The rest of the story, or how my engine blew, the novel.

I don't think he had a voltage clamp on nor did he have a WB on.

Got your clamp back on yet? How much do they run, I might be interested.

nope, never had either. But I was using the stock MAF, and if I recall, we were controlling the extra injectors via TPS. We road tuned for quite a long time. I drove it easy, I drove it hard - I did everything I could think of. Parking lots, normal traffic, and many differint levels of accelleration. Drivability was a major thing for me, and so was fuel economy.

By the way, the one nice thing about not being boosted is getting 360 miles to a full tank of regular unleaded gas.

Bigg Tim said:
Bout time you let it out. It sucks, but it's very usefull info for those who turbo with the auto tranny.

What the hell is this:

You trying to make me sound like a......... Not that it's bad to be one, but I am DEFINATLY not! But if I was, you would of been hurtin!!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!(moon)

LOL!!!!!

WHY ARE YOU EMBARRASSED OF OUR LOVE.

LinuxRacr said:
Hahaha! (werd) My newest system is like 2 1/2 years old. I stopped fooling with computers mostly when I got into cars. The knowledge is still there, but...

I have on Linux server striping across 2 30GB HD's. How impressive :rolleyes:

I've got Yellow Dog Linux running on a G3 iMac 266mhz (288MB RAM). Was impressive but I haven't used it since I started using the iMac's usb keyboard for SOCOM on PS2.

Bigg Tim said:
I don't think he had a voltage clamp on nor did he have a WB on.

Got your clamp back on yet? How much do they run, I might be interested.

I put it back on this afternoon, it is 100$ from FM if i remember correctly. It fixed all problems with the ecu pullinmg fuel in closed loop. I didnt drive it to much b/c my brakes are screaming, but i can tell it definitly worked. I would highly recomend getting one, unless MPNICK has another way to get around the fuel pulling issue for you.

Micah said:
nope, never had either. But I was using the stock MAF, and if I recall, we were controlling the extra injectors via TPS. We road tuned for quite a long time. I drove it easy, I drove it hard - I did everything I could think of. Parking lots, normal traffic, and many differint levels of accelleration. Drivability was a major thing for me, and so was fuel economy.

By the way, the one nice thing about not being boosted is getting 360 miles to a full tank of regular unleaded gas.

Im gonna say i think this is what blew your engine. For the past few weeks i havent been driving my car because of my brakes, but when i did i always had to go WOT or nothing into boost. At partial throttle you can build boost while maintaing a 14.7 afr. I hated driving on the highway latley for this reason. In 5th gear on the highway any thing over 15% throttle and your building boost, with no voltage clamp you were running lean. I can verify this because i have a wideband o2 (best thing i own). I have been waiting for andy to install jaje's car for a while with the voltage clamp to see how things went, now i just went out for a drive, and no more fuel pulling at partial throttle. As soon as my car see's any boost my afr drops down to the 11 afr.

wussup. i'm just repling so i can keep informed on this thread since i now own micahs turbo!!!!!!!

I agree with paul. Only FP to my knowledge has a product to limit the fuel being pulled by the car. Now if MPI has a way to damp a bajesus of fuel in to compenstate then that seems possible to, yet no one has given me the details of this.

For now I must rely on what I know to be true and that is that the O2 sensor unchecked will lead to engine meltdown.

1st MP3 in NH said:
I agree with paul. Only FP to my knowledge has a product to limit the fuel being pulled by the car. Now if MPI has a way to damp a bajesus of fuel in to compenstate then that seems possible to, yet no one has given me the details of this.

For now I must rely on what I know to be true and that is that the O2 sensor unchecked will lead to engine meltdown.

The engine had rod bolts fail. The plugs did not melt, the head gasket did not fail and the pistons are fine. Rod bolts fail when they are pushed past a their safe rpm.

There was no melt down, the air fuel was safe all of the time.

Thanks again

Later.....Nick

1st MP3 in NH said:

Yes with the MPI Tuner you can not only clamp the O2 you can also tune it for the air fuel that you want. Now please keep in mind that you can only add as much fuel as your injector will flow.

Thanks again

Later...........Nick

MPNick said:
you can also tune it for the air fuel that you want. Now please keep in mind that you can only add as much fuel as your injector will flow.

