only bottomed out maybe twice, but it wasn't super harsh, way to go bump stops. Ive seen people drop in CX7 rear springs, but ive also seen helper air bags sold on etrailer. The shocks will need to be swapped as this chassis has almost 100k on the clock. I was still pleasantly surprised at how well it did. Monitoring engine load via torque app during those drives and a few times it would be upwards of 90% now as far as safety factor i have no clue, but everything that was supposed to do it's job did exactly that, way to go 5th gear. The versatility of this damn van has been everything it claimed to be. zoom zoom on fellas!

Back