The Official 'Smoking K04' Thread / List - Info Inside

Steve can you give me some insight on the whining issue? My car smokes, first time I took it to the dealer smoking horridly they said it was the PCV and they replaced it... seemed well and didn't smoke, then about 3 weeks later it started smoking at long idle again, like 15 20 minutes.

I took it into dealer ONCE (after first smoking fix) and showed service guy, he saw and confirmed, I couldn't drop it off right there since it was after work at 5:30 and they wouldn't have been able to give me a rental.

Took the car in 2nd time and the service guy no longer worked there.... had them check the car and it didn't smoke at ALL. Now sometimes it will smoke off and one, and once in a while my GF tells me she can hear the turbo whining and she'd never heard it before. So I've been wondering if the bearings are going. Was your whining on and off when it first started.... or was it consistent?

The whining was very loud, almost like a supercharger. You'll know what I mean. When the car was warmed up after 10-15 minutes, it went away and sounded normal.

Add another replacement to the list...

Year/Model: '07 MS6 GT
Mileage: 48xxx miles
Modded (yes/no): yes
Date Replaced: 12/28/09
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): L3Y1-13-70ZC
Comments: Had to fight tooth and nail to have Mazda agree to replace the turbo. Mazda does not want me to drive the car while they wait for parts as the car used 4.5 L of oil in the last 3500 miles! Already had to replace an O2 sensor most likely due to excessive oil being sent out the tailpipe, I can only imagine what the intake side of things looks like.

Very stoked to not have to foot the estimated $3200 CAD to replace the turbo, even more stoked to not smell burnt oil every time I am idling.

Last edited:
Year/Model: 2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport
Mileage: 45,000
Modded (yes/no):stock
Date Replaced:02/04/10
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): L3Y4-13-70ZC
Comments: One synthetic oil change+wait a month+2 days in a 2010 Mazda 3i sedan auto with no power locks=NEW TURBO
Jim Ellis of Marietta is the best, just watch out for vendors backing up(one hit my wife's parked CX-7 while I was at the cashier)

Year/Model:2008
Mileage:20,000
Modded (yes/no):yes (hks racing suction intake, cobb downpipe, borla catback)
Date Replaced:3/10/2010
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice):l3y3-13-70zc
Comments:been smoking for 7 months, started the day i installed my downpipe. looked like a cheech and chong movie. the dealer told me they couldnt replicate the smoke(which only happened at idle) luckily i had taken a picture with my iphone. emailed the service write the pic,they sent it off to mazda and 2 days later had my car back with a new turbo. cross your fingers!

Year/Model: 2007 / MazdaSpeed6
Mileage: 49,857
Modded (yes/no): yes, CAI, rbov, rear motor mount, shift bushings, synthetic fluids,
Date Replaced: Original turbo
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): n/a
Comments: Smoked bad one time at about 15K miles after prolonged idle. Changed to 10W40 Redline oil, changed at 4K. Never smoked again.

Year/Model: 2006 / MazdaSpeed6
Mileage: 63,000
Modded (yes/no): yes, CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Auto EXE TMIC, COBB inlet pipe, STS and shift bushings, synthetic fluids,
Comments: Smokes like crazy after a nice romp and then idling for too long. You should see the faces of people when in drive thrus. Need a fix soon.

Year/Model: 2006 / MazdaSpeed6
Mileage: 63,000
Modded (yes/no): yes, CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Auto EXE TMIC, COBB inlet pipe, STS and shift bushings, synthetic fluids,
Comments: Smokes like crazy after a nice romp and then idling for too long. You should see the faces of people when in drive thrus. Need a fix soon.

Dont worry Mazda is going to fix it soon. The repair is right around the corner.(dance)

LOL

Dont worry Mazda is going to fix it soon. The repair is right around the corner.(dance)

LOL

You sure about that? People are already nearing warranty expirations... I already ran out of my warranty on my 2006 :(

Now I have to hope for any fix to not be expensive. I've heard the best fix is a new turbo.

I dunno, Mazda still uses this motor with current platform cars (CX-7 and MS3) so i would guess that it is in their best interest to fix the issue going forward. Just because our MS6's are getting close to warranty expiration does not mean anything in my opinion. We are forgetting that there are still cars rolling off the production line (now and future) with this same issue which would be under warranty for another 3-5 years.

