The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Isn't there a meet in Cbus this weekend? I thought there was a thread but didn't see one.

Forgot to update the thread

Where? Quaker Steak & Lube - Columbus. 8500 Lyra Drive Columbus, OH 43240

Had a random through - what's everyone's dream engine?

I know of a lot of RX7/8 guys that have swapped out the Wankel in favor of something piston-powered. This got me thinking. If I ever get tired of the 13B, what engine would I go with? The purist in me says stick with something Mazda (BPx, FEx, KLx?) while the realist says there are better options (LSx?).

Every project car I want in the future always stays with the manufacturer for the next motor.
ie:
1967 f-100 with a 5.0 coyote motor
1972 Datsun 260z with a rb26dett

Had a random through - what's everyone's dream engine?

I know of a lot of RX7/8 guys that have swapped out the Wankel in favor of something piston-powered. This got me thinking. If I ever get tired of the 13B, what engine would I go with? The purist in me says stick with something Mazda (BPx, FEx, KLx?) while the realist says there are better options (LSx?).

For the Camaro, LS3 w/ carb intake and FAST EZ EFI self tuning kit on E85. 400-450 whp & tq should be plenty enough for me.
so this (w/ long tube headers):
809-19301359_freeship.jpg

with this:
throttlebody_2_info_820_1.png

New school tech, old school looks. For the Camaro a LS swap is a no brainer.

For an RX swap, I'd go with an LS, it's pretty much bolt-in now. The 3.5 Ford Ecobost has me intrigued on what it might be able to do (new GT!) and swaping that in might be pretty cool. I think a lot would come down to the goals of project.

If it were a bolt-in affair and cheap, I'd be willing to do a ms6 swap into the wagon. I think a ms3 swap is possible, but why go thru the trouble for an extra 43hp & 88 tq (before any mods) on FWD?

If it were a bolt-in affair and cheap, I'd be willing to do a ms6 swap into the wagon. I think a ms3 swap is possible, but why go thru the trouble for an extra 43hp & 88 tq (before any mods) on FWD?

Because better than NA?

Because better than NA?

I do miss boost. But not enough to do that much work or spend the money. Could boost the v6, but that means custom and we all know custom is either cheap & jankey or nice & costly. I don't have those kinda skillz.

I am curious to see what the v6 could do with just an intake, headers & exhaust and a tune (91+ octane).

Last edited:
Fwd and power isn't as useless as it seems. I put my car through its paces daily and it does fine. I think Patrick was surprised when i let him take it out for a drive as well

Very surprised. I love it and thats on a stock block. I can't imagine what it would be like on my motor when its finally together

Fwd and power isn't as useless as it seems. I put my car through its paces daily and it does fine. I think Patrick was surprised when i let him take it out for a drive as well

Not saying power is useless, to me, doing all the work to swap is. If I started out with the disi motor w/ fwd that would be different or had the 2.3l durtec and wanted more power I would consider it. Also knowing they made an awd 6 is also a factor.

Last edited:
For an RX swap, I'd go with an LS, it's pretty much bolt-in now. The 3.5 Ford Ecobost has me intrigued on what it might be able to do (new GT!) and swaping that in might be pretty cool. I think a lot would come down to the goals of project.
As petty as it sounds the LSx swaps are just so played out. Ecoboost is an interesting option but I'd have to look more into them. If I did any swap I'd want to make sure I stay as close to weight-neutral as possible while still being able to keep the front-middle engine layout. That pretty much rules out the typically 2JZ and RB25 swaps. I think a Mazda KL or Acura/Honda V6 swap would be interesting. Pair one of those with a nice set of individual throttle bodies and some long-tube headers. The last issue of Grassroots Motorsports covered a Acura/Honda V6 swap into a Miata.

Why not an MZR swap? It's used in a lot of cars and between the miata, and speeds you will have a lot of options and knowledge for which way to mod

As petty as it sounds the LSx swaps are just so played out.
so are your RPF1's
vm5331136e.jpg

I love me some RPF1's. I understand, it's just that LS's are cheap and so are parts.
Ecoboost is an interesting option but I'd have to look more into them. If I did any swap I'd want to make sure I stay as close to weight-neutral as possible while still being able to keep the front-middle engine layout. That pretty much rules out the typically 2JZ and RB25 swaps. I think a Mazda KL or Acura/Honda V6 swap would be interesting. Pair one of those with a nice set of individual throttle bodies and some long-tube headers. The last issue of Grassroots Motorsports covered a Acura/Honda V6 swap into a Miata.

The Ecoboost just seems like it has alot of potential, and you can have a BOV or two.

Or a MS6 swap into the Mazda2 :) sleeper
Even with a full cage the car would only weigh 2800lbs

My white MSP was 2545 with full interior and half tank of gas. The yellow MSP should be close to 2400lbs or under. Stock weight is just over 2700lbs. The flares would have to be a decent size, but would be sick. There is a Australian rally team that is doing a awd conversion. For the Mazda2 as well and it looks nasty.

Back