The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I dislike drilled with a passion. "Let's put stress risers in a component that sees thermal cycling." Add cheap on that and I think you've got a good recipe for cracked rotors.

i have no idea what that meanst but i get them because they dont hold too much heat. they vent extremely well and never faded for me on my protege, and they were paired with stoptech street performance pads

Warping of the rotor really isn't warping of the rotor, its deposits of pad that melt into the surface of the rotor. That's why you go cheap blanks, and then spend your money on a quality pad.

Yeah, this. If you think you've warped a brake rotor go find an empty street and do a bunch of hard stops from moderate-to-high speeds. That should fix any issue.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read on an internet forum. I joined just to tell you that you are a moron. I've machined thousands of brake rotors, obviously you've never actually been a mechanic. You make my head hurt.

i have no idea what that meanst but i get them because they dont hold too much heat. they vent extremely well and never faded for me on my protege, and they were paired with stoptech street performance pads
Drilled holes multiply stress in objects. If you think of a simple bar in tension the maximum stress is the forced exerted on the bar divided by its cross-sectional area. Adding a round hole in the middle of the bar will increase the stress by a factor of 3 at the sides of the holes. It's a simple case but it's applicable to rotors as well. The tradeoff with drilled rotors is this shorter fatigue life for less heat retention, etc. like you said. Since I've never raced professionally I never saw the need for them.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read on an internet forum. I joined just to tell you that you are a moron. I've machined thousands of brake rotors, obviously you've never actually been a mechanic. You make my head hurt.
LOL, welcome to the forums. You're post has been reported. No, I'm not a mechanic. I'm an engineer with a Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering working for one of the largest gas turbine companies in the world. However, I did help out at a car dealership service shop one summer in college. Machining rotors was one of the most lucrative services out there. Sure, rotors can actually warp. I've seen them warp after sessions on track when someone didn't let them cool down before applying the emergency brake.

Either way, good of you to get to know someone before calling them a moron. I take it you won't be a Mid-Ohio this weekend? I'd love to speak with you in person :)

If you joined solely for that reason, then I question what you do in your free time. Perhaps you should go tell the engineers at Stop Tech how you disagree with them.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
He's a mechanic. You know, the guys that nickel-and-dime you for every little service you don't need. Of course he's going to recommend a rotor turning service :D

Last edited:
No, but you are an engineer, that has been called out incorrectly, on something you know a lot about. I've been there, and it never ends nicely for the other guy.

2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg
2636-lol-meme.jpg

thats why youre the one working on cars, and we are the ones designing cars.

Hey, I'm playing nice! Do I really have this much of a reputation?!

You're probably one of the smartest cats in our Ohio group and your builds and posts show it. So it's funny when someone call you a moron. That's all. :)

You do have a reputation of speaking your mind, which is a nice change of pace here on 247 where people are easily butthurt.

Sorry, back to rotor discussions.

edit- epic Post, AJ. haha

Last edited:
No, but you are an engineer, that has been called out incorrectly, on something you know a lot about. I've been there, and it never ends nicely for the other guy.
I'll admit I don't know everything about brakes. In fact, I was mainly citing the article Phen posted rather than speaking from individual knowledge. I'd assume the engineers at StopTech would know what they're doing. Obviously brakes can warp there's no denying that but when even Mazda themselves issue a statement with the exact procedure I described to fix a vibrating brake issue on the CX-9 you know there's got to be some merit. I just don't see my never being a mechanic or someone machining thousands of brake rotors is grounds for calling someone a moron.

EDIT: Damnit AJ, I LOL'd at work and now everyone's staring at me.

Last edited:
Is that guy just searching around for internet forums that have brake discussions going on, joining, and calling people idiots? I'm just curious how someone like that stumbles upon this thread...

He is from Columbus. Probably bumping around in here waiting for the lathe to finish the final pass on a rotor. Then chucking them on the car without a non-directional finish and plenty of dust and grease from not cleaning them first.

Back