The ULTIMATE OEM Intake Manifold Comparison Thread

Do anyone know about this intake manifold? And whats up with the black box on top?
intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

intake4.jpg

Allright what do you guys think: " Mr. Mani" or " Dr. Mani" cause this dude really knows his stuff! Great chatin with you man and good info. Mods need to sticky this tread!

Allright what do you guys think: " Mr. Mani" or " Dr. Mani" cause this dude really knows his stuff! Great chatin with you man and good info. Mods need to sticky this tread!

LoL.. I just happened to be in possession of every single one of those manifolds at one time, so I figured I'd post up some comparison pictures for everyone. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.. I've also taken off and installed these manifolds several times now so feel free to ask any installation questions.

And yes, this should be stickied ;)

Ok this has nothing do with intakes... to an extent, but Im gettin a PO111 on my OBD scanner. its the IAT sensor located on the air box. Now this sensor malfunctioning, could this sensor really cause my car to idle bad. I have done the egr cleanign and what not. what do you think?

I don't wanna be an ass.. but you know your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and yet you still post it. Make your own thread man, you'll get more help that way anyway.

But to kinda sorta help you.. yes, the IAT sensor is located on the air box. Looks like a little anchor. It could just be that it's unplugged.

I don't wanna be an ass.. but you know your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and yet you still post it. Make your own thread man, you'll get more help that way anyway.

But to kinda sorta help you.. yes, the IAT sensor is located on the air box. Looks like a little anchor. It could just be that it's unplugged.

agree... i will next time. thanks for the info thought. thanks once again

Dr. Mani what's the pros and cons of installing the thermal spacer that came in the kit I bought? Thanks Doc!

Dr. Mani what's the pros and cons of installing the thermal spacer that came in the kit I bought? Thanks Doc!

Cooler air temperatures inside the intake manifold. The spacer puts more room between the head and the manifold so it doesn't get as hot, which in turn means that the air inside doesn't get as hot either. They make the same kind of spacers for throttle bodies as well, but I don't think there is one available for the Protege..

The spacer i picked up from Outlaw engineering came with TB one. Im going to combine this with a 2000+ 626 mani with removed VTCS. Im am staying N/A so i hope i dont lose much at the lower end power.

There's really no point in installing the 626 manifold if you're NA, just remove the VTCS off your stock one or get a MP3 manifold (it came without VTCS).

Hmm.. I'm not sure should I make a new thread, but this seems to have little info already..

About this:
ok i peeps its been a min since i been on but I took pics of my intake mani that came with the car whe i bought it. now when i bought it had a blown engine it was missing the head. i had enginge blocl, tranny, all snap on part alt. starter. etc.... excet the ehad. simple right? not in my case my car is acting up so im wondering if my intake can be the issue. so here goes... who can tell me the 4-1-1 on my intake manifold.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/heyheyproductions/DSCN0534.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/heyheyproductions/DSCN0535.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/heyheyproductions/DSCN0536.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/heyheyproductions/DSCN0537.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/heyheyproductions/DSCN0537.jpg

I haven't seen FS-ZE intake manifold from 626, but that is same as in european 626 FS-DE manifold, FP doesn't have that resonator. So I guess same as yours 2000+ 626 mani..?

I have one EDM P5 mani (w/ VICS, w/o VTCS), and that 626 mani with that resonator (w/o VTCS), wich would be better in N/A??

And I have european 2001 HP 626...

Does anyone know why they used different manifold designs between an '00-'02 626 and Protege if they were both FSDE engines?

I have been on the fence lately about the 626 mani. There are several at the JY but I am not convinced I will gain any power and certainly don't want to lose any low end. I have the stock mani without VTCS which should be about the best I can do unless I get a 505, no?

^I'll agree with that. I've experience both a VTCS-less (stock MP3) manifold as well as a 626, and the power difference is minimal. The 626 does give a bit more oomph, but not by much. You do lose some low end, but as a result you gain it back in the mid range.. it's all about where you want your power I guess.

But in the end I settled on a 626 just due to the simple fact that it cleans up the engine bay and makes the back of the block MUCH more accessible. I can now reach from the top of the car and get to my oil filter, reach from the passenger side and get all the way to the EGR (this was a life saver when installing the Canadian EGR valve), fiddle with the oil pressure sender if needed, and so on. Essentially the whole back of the block becomes accessible from the top of the vehicle.. no need to crawl under and work on your back just to change your oil.. everything can be done by simply popping the hood.

And as said, you DO gain some power as well, it's just not going to be even close to the gains of a 505 (but it's also a fraction of the cost of a 505...)

I already change the oil filter from the top, lol. But I know what you mean. If I could find any dyno proof of the 626 IM I would be convinced and I may go ahead and do it anyway I just wanted to know if anyone had some concrete evidence more than just butt-dyno. I know PG had a dyno sheet with a 24whp gain but i'm not so stupid to believe anything PG posts.

Back