The King has been Dethroned!?!?

I'd like to see GM fit a six speed transaxle to that motor and then drop it into an Astra five door. Now that would be a nice machine...

Its not available in five door form, only three, but we already do. Its called the Opel OPC Astra. Turbocharged four banger with a six cog DIY. Just gotta get it over here from the Duestch land.

sorry to keep posting before I've finished reading, I get carried away as I read articles like this :)
there's only one car that has a hope of keeping up with the Cobalt SS Turbocharged on, well, any road you can think of. And that car, of course, is the Mazdaspeed 3. I suspect there would be blood
I can't wait to see these two in a comparo! Also I have to say that Chevy has a lot right to appeal to the target market here: AutoMeter boost gauge, Brembo calipers, Pioneer speakers... But Edmunds is totally right (and so is //M) to say that this powertrain and handling capability would be truly awe inspiring, and better selling, in an Astra redline slash VXR slash whatever.

yea i really cant look the fact that its a colbalt, ms3 still kicks its ass!

I'm not being a trader or anything but...American cars are coming up
This is a kick in the nuts for me

"this is the only car under $25,000 that has launch control."

Damn it we can use that with 280btq
More on that

You pull the Cobalt SS onto the drag strip and switch the stability control into competition mode. At this point, the DIC (GM's awkward way of saying "Driver Information Center") flashes the happy message: "Launch Control." You put the clutch in, select 1st gear and push the gas pedal to the floor. The Cobalt's computer will immediately rev the engine to 5,100 rpm, and all you have to do is work the clutch

oh well I'm still happy as a camper with my ride...

it doesn't matter if it beats out our car in all aspects. all that matters is that when i was shopping for cars last year, the MS3 was the best choice for me, and i've been absolutely giddy ever since! :D

there will ALWAYS be a better car out there, so there's no use crying over spilled milk! our cars are still fun as hell, and that's all that matters! ;)

I'm not being a trader or anything but...American cars are coming up
This is a kick in the nuts for me

"this is the only car under $25,000 that has launch control."

Damn it we can use that with 280btq
More on that

You pull the Cobalt SS onto the drag strip and switch the stability control into competition mode. At this point, the DIC (GM's awkward way of saying "Driver Information Center") flashes the happy message: "Launch Control." You put the clutch in, select 1st gear and push the gas pedal to the floor. The Cobalt's computer will immediately rev the engine to 5,100 rpm, and all you have to do is work the clutch

oh well I'm still happy as a camper with my ride...

Thats not launch control, thats just keeping you from revving above redline. Its a FWD car, not a WRX or Evo...there is no need to be launching at 5300rpm, lol.

not even because were on a mazda forum here, but really the cobalt does not come CLOSE to an ms3. they always make such a big deal about cars like the srt caliber and the cobalt and the mustang.. but i know one thing, i will never ever buy another american car

Every part on the MS3 has FoMoCo written all over it. Ms3 was only assmbeled in Japan.

LSD? i didnt read the whole article

Yes it does have LSD. As an option.

it doesn't matter if it beats out our car in all aspects. all that matters is that when i was shopping for cars last year, the MS3 was the best choice for me, and i've been absolutely giddy ever since! :D

there will ALWAYS be a better car out there, so there's no use crying over spilled milk! our cars are still fun as hell, and that's all that matters! ;)

Amen to that, you guys should be happy that there are now cars that are able to beat the MS3 more than likely there will now be more parts being made or improvments made by shadetree mechanics to up these cars. Competition does always improve the breed.

Personally I like the car, and I like the MS3 a lot as well. And since I wont be able to buy the MS3 or the new SS for quite some time, it really doesnt matter to me, when I can Ill test drive both and whoever wins me over is the one I will buy...still all that means is the MS3 was what got this small turboed "sports car" thing going, no one has touched them till now.

Last edited:
^^maybe that has something to do with the way it's assembled, perhaps...

naw, i've popped open the windshield cowl, and it's some pretty darn creaky plastic that they put in there using fasteners without proper bushing/padding...=/

The f'n car is barely any faster than the MS3! What is all the whinning about?? Just spend about $300.00 and Buy a Cobb SRI and MM if your worried about getting whipped by a Cobalt ss

Note: Time in sig was achieved with bogged launch and riding out 4th gear.
Mods: Cobb sri & MM, mistakes easily cost me at least .3tenths and 2-4mph I'm sure. So I should be at roughly 14 @103 just like this cobalt ss if not faster most likely.

I just wish we could "safely" add a dp without our turbo taking a dump..

Last edited:
Back