The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Yeah, Wes brought up a good point in the shop that I do have lady hands so would like something compact.

And of course, "firearms" are blocked here at work. Blast.

Last edited:
+1 on clay pigeons being fun. For not having any experience with guns or clay pigeons I actually did pretty good my first 1-2 times. However, I can't seem to connect with an actual pheasant or grouse when I go hunting w/a dog :(

LOL, AJ!

Thanks for all the info and offer, Levi. I'll certainly hit you up on that next time you're in town. Sounds like we should get a firing range meet together too. haha.

Since I'm so very new to firearms I figured I'd ask in here for advice since a lot of you cats are into them. And posting in the firearms thread as a newb would probably get me flamed.

I'm not looking for anything super expensive, or fancy. Like a 9mm I can take to the range twice a month and use for home defense and such. Maybe even a conceal and carry (just for in my car, not on myself) eventually. Any recommendations on a reliable, inexpensive 9mm? I'm not really looking to spend more than $400 and not really going to turn this into a full-blown hobby.

lol what? (lol2) once you meet the people around me fraternity house youd understand why i dont feel bad sending some birdshot through a theif..

yeah, but its not too big of a house. lets just say id feel worse about killing that snake. you havent seen bad til youve seen the people that live in the ghetto of detroit. the only reason detroit isnt the city with the most crime is becasue most of it isnt caught.

CCW would be cool, but I just can't see myself ever being in a situation where I'd have to USE it?

I don't think anyone ever gets a CCW with the intent of using it, and if they do, they got it for the wrong reasons. But soon your daughter will be growing up and bringing men home, and you might feel differently. ;) My point for most people is, even if you don't care about getting killed yourself, I think you'd care a lot more if someone tried to harm your family, nawmean?

For the affordability side of things, Evan, I'd keep an eye out for a P series Ruger in 9mm. There are several variants, P89, P94, etc, and can be had used for under or around 300$ it looks like, after a quick look on gunbroker (ebay for guns). I'm not sure how the grip size would be, since it's still a double stacked mag, but some of that is adjustable with aftermarket grips.

There's the perpetual 9mm vs .40 S&W vs .45 ACP, but at the end of the day, any will do, if you do your part. If you can do your part, 9mm has the advantage of carrying more rounds, in most cases less recoil for faster follow up shots, and is usually a bit cheaper for ammo to keep your skills up. If you just don't care and want to put big holes in things, then .45 takes the cake, as it's like a flying fist. Slow but powerful.

As far as revolver vs autoloader, it's a bit more personal preference, but for me, I'd go with the autoloader for any defensive situation short of bear in Alaska, or if I need to reenact the wild west. You don't want to be caught with only 6 rounds at your disposal if you round a corner and a zombie horde is staring you down. ;) And if you've got a double action, you get a hang fire, you advance the cylinder, and it goes off, you're going to eat it.

Revolver_hangfire.jpg

My personal favorite that I've shot is the CZ 75 D, but the price is up there. Plus it just looks gorgeous.

1299653948962.jpg

Also, a random pic I found in my weapons folder that cracked me up.

1301328007975.jpg

Most recently, they have the Ruger SR22 22LR for $297 with free shipping. Have you shot them or seen them around? Do you know if they are any good? Could you recommend a different .22 that is near that price range? (300-400)

I don't have any experience with the SR22, but I do own a S&W 22A that I like for some range plinking or warming up before shooting some bigger stuff. The 22A is very accurate, and can be had a lot cheaper <150$ depending on what you can find. Prices on gunbroker seemed to be between 130-250, but I sure wouldn't pay 250 for it. They're ugly, but work fine in my experience, and if you can do your part, you could cover all 10 rounds on the paper at 10-15 yards with a quarter or better.

Like Levi mentioned, some of the bulk .22 ammo can be finicky, and I don't remember which brand worked well for us (my dad has a 22A as well, though he much prefers his Ruger Single Six as he likes revolvers). At 20$ a box of 550, though, it's hard to complain. Plus you've got something to blame the flyers on! :D The CCI stuff costs more but is much higher quality.

ive got the 22A as well wes,
i put a little red/blue/green dot scope on it, im still working on fine tuning it but i can still shoot damn near the middle out of the target at 20-25 yards (i want 50 yards just because it would be damn fun to take a pistol and snipe a few destructive groundhogs for a few farmers with it, and if not theres always the rifles to do the job haha)

its not a bad gun, there are a few quirks with it, BUT can be fixed and S&W will send new plastic buffers for very cheap. and for anyone looking for guns, id suggest checking out www.budsgunshop.com

great prices and they will ship to an approved dealer in your area, then you just sign paperwork, and a few other things and your are out the door... my dad has bought 3 guns off there and their customer service has been top notch every time

Cool story time!

