The "What mods for a daily driven MSP?" Guide Thread

I just mod mine cause i like the challenge. Its one of my hobbies. Ive never tracked it, I do race around town sometimes, but its just fun to drive to me. Plus the wife likes to drive in it.

I'm tryin to find a stock racing beat axleback so I can mimic your setup. They've gotten exponentially harder to find.

where can you buy a customMsp smic and how much do you think all of these mods will cost

Ive searched for most of this stuff, and for most of these mods its just under 3k with some small differences, most of them found at protege garage.. hopefully ill have all my mods by the end of the summer in (cabpatch)

Last edited:
I have a 03 msp with a Micro tech ecu,bigger injectors,255 waldor fuel pump,perrin fuel rail,perrin front mount,act six puck cluch,light wieght flywheel, blow off, waste gate and a few others. how much boost do you guys think the stock motor can take its a daily driver

id say 10. some say more, some say less. we cant really tell you. it depends on alot of things. I run 10 daily.

I have a 03 msp with a Micro tech ecu,bigger injectors,255 waldor fuel pump,perrin fuel rail,perrin front mount,act six puck cluch,light wieght flywheel, blow off, waste gate and a few others. how much boost do you guys think the stock motor can take its a daily driver

we pretty much have an identical mod list. I run 15psi on the stock block and have for a really long time. I guess it depends how much money you are willing to gamble with.if the block goes so does some money from your account

I did buy it but I dont have it yet and I dont think he will make them anymore. the guy had a bit of a snafu. its a replica MAM thumper manifold.

Very nice thread, I liked the part that explained with relocating the maf ain't good, very detailled. :D

I've had my msp for 4 months now and I've installed:
1-SS AFC
2-RR-racing front n rear inserts
3-Shifter Bushings
4-Injen CAI
5-HKS bov to replace leaking oem bpv
6-RedTop battery
7-Str33tUn1t smic, cold pipe with Samco Hot pipe (in the mail, coming home to papa real soon!)

Will installing a cat-less mid pipe with non-fouler plugs make a big difference?? I figured it would be the last step before taking my boost levels to 8 psi...

Oh, another thing: is the compressor surge a.k.a. turkey noise from our msp going to be alot stronger when I boost at 8psi? I mean, it's already a bad thing that weakens our turbos faster, what will it look like at higher boost levels?

Very nice thread, I liked the part that explained with relocating the maf ain't good, very detailled. :D

I've had my msp for 4 months now and I've installed:
1-SS AFC
2-RR-racing front n rear inserts
3-Shifter Bushings
4-Injen CAI
5-HKS bov to replace leaking oem bpv
6-RedTop battery
7-Str33tUn1t smic, cold pipe with Samco Hot pipe (in the mail, coming home to papa real soon!)

Will installing a cat-less mid pipe with non-fouler plugs make a big difference?? I figured it would be the last step before taking my boost levels to 8 psi...

Oh, another thing: is the compressor surge a.k.a. turkey noise from our msp going to be alot stronger when I boost at 8psi? I mean, it's already a bad thing that weakens our turbos faster, what will it look like at higher boost levels?

definately worse, i think i finally fully understand this whole thing and will fix it using another bpv. 505 Zoom has a setup that lets you keep from cutting up your harpipes to install bovs or move your maf. If you buy the boostsciences rdv it has 1" inlet and outlet. then all you have to do is have the nipple cut off your hotpipe and your air intake and replace with a 1" nipple. then just hook up like normal. this allows the air to circulate properly getting rid of the turkey without having to run a bov or relocate maf. check out this thread, he has a video that shows it still sounds good. As far as running higher boost on it i dont know maybe someone else will be able to help you with that.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123699023&page=3

Last edited:
Hey terbow, would you say its safe for me to up my boost with the mods i have. Mods are in my sig. I was thinking about getting Joep MBC.

ok, i have a couple questions, i have gotten most of my mods that i plan to get, and most of them are sitting around in my room before i install them, a few questions i have are the vacuum hoses, my guess is that i will need to order a few feet of them to hook up my bov,boost gauge, maybe JoeP mbc, um, and i dono anything else?, would it be wise to get a distribution block because as of now im not sure where i could get dedicated lines for vacuum and whatnot, also, lets see... i already know about the Allan wrench bolts for the vibrant exhaust, um, is there anything else that i can get/ will need to get to make this install easier, i plan on going to Cleavland (10hour drive) to see my dads cousin with my dad to install most of this stuff, he has a lift, and is a big car guy, that and it would just be a fun trip, and i don't wanna be out there without something that i need to install it.. any help and tips would be great, and would like any response please.. thanks, btw the waiting to be installed parts are in the sig, includes ordered stuff

Back