Thinking about this setup - any suggestions?

restored2x

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Valor ITS-702W DVD Receiver
Blaupunkt THA555PNP 55W x 4 + 200W x 1 Car Amplifier
MTX RT12X2A Dual 12" Road Thunder Sealed Enclosure
and the PNP cables for the amp, specially designed to use the Mazda's wiring.

Anybody had any experience with these components? Any suggestions on install?

I may pull the trigger on this today - unless someone can give me speciffic reasons why not to. The whole setup is about $1,000 buying from crutchfield.

My experiences with Blaupunkt is that there is much better to be had. MUCH better. Its the "road gear" of the respectable audio world, if that. MTX makes nice stuff but what you have chosen isnt it. It depends on what you are trying to do. Super budget system? This would work, but i think, like most you will find it wanting very soon, and then you will shell out more money for better stuff when you could have just gotten something good out the gate. My vote for awesome budget minded subs is the PHOENIX GOLD RSD12D 12" Subwoofer it is in my opinion the best kept secret in car audio. You only need one in 2.4 cubes (similar size to what you are looking at) tuned to like 28ish if i remember correctly (build one yourself or have someone build one for you). I can look it up for you if you like. It sounds AMAZING and pounds pretty well on 500w. You didnt mention a set of components, but i can assume that if you are using a x4x1 amp then you plan to run some. What did you pick out? If were me i would run separate amps for each, with higher dollar amps you get more tuning options to help match the sound to your car. This is invaluable for getting the most out of your investment. As for sub amps this is IDEAL Alpine MRD-M605 V12 Digital Mono Amplifier I have its big brother and its an awesome series of amps with plenty of tuning goodies, and when they say 600w they mean it. Prefect match for the sub. Great price too, however for the more budget minded you might need to look around. Anyway hope this helps, and remember that its your money to spend how you choose, but you will save money only spending it once.

Thanks!

I really wanted to try the Blaupunkt THA555PNP because it is plug-n-play. It uses the wiring already in the car. Part of me says this is a bad idea, and part says, "Why not?"

I'll check out the subs you are talking about... I likes PG.

Well - sent the amp back - not very good - especially at $500. I could hardly tell the difference between having the amp and stock. NOT worth the money at all.

I would really recommend an aftermarket head unit. It just cost so much to make a stocker the heat.

If he is running a MS3 GT, then it already has pre-amps.

If you want some suggestions, then try diamond audio for some speakers, they are relatively expensivef but they sound excellent.

As far as headunits, Alpine makes some excellent ones and their PDX line of amps is nice. I have a Alpine Type-x 10", it hits hard and sounds good but I am not sure of how good a "deal" it is. It was a bit expensive, but for the 500-1000 power range, most are either fart boxes or high end & expensive.

Thanks -

Going with the
Valor 702W
The cheap MTX box and subs (They have very good ratings for the price - and I can upgrade subs later if they suck.)
XTANT X604 amp

What about speakers?

Are the Kappa 682.7cf any good for $90 a pair?

Let me make a few suggestions then. I don't think crutchfield will be an ideal place to buy from.

Here is a few cheaper places:

onlinecarstereo.com & woofersetc.com

They car some of the better audio products, if you are looking for some top of the line stuff, check out Diamond audio and Phoenix Gold.

The Kappa series is usually pretty solid, its been about a year now since I have looked into audio community forums for information, so take my opinion on it with a grain of salt.

As for the sub, I suggest you get a custom built box to the specs that MTX gives you, or as a professional to build a box for the specific Hz you want.

Thanks, Vord.

Ordered the Polk Audio db 571 - two pair.

The subs are supposedly already matched to the box.

Subs and box are easy upgrades later, if necessary. The speakers are a little more of a hassle - so I want to get those right the first time if I can.

Thanks for the links.

Its your money and of course you are free to do with it what you want. Im a firm believer in buying something of quality once as opposed to buying something that will satisfy me for a while, before Im looking at something better. This is all very relative too, most people havent ever heard a real properly tuned system either so they dont know what they are missing and are happy with what they have. Im not sure who is suggesting this stuff to you, but you have honestly found the worst stuff these high end companies carry. Im not trying to be a dick, you asked for recommendations and here they are. Polk is an amazing company, but there is first NEVER any excuse to run oval speakers,second there is no reason to pay $100 for Coaxial speakers when 6.5 REV components can be had for that. Thirdly there is no reason to upgrade the back speakers IMO for running rear fill. I dont run rear fill, but for those that do its should be faded forward to such a degree that you shouldnt be able to really hear much difference.
Heres some quality Polks
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=polk+components&i=107DB6501
$200 for some components may seem like a lot but you will know where that money went.
Head over to www.caraudio.com/forum and dig around, you can find all the info you could want and then some.

If he is running a MS3 GT, then it already has pre-amps.

If you want some suggestions, then try diamond audio for some speakers, they are relatively expensivef but they sound excellent.

As far as headunits, Alpine makes some excellent ones and their PDX line of amps is nice. I have a Alpine Type-x 10", it hits hard and sounds good but I am not sure of how good a "deal" it is. It was a bit expensive, but for the 500-1000 power range, most are either fart boxes or high end & expensive.

This man speaks the truth. Also for really good prices you can check www.etronics.com. They has crappy inventory and the site sucks out loud, but if they have what you want it will be cheapest here. Never had problems getting things on time, even in germany.

Last edited:
Thanks, Demi. Don't worry - no offense taken. As you said - I asked for advice. I appreciate everyone's opinions - even the expensive ones!

Back