Some woman backed into Jen's 3 yesterday while she was at work. There was a witness that got the vehicle information and called the police to report the accident. Mind you Jen works for a police department and an officer just happened to be looking out of the window when it happened. The woman was driving a pick-up and after she hit Jen's car she looked around and drove off like nothing happened. This happened directly in front of the police department. The lady was tracked down shortly after a few blocks away at the bank. She was given citations for improper backing and fleeing the scene of an accident. The reece hitch on the truck jacked up the bumper and broke the lower grill on Jen's car.

^ that sucks Larry, but atleast it was found

i found a new door ding with paint transfer yesterday on my front drivers side door... paint transfer and the ding mean it didnt just accidently bump it, someone pushed it further.. they are lucky i never saw who it was, they might have ended up with a slashed tire

^ that sucks Larry, but atleast it was found

i found a new door ding with paint transfer yesterday on my front drivers side door... paint transfer and the ding mean it didnt just accidently bump it, someone pushed it further.. they are lucky i never saw who it was, they might have ended up with a slashed tire

It's why I usually have a tire valve core tool in my glovebox.

I've considered the compact, even though I'm not really planning on carrying it around, but I'd have to see how it feels. I shot my ex brother in law's 45, compact since he has small hands, and that was not a pleasant experience... would be different with a 9mm but I still didn't feel comfortable holding it
The other reason I chose the P99C over the PPS was the grip. The P99 series just feels so nice in the hand. I won't lie, my P99C in 9 mm has more recoil than my 1911 in .45, but you'll get that no matter what with compact, polymer frame. If I'm ever in the area again I'll have to bring mine so you can check it out. Unfortunately I've never come across a range with Walthers available to try out.

IMO there really is not argument between 9 mm/.40 and .45 when it comes to stopping power. The .45 just has some much more energy (230 gr for FMJ and ~160 gr for JHP). The problem is most .45s are full frame and difficult to CCW unless you're a large person and they are a nightmare to shoot as Pablo has pointed out. I personally prefer 9 mm to .40 (~10 mm) because of cost and capacity. Sure the .40 has more stopping power but rounds are significantly more expensive than 9 mm. Regarding capacity, for example, my P99C is 9 mm and holes 10+1 rds. The same thing in .40 holes 8+1 rds.

I'll +1 Wes' suggestion of the Ruger P-series. IMO, Ruger makes very nice, accurate, and CHEAP pistols. My personal preference is Walther but my P99C is more than 2X your budget, LOL!

It's why I usually have a tire valve core tool in my glovebox.

It is the best watching a person who knows next to nothing about a car try to fill their tire with air when it has no valve core :) Freakin Halarious!

The other reason I chose the P99C over the PPS was the grip. The P99 series just feels so nice in the hand. I won't lie, my P99C in 9 mm has more recoil than my 1911 in .45, but you'll get that no matter what with compact, polymer frame. If I'm ever in the area again I'll have to bring mine so you can check it out. Unfortunately I've never come across a range with Walthers available to try out.

IMO there really is not argument between 9 mm/.40 and .45 when it comes to stopping power. The .45 just has some much more energy (230 gr for FMJ and ~160 gr for JHP). The problem is most .45s are full frame and difficult to CCW unless you're a large person and they are a nightmare to shoot as Pablo has pointed out. I personally prefer 9 mm to .40 (~10 mm) because of cost and capacity. Sure the .40 has more stopping power but rounds are significantly more expensive than 9 mm. Regarding capacity, for example, my P99C is 9 mm and holes 10+1 rds. The same thing in .40 holes 8+1 rds.

I'll +1 Wes' suggestion of the Ruger P-series. IMO, Ruger makes very nice, accurate, and CHEAP pistols. My personal preference is Walther but my P99C is more than 2X your budget, LOL!

that would be greatly appreciated, don't know other people who have one and I haven't gone to a range around here yet

To add to what Magnum said, 9mm +P has ballistics pretty much equivalent to .40, and are less expensive. More capacity with pretty much the same stopping power for less money. The .45 IS hard to argue against (unless you say .357 Magnum) as a stopper, but for everyday, concealed carry work? A slim 9mm is very, very hard to beat. Hell half the time I forget I have it on me.

that would be greatly appreciated, don't know other people who have one and I haven't gone to a range around here yet
The only negative thing I have to say about the P99C, and it isn't Walther's fault really, is the very distinct lack of holsters available. A lot people say to look for a holster for the M&P 9C (I think that's what it's called - Smith & Wesson) because it's very similar to the P99C. I personally don't trust that route so I'm going to get a custom one made if I can ever make it to this one shop that's only open 8-5 on weekdays (who does that?!). There are plenty of options out there for the P99 but that's a full-frame 9 mm.

Hey! Tonight me and a bunch of the Honda interns are going to downtown Columbus (Arena District and OSU campus) to celebrate our week off of work! If anyone is in the area give me a PM!

Back