The Official Mazda2 Wheel Thread

...I went with 195/50R15s because the car isn't exactly grip limit and they will wear fairly evenly for DD duty...

What do you mean by that Phone? When it comes time I was looking at 205/50R15. Looks like the difference between these two is a little bit of sideall height right? About a 1/4"?

What do you mean by that Phone? When it comes time I was looking at 205/50R15. Looks like the difference between these two is a little bit of sideall height right? About a 1/4"?

205/50 is the next size wider, by 10mm. That means more rubber on the road, but it also means more weight and rolling resistance, that isn't really worth it on a car of this size and weight.

Damnit, Tire Rack won't let me try wheels on the 2 without using the ones under "shop by vehicle".

I meant to say "grip limited". The Mazda2 is fairly anemic, and I feel that 195mm wide tires (of summer variety) are more than sufficient for corning grip. There is a definite trade off when you're trying to fit a wide tire on a narrow rim, and my background Miata experience has proven that 205mm goes on a 8" wheel, and 225mm wide goes on a 9" wheel. I've run 225s on a 7" wheel, and it's rough because I'm not using the surface area of the tire in its entirety (ha).

I'll definitely post a trip report when I take the 2 on track over Easter weekend, but I think that 195/50R15s + a rear bar is going to be the sweet spot for the weekend warrior types who drive a Mazda2. The wheel/tire combo can be H Stock or STF legal without a huge weight penalty or fuel economy hit, and the car will still be plenty tossable and fun to drive.

I meant to say "grip limited". The Mazda2 is fairly anemic, and I feel that 195mm wide tires (of summer variety) are more than sufficient for corning grip. There is a definite trade off when you're trying to fit a wide tire on a narrow rim, and my background Miata experience has proven that 205mm goes on a 8" wheel, and 225mm wide goes on a 9" wheel. I've run 225s on a 7" wheel, and it's rough because I'm not using the surface area of the tire in its entirety (ha).

I'll definitely post a trip report when I take the 2 on track over Easter weekend, but I think that 195/50R15s + a rear bar is going to be the sweet spot for the weekend warrior types who drive a Mazda2. The wheel/tire combo can be H Stock or STF legal without a huge weight penalty or fuel economy hit, and the car will still be plenty tossable and fun to drive.

The Grassroots Motorsports guys seemed to be really impressed with the car on 195s. I think I'll probably end up with the same kind of setup you're talking about, 195/50s and some sort of rear bar.

205/50 is the next size wider, by 10mm. That means more rubber on the road, but it also means more weight and rolling resistance, that isn't really worth it on a car of this size and weight.

I would say this is sounds right. On a car this light, with this little HP, stick with (no pun intended) some grippy 195/50 summer tires. Save the little bit of unsprung weight between 195-205.

Btw, Joker and Phone, nice wheel setup's. I've always liked TD wheels, and I'd love to see how those BBS rims would look on a Mz2 lowered. I've been trying to find a set like that up here with no real luck.. well without paying through my ass.

Last edited:
How did you get Tire Rack to show those wheels as an option for the 2? I don't see those Sparcos showing up at all! The bronze, gold and dark matte silver are pretty killer. And that orange is hot...
I didn't realize it when I posted that pic, but the wheels are 5 lug :/ lol

thx for the knowledge guys....good to know when it comes time.....now just to wait for the next shipment of 6ULs......

Sparco Assetto Gara, 16x7 +37 on 205/45/16s.

IMG_3052_w.jpg

IMG_3049_w.jpg

IMG_3047_w.jpg

IMG_3044_w.jpg

Last edited:
215/45-17 Michelins on 17x7 + 40 Racinghart 64878 OE Miata wheels circa 2005 last 4-lug powder coated black.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back