Thanks again

Later...........Nick

Does it have a feature that will allow me to hook a wideband o2 to achieve my desired AFR. Somewhat like the FAST system Wagner mentioned?

I have 2-36lb/hr injectors

You have any pics of the rods/Pistons? i would like to see where they Rod bolts broke.

Sounds right. It wasnt the turbo that caused the failure, it was just an aggravating.

You know...i feel in the mood of blowing up my engine... hehe j/k

igdrasil said:
Sounds right. It wasnt the turbo that caused the failure, it was just an aggravating.

You know...i feel in the mood of blowing up my engine... hehe j/k

I see you drag race your car. I have a Mazda Speed guy who runs over 100mph but can not get into the 13s to save his life. Do you know of anything that may help him?

Thanks again

Later............Nick

check the time and trap speed in the 1/8...
the whole paper should say everything.

I beleive our cars will need at least 104mph on the 1/4 to break into the 13s or maybe better grip.

Ask hiboost, i dont do a lot of drag racing

paulmp3 said:
Im gonna say i think this is what blew your engine. For the past few weeks i havent been driving my car because of my brakes, but when i did i always had to go WOT or nothing into boost. At partial throttle you can build boost while maintaing a 14.7 afr. I hated driving on the highway latley for this reason. In 5th gear on the highway any thing over 15% throttle and your building boost, with no voltage clamp you were running lean. I can verify this because i have a wideband o2 (best thing i own). I have been waiting for andy to install jaje's car for a while with the voltage clamp to see how things went, now i just went out for a drive, and no more fuel pulling at partial throttle. As soon as my car see's any boost my afr drops down to the 11 afr.

Nah, I don't think this was it. I am fairly sure it was a manufacturing or assembly error. MPnick, and Perf both agree with this as well. They have seen the engine, and the pieces of the rod that blew out of it. There are no signs of detonation at all. The car was running fine. The problem was that the rod bolt gave out.

Trust me, I built plenty of boost, and when MPnick and I were tuning I made a few quick runs from 40mph to 115mph. (usually with MPnick saying "whoa - slow down Micah" - then me looking down with an evil grin at the speedometer and saying "oh boy").

Wait until Joka1 has his car boosted. He's going to love the feeling of 8psi, with a proper FMIC, and the piggyback that is well tuned. Car ran perfect at idle because the injectors only came on with boost which was determined by throttle position under load as we tuned it this way. Trust me, if I could have afforded it, I still would have kept it. The problem was that I would have had to buy the new engine, forge the internals, and also do work on the tranny. I could not stand the idea of settling for a measley 4-5psi. I had 8psi, and it was great. Hell, if anything - I wanted more.

Yes, boost is addictive, and I know that I said I had self control and I wouldn't be hooked on it. In the end - while I was a bit hooked on it, I also realized that I would be working my way into debt just as fast as I could build the car and tranny.

Now, it's just a matter of me paying off more of my car. I currently owe $13,800 and I wouldn't expect to get more than $9,000 - maybe $10,000 for it.

For now, I'm just driving the car - it's back to stock. Got a CEL once in a while for "engine running lean" - might be an o2 sensor, might be faulty or clogged injectors, might be a vacuum leak. Still working on figuring it out. When the CEL comes on, it's usually for only a hour or two of driving time. Sometimes I'm able to make it to the shop and plug it in to the snap-on MODIS scan tool, other times, it turns off.

I'd like to state that through all of this, the support I have recieved from the shop has been great. I could not begin to count the amount of times I have called and driven down after work while they have stayed open late to help me out. As an added bonus, the food at the shop is pretty damned good too. Not to mention the cars I get to see and the work I've seen done. I was there last night and they were working on a Corvette, a Mercedes 4-matic wagon, a caged out Chevy Sprint with a turbocharged 2.3 liter, and a 300ZX for a engine swap to a Twin Turbo from a n/a engine. I've seen Dodge Vipers there so many times, I'm actually not impressed by those cars anymore.

Yeah, it sucks that I blew a rod, but I don't regret choosing this shop. Hell, I don't regret any of it. MPnick and Perf have showed me alot, it's been and continues to be a great experience.

Back