Now whether a fix comes before our MS6's warranty's expire is another question, if it was a simple fix then it would have been implemented already. I don't think it is fair though to assume they will not fix it ever.

You did see the "LOL", didn't you? I think that means "sarcasm" ;-)
Eez hawd to tell emotions frum teh intarwebz :-/

I dunno, Mazda still uses this motor with current platform cars (CX-7 and MS3) so i would guess that it is in their best interest to fix the issue going forward. Just because our MS6's are getting close to warranty expiration does not mean anything in my opinion. We are forgetting that there are still cars rolling off the production line (now and future) with this same issue which would be under warranty for another 3-5 years.

Now whether a fix comes before our MS6's warranty's expire is another question, if it was a simple fix then it would have been implemented already. I don't think it is fair though to assume they will not fix it ever.

I think it's a fairly simple fix. If you replace the stock K04 with any other turbo, you don't leak. I think it's not cost practical for them, having to repair the thousands of cars (my MS6 production number is 5006 so that's including all MS3s and CX-7s).

I will assume they aren't going to fix it, but that's just me. Most 2006 MS6 warranties will expire like Nov/Dec of this year :( If they were going to implement a fix they would have done it by now, since they have ongoing production cars with the engine/turbo on them. I don't see what's taking them so long? There hasn't even been any progress on it, I've been looking for any TSB updates on the PCV (they replaced mine in my car according to my warranty work.... it stopped smoking...... for like 2 weeks).

If they do issue an update it would be nice to do it as a RECALL, for those of us out of warranty (like myself).

i found something out interesting today.. i have a program that tell's you all the vehicle tsb's and how to basically step by step replace anything thats wrong with it.. so i loaded up the MS6 page and went to the TSB section and guess what, the Turbo Replacement TSB wasent there.. found that to be wierd.. the software is called AllDatapro, pretty neat.

link to it

it gets expensive so i wouldnt reccomend buying it unless your going to be owning an auto shop like me

http://alldatapro.com/includes/main.jsp

this does info on any car, how to fix any car, all the parts numbers you need to fix it.. pays for itslef

there were alot of minor small TSB's in there id say a total of 16 or so just not the Turbo 1, wonder why mazda would leave it out..

Last edited:
^^^^

Because they don't want to pay for it, they will end up losing a lot of money having to perform the fix for tens of thousands of cars.

yeah but this software also says only certain TSB's are to be done at the dealership, so anyone with a complaint has to go to the dealer and if they dont belong to this forum or any forum they would probably get deined the work anyway at 60% of the Mazda dealerships.. guess i shouldve added that part into my post

Wait I'm lost............ if they didn't belong to a forum they'd get denied the work, why? Do we have a TSB here? I didn't see one in the first post.

well its not posted in this thread but there is a TSB out for known Turbo seal issues, such as smoking where you can get ur turbo replaced by the dealer but somone outside this forum wouldnt know that, so thats why i dont get why the TSB wasent on the program..

well its not posted in this thread but there is a TSB out for known Turbo seal issues, such as smoking where you can get ur turbo replaced by the dealer but somone outside this forum wouldnt know that, so thats why i dont get why the TSB wasent on the program..

That's what I don't get either....... I haven't seen any TSB issue for the turbo smoking.

When my pcv valve was replaced there wasn't a TSB associated to it on my warranty papers. I'd love to find this TSB so I can read it :D

In the drive through today and someone said my car was smoking :( when i looked back smoke was pouring out the back of it. My warranty expired on the 4th of June, i don't know what they will say once i bring it in if they will cover it or not. Car only has 40400km on it and 2 years power train lrft, but I've also asked them about this before and he said was small pool of oil in the inlet tube nothing to worry about.

If they do issue an update it would be nice to do it as a RECALL, for those of us out of warranty (like myself).

Nhtsa issues recalls for safety items only. If it is not directly related to safety hazzard it will not go any higher than a tsb. It's weird that no one can find the tsb anymore. Usually tsb gets superceded by another tsb whenever anything changes. Mazda will replace turbos under powetrain warranty but as soon as your warranty expires you are ******...

Back